Apple storage ideas.....

Thrifty tips, ideas, news & experiences on anything around the home to shopping to re-cycling etc.
Stef
Legendary Laner

Apple storage ideas.....

Post by Stef »

Apples, lots of apples.

We have a family apple tree and it is ripe. So we have cookers, a sweet red apple and a russet - all on the one tree! The other tree is still clinging onto its teeny little apples - it is a late variety that hasn't grown its usual large apples this year.

This year we are making a big effort to store most of the crop. Usually we just invite the neighbours into scrump them :-D

The good ones are being wrapped in paper or bubble wrap stored in blue mushroom trays.

The bruised and bird pecked ones are being processed in a few different ways. I want to see which method/s work best:

1. cored, peeled and sweated down in butter, then open frozen and bagged.
2. cored, peeled, dropped in boiling water for a moment, dropped in cold water, drained, bagged and frozen.
3. just as 2 but open frozen prior to bagging.

But I would like a few more methods. How do you store yours?
1 dumbo rat still without a name; 2 top eared rats Octavia and Ursula
1 Rhode Rock, 1 Sussex Star, 1 Blue Ranger - The New Monochrome Set

My crafty blog, it's Frugal too http://relovedremnants.blogspot.co.uk/
rhubarb93
Legendary Laner

Re: Apple storage ideas.....

Post by rhubarb93 »

I don't bother with anything fancy, just peel and core (put in water so they don't go brown), slice into chunky slices, pop into plastic bag and freeze. They are fine used in crumbles or cooked down to apple sauce as needed.
The only thing I do do is shake them into a thin layer in the bag and freeze flat so they separate easily.
Mine are eaters but we used to do the same with my mum's bramleys.
Stef
Legendary Laner

Post by Stef »

I'll make that number 4 :-D

Mo
Legendary Laner

Post by Mo »

Stewed and frozen in marge tubs.
Or frozen as pies.

All apples are graded Now / Soon /Good /Best - windfalls and damaged are given away or dealt with, slightly damaged are used soon, good & best are stored in boxes and examined later (regraded). Tiny but good are kept for the birds in hard weather. We have too many to use them all, or wrap them.
Dance caller. http://mo-dance-caller.blogspot.co.uk/p/what-i-do.html
Sunny Clucker enjoyed Folk music and song in mid-Cheshire
Stef
Legendary Laner

Post by Stef »

Oh we definitely have too many to deal with. I am wrapping the perfectest of the perfect ones. I'll get bored with it very soon! I might have a look in supermarkets for the apple boxes with dividers in instead.

The chickens like them. We leave loads for the birds. Even the ones I freeze are properly edible.

I am contemplating pies. But can't make my mind up, wholly uncooked, raw apple, raw pastry? Cooked apple, raw pastry? Both cooked?

Mo
Legendary Laner

Post by Mo »

Fully cooked, especially if you have the oven on anyway (one for now one for later). Then if you are in a hurry for a pudd you just have to defrost. And can have it hot with custard or cold with ice cream.
lancashire lass
Legendary Laner

Post by lancashire lass »

You can jar apple sauce/apple butter (like a concentrated sauce with spices) - you'll need lemon juice to lower the pH to stop bacteria growing and keep apples from going too brown plus sugar. You can cut pieces a bit chunkier when cooking up, then put into clean jars and then with lids loose, heat up in a pan of water to sterilise before closing the lids. They store for a few months.

I have a dehydrator (got this one from Westfalia) and I dry slices of apples and put them into sealed vacuum bags. They are a bit too chewy to eat from the bag (well mine are LOL) but great for popping a few slices into curries and other stews.
bmpsands
Legendary Laner

Post by bmpsands »

On Saturday afternoon I made three apple pies; one for Sunday lunch and two for the freezer. Son and DiL came for lunch and took one spare pie. BiL also came for lunch and took the other. My plan of batch cooking and freezing for later has a flaw. Next time, as soon as the pies are cold they are going in the freezer. To be fair, I always intended to offer one to DiL thinking that she might like to take one back and was giving her the choice of two sizes. BiL just snaffled the other one.

I could get apple boxes from Te$co. Once apples are in, do they need to be covered and/or left in the dark?
Bea; 19 hens (most of whom I intended to get); 6 bantams (which I never intended to have); old Benji dog and young Toby dog (who I definitely wanted). Three years into country living and loving it.
Mo
Legendary Laner

Post by Mo »

I dont deliberately cover the, though they go on shelves so most are shaded.
Never heard that it matters.
THey need to be cool (but not hard frozen!)
Good advice from RHS
Sara

Post by Sara »

rhubarb93 wrote:I don't bother with anything fancy, just peel and core (put in water so they don't go brown), slice into chunky slices, pop into plastic bag and freeze. They are fine used in crumbles or cooked down to apple sauce as needed.

Snap! I do just the same and its perfect for cooking in winter, Any good ones are stored in newspaper in a fruit crate in the cellar )t'
[center]Happy to have shown Titchy Clucker a little corner of France[/center]

Sara XxX
Stef
Legendary Laner

Post by Stef »

Thanks for all the advice.

I now have a new load ready to dip in lemon juice and freeze. Another load to be dipped in sugar and cinnamon and I will be making apple cheese this weekend - I had forgotten how much we liked it last year.

Loads of apples stull left, so more are being sorted all the time. I can't even put them out at the gate, everyone round here has more than enough of their own!

Clucky Carol
Lively Laner

Post by Clucky Carol »

Stefan, Apple cheese sounds lovely, how do you make that? Shame you are not nearer I would have swooped them ! Love Clucky xxx
Stef
Legendary Laner

Post by Stef »

Thanks for the thought!

http://www.channel4.com/4food/recipes/tv-show-recipes/river-cottage-christmas-2010-recipes/pam-s-apple-and-pear-fruit-cheese-recipe

I have Pam the Jam's book and this is the very simple recipe I used, no pears though. We made loads and froze it as I couldn't be bothered with the paraffin wax part.

I bought plastic jelly moulds, 6 for £2 from somewhere and lined them with clingfilm. I just popped the whole thing into the freezer.

But I have since found this recipe http://www.celtnet.org.uk/recipes/miscellaneous/fetch-recipe.php?rid=misc-apple-cheese and will be trying it out over the next couple of weeks. It is a little more straight forward. I can confirm that the maturing process is really important to the taste. Make it now and eat at Christmas.... it is wonderful cheese!

Gwenoakes
Legendary Laner

Post by Gwenoakes »

This is maybe a bit late, but I slice thinly with a couple of tablespoons of sugar and a little water in the bottom of a 2 litre glass basin and microwave for approx 7 mins. Let them cool right down, then into freezer bags.

When I have done as many as I want to I then do a whole weekend of pie making/baking. The reason I do it at the weekend is our electric is 20/20 and we get 20% off from Fri eve 10p.m. until Mond 8a.m., that is until the clocks change. Do keep some apples in freezer with an already made crumble mix to make crumbles at short notice. Usually do 50/50 with blackberries which I have previously frozen too.

I did try the open/tray freezing the other year, but didnt like it very much so reverted back to stewing.
Clucky Carol
Lively Laner

Post by Clucky Carol »

Dear Stefan,
Thanks for the links, looks great and have a relatively Q weekend, so will try this. Am making a few applesauce cakes for the freezer too. Thanks very much. Love Clucky xxx