light bulbs

Thrifty tips, ideas, news & experiences on anything around the home to shopping to re-cycling etc.
Mo
Legendary Laner

Re: light bulbs

Post by Mo »

Can you give us a link or the exact name to look for.
I think I know what you're talking about, but not sure i wouldn't buy the wrong thing.

OH was given a led torch for his birthday, not really needed to use it yet but will in winter.
Dance caller. http://mo-dance-caller.blogspot.co.uk/p/what-i-do.html
Sunny Clucker enjoyed Folk music and song in mid-Cheshire
rhubarb93
Legendary Laner

Post by rhubarb93 »

I think the LED bulbs are far better than the old eco bulbs - they do come on immediately, use very few watts and give a good white light, but they are horribly expensive. I expect the price will drop as they catch on.
Hadn't thought of looking on ebay - will do that now. )t'
KentColon
Learner Laner

Post by KentColon »

KentColon wrote:
Tony H wrote:Hi all after a few trials I have found the daylight ones to give the best bright light they are 6watt ones and cost £3.50 on d-bay which is about the same as the eco led lighting, my mate who is an electrician did a test for me, we put this clamp thingy around the mains wire in the house turned of all other fuses except lights, we put the halogen bulbs back in and then the led and the difference was amazing they were pulling less than 10% of the halogen ones. we have 8 fittings in the kitchen so should be good savings )t'

Thanks for sharing this useful information..I am looking to get similar lights as they are very affordable..
Brianfromdorset
Lively Laner

Post by Brianfromdorset »

Halogen bulbs are notoriously inefficient due to most of the energy being expelled as heat.
L.e.d.s run cool and have a long lifespan.
I work for an electronics company, we build thousands of l.e.d. units a month which go into l.e.d. street lamps all over the world. Its the way forward.
animartco
Lively Laner

Post by animartco »

Eco friendly bulbs?! Don't you believe it. All this talk about eco-friendliness is (which word is currently in vogue as allowed?) They are poisonous three times as bulky as good old tungsten lights, and they don't last as long as the good brand tungstens did. I had a bulb going once for eight years. The new ones start getting dimmer from the moment they're fitted and have to be replaced after three months if you want to be able to read. Fact is there are a lot more light bulbs being thrown away now than there ever were before. Because they are so dim everyone is putting in more light fittings, and using at least three times as many.
lancashire lass
Legendary Laner

Post by lancashire lass »

animartco wrote:Eco friendly bulbs?! Don't you believe it. All this talk about eco-friendliness is (which word is currently in vogue as allowed?) They are poisonous three times as bulky as good old tungsten lights, and they don't last as long as the good brand tungstens did. I had a bulb going once for eight years. The new ones start getting dimmer from the moment they're fitted and have to be replaced after three months if you want to be able to read. Fact is there are a lot more light bulbs being thrown away now than there ever were before. Because they are so dim everyone is putting in more light fittings, and using at least three times as many.

I would agree that "eco friendly" is definitely the wrong word - the low energy bulbs contain mercury so if they are not properly disposed of (that is, they shouldn't be going to landfill but I have yet to see an alternate disposal route being made readily available), then yes they are toxic to the environment. I think the main aim was to reduce carbon emissions which was high on the agenda of global warming at the time - switching say a 4-12W bulb compared to a 60-150W tungsten - but I start to wonder now with the significant price increases in energy bills in recent years if this was known in advance and making everyone switch was a way of softening those bills (?)

I bought an LED bulb from B&Q (cost nearly £13 for one 6W bulb) but it is a very good substitute for the 150W halogen bulb I had in the kitchen (I actually need 3 bulbs but was just testing the one .... with the light summer evenings, it just hasn't been essential yet to replace the other 2 LOL) I'll certainly be going down the LED route when I need to replace bulbs. I've seen some good prices on e-bay for multi-packs (6 bayonet type for £11 / free postage) For reading, worth going for the "Day White" type but for cosy living room light, the "Warm White"