Recycling Bins House Numbers

Discussion on living for a better and more responsible future
Richard
Lord Lane of Down...... Site Owner

Recycling Bins House Numbers

Post by Richard »

[center]Image[/center]

I know not everyone is for these bins, but if they're managed well by both the Recycling Companies and actual Households, they are doing some good.

However, my BIG gripe at the moment is how some people are numbering them for their house identification.
Came accross a fine example today.

Being frugal is being frugal but stickers are about 60p each, surely there's no need for this kind of artwork - there's many more of these around.

I also respect that some can't wheel their's all around a long row of Terraced Houses etc. but again, if you're going to leave them on the Street, make some effort.

really beats me.
New Member? Get more from the Forum and join in 'Members Chat' - you're very welcome
Totally Scrambled
Site Admin

Re: Recycling Bins House Numbers

Post by Totally Scrambled »

It's easy enough and still frugal to simply cut out a stencil from some old wallpaper, stick it on the bin with a bit of masking tape and then paint. It would make a far neater job.
Dom
Ali Woks My World
Meanqueen
Legendary Laner

Post by Meanqueen »

I have painted my house number on the front of mine, and the first three letters of my street, in case someone with the same number in the next street steals it. :-D My painting is a lot neater than the one illustrated. I have often thought what a waste of money to buy stick on numbers. Let's face it, the bins are ugly, the fancy floral number isn't going to make it look any less ugly.
Ilona
Richard

Post by Richard »

Agreed Ilona.

I shall be very vain now - I used to be a sign-writer for a while - my bins are hand painted
'1. Bramley Cottage' in silver !!

But 60p (or £1.80 if you're in a long street!) for someone who can't write neatly is at least making some effort to maintain some sort of discipline and respect to the visual environment.

I shall make an effort to spot some really bad ones and start up a campaign :-D

Richard )t' )t'
New Member? Get more from the Forum and join in 'Members Chat' - you're very welcome
Kernow

Post by Kernow »

I have to take my bins to a central collecting point at the end of the lane. No bins have numbers none have been taken. It's called honesty
p.penn

Post by p.penn »

My daughter has had her bin stolen twice now, and the council charge her £60 or £70 for a replacement each time.

Perhaps she ought to daub painted numbers like that on hers too, then no-one else would want it!
Helen xx

3 children, 3 grandchildren, 3 chooks, 3 fish, a shrimp that thinks its a prawn and a dappy dog.
http://www.acountrygrandma.blogspot.com
Richard

Post by Richard »

Funnily enough, I was thinking the same Helen !

Kernow, being in a very rural community I think your situation is probably very different.
It's not about honesty and dishonesty, it's about who's is which.

There are only six houses down our no through Lane, we do it simply out of knowing who's is who. The 82 year old chap down the bottom wheels his up, regret the space where they go is right outside my place, but it's only a couple of hours, everyone's very good at taking them back afterwards.

The other thing about urban areas is that some people seem to find fun in setting them alight.

Whatever, if someone is going to identify them, do it nicely.
Mercedes
Legendary Laner

Post by Mercedes »

You've shamed me into ordering some printed labels with our house number and house name on them for our 2 bins {rofwl}
Lyn

Post by Richard »

:oops:

)t' )t' )t'
davina112
Legendary Laner

Post by davina112 »

We have to take our bin to the end of our tiny cul de sac.
We have had one of our bins stolen, I was very naughty the week after and took a bin back, the following week there wasn't a bin for me to take. So I gave up in the end, so now i don't have a brown recycling bin a I refuse to pay the local authority £70.
I am no snob, I am a working class girl and proud of my roots, but some people have no class at all, I too hate to see house numbers daubed onto bins. I will also look for good or bad (however you look at it) examples and take pictures.
[center][/center]Davina
Kernow

Post by Kernow »

See my previous post :-D
Richard

Post by Richard »

I'm very possessive about my bin at work.

[center]Image[/center]
Mercedes
Legendary Laner

Post by Mercedes »

Richard wrote:I'm very possessive about my bin at work.

[center]Image[/center]

What a cute bin Richard, I've never seen one like that.

We have a total of 6 bins in our household. A big brown wheelie bin for food and garden waste which is the only one that is collected weekly. We then have a green wheelie bin for things that can't be recycled and then 2 plastic bins, a paper one and a glass one. I did actually phone our council the other day to ask if I could buy some new replacements for the smaller bins as they were really tatty as the bin men just throw the lids on the pavement and they get all broken over time. I was surprised when they said replacements were free, so I asked for 4 new ones with new lids and today they appeared in my drive so I am very pleased. Have also got my nice labels for the wheelie bins now too )t'
Lyn
Legendary Laner

Post by secret squirrel »

We have stick on. Numbers on ours. )t' mainly because we live opposite a school, who,leave,their bins on our drop,kerb with ours and my neighbours.
This week, my neighbour has MY bin and I have hers. Lol (recycling bin , anyway).
We've just been told we are going to,have smaller bins for food waste. Well OK. But they need to double the size of the recycling bin as they only collect it fortnightly.
As you say, it doesn't take A genius to,make a stencil and then spray paint or do,it with a brush.
I really don't like wheelie bins!!!!! Bit we have to have them I guess .
Lprna
I`m not a teacher for nothing, you know!! If I was clever, I`d be dangerous.
animartco
Lively Laner

Post by animartco »

Richard wrote:Agreed Ilona.

I shall be very vain now - I used to be a sign-writer for a while - my bins are hand painted
'1. Bramley Cottage' in silver !!

But 60p (or £1.80 if you're in a long street!) for someone who can't write neatly is at least making some effort to maintain some sort of discipline and respect to the visual environment.

I shall make an effort to spot some really bad ones and start up a campaign :-D

Richard )t' )t'

Oh Dear I never knew things were so fraught! I've only had my bins for a couple of weeks, and now it looks as if I shall have to do some artwork! Calligraphy it will have to be with me cause it's a name not a number! Good job there are ony two bins! Recycling in one and everythigng else in the other, except of course the things that are toxic like light bulbs and batteries, which the council won't take nohow. I've got some old yellow biohazard bags knockng around. Do you think the council might take the horrible things in those?