It's all new to me!

From Crochet to Collectables and other Interests
jemberelli
Legendary Laner

It's all new to me!

Post by jemberelli »

A while ago I posted that I wanted to have a go at quilting - I think I actually meant patchwork but either way, being an appalling sewer this was always going to be a challenge! I have since decided that I would like to learn to do allsorts - the craft threads on this forum have inspired me time and time again. So, when I saw a sewing machine for local pickup on Eeebaay I decided to go for it! I haven't used a sewing machine since school (about 27 years ago!) and even then I didn't have a clue :oops:

Anyway, with 2 seconds to go I entered the winning bid (I was determined to get it) and have now picked up the not so pretty machine.

Fortunately it had the original manual with it and I have just had a go at threading the bobbin and then threading the sewing machine. With much trepidation I had a practice go and lo and behold, it worked! I cannot believe I actually got it to go first time, I am chuffed to bits )c(

I think I will need a lot of practice before I do anything 'proper' as my sewing wasn't very straight but I am raring to go now. Thank you everyone for posting your lovely craft work, it is inspiring me beyond belief {hug}
No girls at the moment but look forward to getting more in the future. Proud mummy to Hector, a Bedlington Terrier x Jack Russell
mrs boodles
Legendary Laner

Re: It's all new to me!

Post by mrs boodles »

Well done, have fun
manda

Post by manda »

Fabulous Jem....Hope you gets lots of use from it.

I bought a sewing machine a few years ago as it was a real bargain........

My skills on a sewing machine are non-existent............

and they still are.........it's still in the box... )sh {rofwl} {rofwl}
¸.•´¸.•*´¨) ¸.•*¨)✰
(¸.✰´¨(¸.✰ Manda

Living our version of the Good Life with 4 dogs, 6 cats, a cow, a few sheep, Angora Goats and ???? chooks.
Don't get your knickers in a knot..it solves nothing ~ just makes you walk funny
perchy

Post by perchy »

Ooh well done, it is lovely, and my sewing skills were none existent too, just keep practising!! you will soon get the hang of it )t'
albertajune
Legendary Laner

Post by albertajune »

The machine looks great and did the sewing table come with it? I am impressed. I'm sure that you will great loads of pleasure from making things and will soon get the hang of it.
If I dare give one piece of advice it would be, make small to start with and build up to the larger makes. You will then gain quicker satisfaction which will spur you on.
Looking forward to seeing a few pics in the future. )t'
I am now a widow and live with my memories.
jemberelli
Legendary Laner

Post by jemberelli »

Thanks all! Manda, that did make me giggle! June, the machine came with the table, it folds in so is hidden away when it's not being used (all for the grand total of £40). Thanks for the advice June, it is always more than welcome )t' I hope to have some piccies soonish!
No girls at the moment but look forward to getting more in the future. Proud mummy to Hector, a Bedlington Terrier x Jack Russell
wendy

Post by wendy »

Yay what a result. How lucky, that the tension was right straight away.
I had to use one and was hopeless on a sewing machine. But I got there in the end.
I look forward to your lovely crafty stuff )t' )t'
http://www.busheyk9.co.uk

If you can't be a good example........
you will just have to be a horrible warning
jemberelli
Legendary Laner

Post by jemberelli »

Hmm, still struggling with sewing a straight line so there might be a bit of a wait for those piccies! :oops:
perchy

Post by perchy »

Jemberelli wrote:Hmm, still struggling with sewing a straight line so there might be a bit of a wait for those piccies! :oops:

Draw a line with pencil and ruler and practice practice and practice and use the foot as a measure guide )t'

This is no where near perfect but I like it, it is so hard to get the squares to match perfectly }hairout{

mrs boodles
Legendary Laner

Post by mrs boodles »

That's lovely perchy,
wendy

Post by wendy »

Hey Perchy.
That is beautiful )t' .
Kept that quiet, I see.
http://www.busheyk9.co.uk

If you can't be a good example........
you will just have to be a horrible warning
jemberelli
Legendary Laner

Post by jemberelli »

Ooh Perchy that is gorgeous! I have some lovely ready-cut squares of similar pastel coloured floral fabric which would make a lovely cushion cover - you have well and truly inspired me again! Thanks for the tip about the pencil lines, will give that a go )t'