Redoak's off-grid life.

Discussion on living for a better and more responsible future
redoak
Legendary Laner

Re: Redoak's off-grid life.

Post by redoak »

Thanks ladies, I really appreciate your comments. I'm not very good at thinking of things to write so not sure how I'd get on with a book! nice idea though :-D

Marc
LittleBrownFrog
Legendary Laner

Post by LittleBrownFrog »

I was thinking about this thread the other day - wondering how the weather has been affecting you?
"Happiness is like a butterfly; the more you chase it, the more it will elude you, but if you turn your attention to other things, it will come and sit softly on your shoulder..." Thoreau.
boosmummy
Longlasting Laner

Post by boosmummy »

Hi Marc, I've just stumbled across this thread and I like lbf am intrigued to know how you're getting on!! X
photos of allotment & other nice things: http://pinterest.com/girlontheplot/

Follow my blog:
http://girlontheplot.blogspot.co.uk/

Just make sure my think works are wound extra tight, and I will formulate a plan!
redoak
Legendary Laner

Post by redoak »

Hi folks, thanks for your inquiries. The weather has made life very difficult for me, as well as for many other people :-D
I'm really glad that I have the tunnel, without that there'd not have been much that I could get on with!
I've been potting loads of plants. Herbs, herbaceous ornamentals and various other perennials that I grew from seed or cuttings last year.
I'll try to add a couple of pics of some of them if I can remember how to do it :-D

These photos were taken a couple of weeks ago so things have come on a bit since then.

LittleBrownFrog
Legendary Laner

You've certainly been busy! The tunnel is clearly earning its keep.
"Happiness is like a butterfly; the more you chase it, the more it will elude you, but if you turn your attention to other things, it will come and sit softly on your shoulder..." Thoreau.
redoak
Legendary Laner

Post by redoak »

I did my second boot sale this year on Sunday. It was a beautiful day, and much more successful than the first. Took twice as much dosh, and expenses were lower so profit was about 300% better :-D
As last year, mints in large pots sold very well, together with other herbs, rhubarb, strawberry plants, plus various ornamentals.
I've been potting and sowing like mad to try and keep them flowing :-D
mrs boodles
Legendary Laner

Post by mrs boodles »

Your polytunnel is so neat and everyhing looks flourishing, good to hear that your second boot sale was a lot better, people flock to them when its nice weather. hope it all goes well for you this season.
LittleBrownFrog
Legendary Laner

I was astonished to see how much someone was selling mint for at a car boot sale on the weekend - £5 for a 6" pot with a straggly light-starved mint plant plonked in the middle. Funnily enough, I didn't buy, and didn't notice anyone else doing so either!
Glad your sale went well Marc.
MissEllie
Legendary Laner

Post by MissEllie »

Glad the bad weather hasnt put a damper on your growing Marc. Its always great to read an update on how youre getting on. :-D
The talent for being happy is appreciating and liking what you have, instead of what you don't have
Woody Allen
redoak
Legendary Laner

Post by redoak »

Wow, no wonder my mints sell well - mine are £2.20 for a lovely bushy plant in a 3 litre pot :-D
redoak
Legendary Laner

Post by redoak »

I did another boot sale on Sunday. It was excellent, sold more plants than the week before, and also more than at any one last year :-D
I put up the prices a little a on a few things and they still seemed to sell just as well. :-D
LittleBrownFrog
Legendary Laner

redoak wrote:I put up the prices a little a on a few things and they still seemed to sell just as well. :-D

Does that mean that your mint is now half the size for twice the price? )j;

Glad you had a good day. I guess this time of year is good because the first few days of proper warmth and sunshine send everyone out to their gardens.
stargazey pie
Learner Laner

Post by stargazey pie »

How's it going Redoaks I tumbled onto your thread when looking at sites for downsizing/off gridding we are just starting our off grid journey, and was wondering how you are getting on?. im trying to follow a similar path so far i've found the peace i've been craving but working twice the hours, never thought i'd ever look forward to winter.
animartco
Lively Laner

Post by animartco »

Hi Redoak, or Marc? Yes, like the others I am curious, as to what you are growing, but also how you live on the land? Doesn't the council bother you about any form of dwelling you try to erect? Oh got to go now and put the chicks to bed it has suddenly got dark and is about to pour ! catch you later
Americanlady
Lively Laner

Post by Americanlady »

Hello again, Redoak. Do you still visit this forum? I've been absent for several months myself and just today I wandered back in. If you do, please recount how you are doing these days.