Running out of clothes

Thrifty tips, ideas, news & experiences on anything around the home to shopping to re-cycling etc.
Mo
Legendary Laner

Re: Running out of clothes

Post by Mo »

It's hard that your friends are living with more money than you. It must make your social life more expensive too, if they want to go out to clubs etc and all you can really afford (if you are to have any money left for clothes) is coffee and a chat in your rooms. But at least you are not isolated if you live in a community.
Dance caller. http://mo-dance-caller.blogspot.co.uk/p/what-i-do.html
Sunny Clucker enjoyed Folk music and song in mid-Cheshire
maja1991
Learner Laner

Post by maja1991 »

Hi!

Mo wrote:It's hard that your friends are living with more money than you.

It's not so hard for me as it sounds. I like the idea of simple and frugal living. Even if I would have more money I wouldn't spend so much like others.

Mo wrote:It must make your social life more expensive too, if they want to go out to clubs etc and all you can really afford (if you are to have any money left for clothes) is coffee and a chat in your rooms.

I don't like to go to clubs so much. The music is too loud and I don't like crowded places. The last time I was in a club is about a year ago. I was there with friends and it was nice at the beginning (as it was nearly empty). Then later the music was really loud, I wasn't able to talk to someone without yelling and there were way to much people. It was the night one of my friends had birthday so I stayed until after midnight. Otherwise I would have left much earlier.

I like more to chat with someone and yes, I like coffee. :-) I need coffee at least in the morning. Even if it is expensive and not really needed, I can't be without it.

I think I'm quite shy and introverted. But let that alone, I can't go out right now, it would much too expensive. Even if I would go to a club that charges no entry fee. I can't pay 2 euro for a glass of water or coke, let alone 3 euro for a beer. But as said, that's not kind of a problem for me.

Mo wrote:But at least you are not isolated if you live in a community.

No, I'm not. I'm quite alone at the moment, since most of my friends (and flatmates) are on holiday. But that doesn't matter. I had a nice day today.

The weather was really warm so I went to the park with a book and spent the entire afternoon there. I brought a bottle of water with me (refilled from tap) and some self-made cookies. And since I walked there, I didn't spend any money today. :-)
maja1991
Learner Laner

Post by maja1991 »

Hi!

Today was not my day ...

First of all my flipflops fell apart. I was in a supermarket buying groceries and the strap of my left flipflop came apart. I put it back in but after a few steps it came out again. I checked out and outside after a few steps the strap went out again. The sole was torn so the strap had no support anymore.

So I tossed the flipflops and walked home barefoot. :/

Changed into my ballet flats and went to the park because weather was nice. As I was there my feet hurted because they are worn out and more like slippers I can barely keep on my feet.

All the benches were occupied so I sat down on the lawn. Not a good idea. My jeans ripped more at the back and the sides ...

Go to sleep now ...

Not my day really ...
Richard
Lord Lane of Down...... Site Owner

Post by Richard »

Which City do you live in Maja?
New Member? Get more from the Forum and join in 'Members Chat' - you're very welcome
maja1991
Learner Laner

Post by maja1991 »

Hi!

Richard wrote:Which City do you live in Maja?

I live in a quite small city about 20 minutes (by bus) away from Koblenz. I can see the Rhein from my room :-)

Why do you ask?
Richard

Post by Richard »

Just curious Maja, wondered if I'd been to wherever it is.

Very beautiful place Koblenz, been there once but often passed through )t'
New Member? Get more from the Forum and join in 'Members Chat' - you're very welcome
maja1991
Learner Laner

Post by maja1991 »

Hi!

Richard wrote:Very beautiful place Koblenz, been there once but often passed through )t'

Yes, I like Koblenz very much. It's not so a big city like Cologne, Frankfurt or Munich, even Bonn is larger. I lived in Cologne for about two months and I didn't like it too much. Where I live now, there is not much traffic, it's quite and people are nice. :-)

And there are two discounters and one supermarket where I can go for groceries. I always compare and buy most of the things when they are on reduced prices, so it's good to have alternatives. It happens that I spend hours going from one store to the other to save about one or two euros.

Yesterday I found out there is a flea market today. It's quite far away, I think it will be two hours to walk there (i don't want to spend money for the bus). But I think I will go there and look for pants and shoes. I don't know if there is something I can afford, but it could be. I just wait that it stops raining. Weather is not so good today, we had a thunderstorm early in the morning and it's not really warm at the moment. I hope the weather will be better in a few hours ...
Freeranger
Legendary Laner

Post by Freeranger »

Hi Maja. I think everyone is very sympathetic and many of us have had really hard times financially so can understand. I am impressed that you want to live so independently and are reluctant to rely on your family. Someone has suggested the frugal February ideas, and the cheap meals are a good idea to help stretch your money and save a bit for those jeans.

You have excellent English, so I was wondering whether you might earn a little income by doing something like tutoring schoolchildren or some translation perhaps. I don't know what other skills you have but you might be able to use them to earn the cost of some clothes - even cleaning or gardening if you are really stuck for money. I think we have assumed that you are a student, but there are things like that which could fit around your studies - and you'd be with people a bit more during the holidays when your friends are away.

I saw the posts about looking on household collection days. Over here, in public places, we also have lots of big recycling bins and some of those are for old clothes - you could do the same there.

Another thought - when I was a student there was a hardship fund run by the Students' Union. Parhaps there is a student welfare organisation at your University who could give advice or help.

Good luck )t'
maja1991
Learner Laner

Post by maja1991 »

Hi!

Freeranger wrote:Hi Maja. I think everyone is very sympathetic and many of us have had really hard times financially so can understand. I am impressed that you want to live so independently and are reluctant to rely on your family.

Thanks! :-D

Freeranger wrote:Someone has suggested the frugal February ideas, and the cheap meals are a good idea to help stretch your money and save a bit for those jeans.

Yes, I need to get jeans or other pants very soon. It's really urgent now. :oops:

Freeranger wrote:You have excellent English, so I was wondering whether you might earn a little income by doing something like tutoring schoolchildren or some translation perhaps.

Thanks. I was quite good in English at school, but I never thought about tutoring. Maybe I can do that.

Freeranger wrote:I don't know what other skills you have but you might be able to use them to earn the cost of some clothes - even cleaning or gardening if you are really stuck for money. I think we have assumed that you are a student, but there are things like that which could fit around your studies - and you'd be with people a bit more during the holidays when your friends are away.

I'll think about it, thanks!

Freeranger wrote:I saw the posts about looking on household collection days. Over here, in public places, we also have lots of big recycling bins and some of those are for old clothes - you could do the same there.

We will have "Sperrmüll" here next week. That is a day, where people are allowed to put (larger) things in the streets to be collected by waste collection. There will be funiture, old carpets, tvs and so on. But perhaps I can find some clothes and shoes there.

Freeranger wrote:Another thought - when I was a student there was a hardship fund run by the Students' Union. Parhaps there is a student welfare organisation at your University who could give advice or help.

When I'm back at university (in about a month) I will look for something like that. Thanks!

The trip to the flea market last week was a flop by the way. There were a lot of books, electronics, antique paintings and furnitures. But very little clothes, most of them for children.

I will look at the Sperrmüll next week. I really need a few warm things now. It's getting colder and rainy, right now we have about 15 degrees C but in the morning/evening it's not much above 10 degrees. And it will not be better in the future, on the contrary. Summer is over, I'm afraid. {cry}
maja1991
Learner Laner

Post by maja1991 »

Hi!

Somehow I have no luck. I was looking at the "Sperrmüll" for clothes or shoes. Found nothing but rags and stuff like broken rubber boots sizes too large. Trash.
I ripped one of my tshirts completely (got stuck at a door knob and then it ripped open at the side).
So I have only one shirt, one jeans falling apart and one pair of shoes I can barely walk in anymore.
My jeans are held together by a few safety pins now and I walk out of my shoes every few steps. :oops:

I have only the clothes I wear right now and they are ragged.

I don't want to do that but tomorrow I think I will go to charity. I hate that. I don't want that.

:-(
Richard

Post by Richard »

Sometimes we have to swallow our pride and ask for help.

I've done so in the past and now I'm in a situation where I can sometimes help someone else in need.

Life is a circle )t'

Richard
maja1991
Learner Laner

Post by maja1991 »

Hi!

Richard wrote:Sometimes we have to swallow our pride and ask for help.

Yes, you are right. But I hate it anyway. I have no other choice now I think. I have to wait for next wednesday to go to the charity shop, that's the next date it is open.

Fortunately weather is quite good here. Today I took a walk barefoot. Was just more comfortable than wearing my worn out shoes. It's nice that we have a bit of summer left here ...
maja1991
Learner Laner

Post by maja1991 »

Hi!

Just wanted to say hello again.

Regarding my last post, I wasn't at the charity shop. Well I was, but I couldn't myself get to go inside and ask for clothes. But I made it anyway. About one month with only a holey t-shirt, pants falling apart and half the month without shoes. But I made it.

My friends came home last week and they shared a few things with me. Now I have a pair of jeans and a pair of sweat pants, 2 perfectly fitting t-shirts, 1 hoodie, 1 hoodie-jacket and a rain jacket. Shoes at the moment only flip-flops but I will buy a pair of canvas shoes next week (they are on sale at new yorker for € 2,95).

So it's not much, but I think I'll get along with that for a time. And I feel proud that I made it without going for charity. May sound strange, but it's what I think. Maybe illogical, because what my friends gave me is also a kind of charity. But they are my friends. I didn't ask, they just gave it to me as they saw how I was dressed.

Just wanted to share that with you. Have a good night everyone out there ...
Spreckly
Legendary Laner

Post by Spreckly »

Hello Maja

Good to read that you have now got some changes of clothes. But you do need to find some warm footwear for the winter.

When my three sons were small, I knitted all their jumpers. We had clothes passed down from friends whose children had outgrown them. I haunted jumble sales to find anoraks, and winter things for them. We had a lot of fun trying to keep our heads above water.

I hope you keep fit and well in the coming cold months.

All the very best to you.
bmpsands
Legendary Laner

Post by bmpsands »

I'm glad thigs are looking up a little. As Richard mentioned, some of us have had very hard times. Certainly I have. I remember those times now and try to help other people when I can.

I agree that you have to be sure to get some warm footwear for the winter. You can't study or do anything else effectively if you are uncomfortable. Waterproof stuff is also a good idea, especially as you do so much walking in order to save money.

I'm sure many of us will be thinking of you.

Please don't feel that you are ever alone.

Bea
Bea; 19 hens (most of whom I intended to get); 6 bantams (which I never intended to have); old Benji dog and young Toby dog (who I definitely wanted). Three years into country living and loving it.