Acer question

Flowers, Trees, Lawns, Infrastructures, Maintenance & anything else!
p.penn

Acer question

Post by p.penn »

My neighbour has a little acer tree in a pot, which for the last 3 years seems to be flourishing well. The only thing is the edges of the leaves keep turning brown. He did a soil test and it wasn't acid enough, and he (while he was chicken sitting for me) tested the chicken poo and that was acid....so....my question is, will it be ok for the acer?

I did say he could get ericaceous compost at the garden centre, but he is more inclined to use the poo if it's ok. What do you think?
Helen xx

3 children, 3 grandchildren, 3 chooks, 3 fish, a shrimp that thinks its a prawn and a dappy dog.
http://www.acountrygrandma.blogspot.com
lancashire lass
Legendary Laner

Re: Acer question

Post by lancashire lass »

I don't know about the chicken poo - I think it needs to be composted first or it could be too strong and have too much nitrogen especially for a potted plant. Brown edges on leaves can also be indicative of lack of water - if the tree has been in the pot for 3 years, the root ball could have filled the pot and during hot weather, may not get enough water even if the pot has been well watered because there isn't enough soil/compost to retain moisture.
p.penn

Post by p.penn »

Hmmm, thanks LL. I was looking at it this morning and said I thought it could be water. He just said he had watered it every day, but as you say, if it is rootbound....

I did say that it should be re-potted, but he wants the tree to stay small. He is also thinking of pruning it :? What do you think?
Helen xx

3 children, 3 grandchildren, 3 chooks, 3 fish, a shrimp that thinks its a prawn and a dappy dog.
http://www.acountrygrandma.blogspot.com
lancashire lass
Legendary Laner

Post by lancashire lass »

I'm probably the last person to advise about ornamental trees (I can easily bore people with what to do about veggies LOL) but even small trees need nutrients from the soil to grow healthy, and if there is none combined with being pot bound, then the tree will eventually die. If he wants it to remain small, then maybe he needs to look up bonsai growing - it might not be a bonsai but there must be certain things they do that ensures the trees stay healthy but that's well out of my league. With regards to pruning ... I really don't know - it might be alright, but he might also lose that lovely shape that Acers have if done wrong.
Mercedes
Legendary Laner

Post by Mercedes »

I know that Acer's shouldn't be planted where they get the early morning sun as that can burn the edges of the leaves. I used to put used tea bags around the base of mine :-D
Lyn

Post by Maggie1 »

Just a suggestion, could it be wind burn
vegalot
Lively Laner

Post by vegalot »

This guide is quite a good one, although I wouldn't recommend cutting the root ball back by 50%, I take around a third off mine every 2 years, when the plant is dormant.

http://www.ehow.co.uk/how_5745834_care-potted-japanese-maples.html

I have 5 which are about 6 years old and one which is over 20 years old, and it's still in its original pot. They are all Dissectum types of Acer.

Every other year I scrape the top inch or so of compost off and replace it with fresh compost and a handful of chicken manure pellets, then replace the slate chippings on top, and they get a weak fish/seaweed tea about every 4 weeks.

I only prune live wood and cut the rootball down while they are dormant.

And as Maggie said, wind is the main problem for them, they do better if sheltered from it.
If a man is alone in the garden and speaks, and there is no woman to hear him, is he still wrong?