Bed, Breakfast and Evening Mealworms

Start your own thread and let us follow you through the year
Linda S
Legendary Laner

Re: Bed, Breakfast and Evening Mealworms

Post by Linda S »

Today Faith was sat in the single cupboard nest box so we were keeping an eye on her to make sure she was ok, and we couldn't help but notice thet Blondie was hanging about the nest box too.

Anyhow hubby couldnt remember how many eggs he had collected so we thought she may be wanting to lay, and didn't want to use the cardboard box, mmm we were wrong again.

As soon as Faith came out Blondie went in and started scoffing Faiths soft burst egg, she has obviously learnt that all Faiths eggs of late are broken and very tasty.
It just shoes how quick they are to catch on with things although she never bothers to check Faiths bed out, and sometimes there is something in there.

Faith was sat in the nest box later on too but didn't pass anything, but we will keep an eye or two on her just in case she feels off it, hopefully she will be fine >fi<

All the other girls are fine and Scarlet hasn't lost any more feathers and is looking more like her usual beautiful well groomed self :-D

Blondie is such a lovely colour but honestly her bloomers are always mucky, because they are so light and she likes nothing better than to roll about in the dirt.
Honestly Lyn would have a fit if she saw the dirty girls frillies, iv told her she has no shame and she just sings to me as usual, ah well thats our Blondie Bombshell you cant help but love her {hug}

The babbies are doing well although Leyla still wont come downstairs with the others,but shes fine when they have thier supervised playtimes in the Walk-in-Run.
Its done nowt but chuck }hairout{ it down so work on getting the roof mesh on is pretty slow at the minute, but we will get there in the end

Our sweet girl Sasha isnt shounting at the babbies much now and has gone back to singing all day in her lovely gentle tones.
Also she is very cleverly outwitting Sorrel when she comes to savage her, shes got brains has that lovely lass and gets away sharpish.
Of course if dad is in there she shadows his evey move, we have said she has taken over where Hope left of in that way, she knows shes safe with him and Sorrel wont attack anywhere near him, for fear of the squeezy water bottle.

Im really glad everyone on these diarys is as mad about thier girls as we are cause i can write all this slushy stuff wi out feeling daft.
Although id still write it anyway and not care what people think, but its good to knoiw there are others jut as crackers as we are {rofwl}
And then there was one, Again!!!!
Jemima
xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
Little Angels Free For Ever
Honey,Lizzi,Peggy-Mitchel,April,Hope,Faith,Blondie, Sorrel,Scarlet, Penny, Gabby, Rosie, Chick-a-Dee
xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
Remembering Our Beautiful Foster Boys we are so sorry that we couldn't keep you

Kuikentje
Longlasting Laner

Post by Kuikentje »

It's great, isn't it? I read them all, I don't always comment because I can't always think of anything to say, but it's fun and I often learn something too. Plus, as you say, it's good to be able to waffle on about them, even if it's little things that only chicken-lovers would understand.
Life's too short to quarrel
Chookaholic
Longlasting Laner

Post by Chookaholic »

I just sat with a cuppa and read the lot.....

brilliant and I jut love the chickens eye view of life , if only we really knew what they were thinking :-D
KarenE
Legendary Laner

Post by KarenE »

Agreed, I love reading through other's diaries and you pick up so much.

I think it'd be easy to tell what chickens were thinking:

'Food, peck peck, food, poo, scratch scratch peck peck, food? Food? Dig and scratch. Poo. peck. Food. Pe...food!'
Karen
Alpha chick to: Smudge, Matisse and Bluebell
Chief servant to Marley the cat
Remembering Weeps, Rexie, Sage, Cassie, Toffee, Captain Gabby, Commander Nugget, Ronnie, Juno, Special Poetry and Reading Casper, Tigger, Tophenanall Rembrandt, Chestnut, Tiddly, Willow, Mango, Coco, Dorian Grey and Pokey.
Also my lost furries Charlie and Jasper
Bridgets Mum
Longlasting Laner

Post by Bridgets Mum »

It's lovely how you know each personality so well Linda. People who feel they are 'just chickens' don't know what they are missing. I love reading your descriptions of their individual little selves. And it aint slushy and I love it that your girls sing.
sandy
Legendary Laner

Post by sandy »

Do you know now I have lost my black and white girls and have 11 gingers people say do you mark them so you know who is who! Doh even the ones that look very similiar can be identified just by the way they walk, talk and act. I think we are a totally different species to the 'muggles'. By the way have I told you I love your heading for the diary )t'
The Pink Ladies..Audrey,Ingrid-Bergman,Madeleline,Norma-Jean,Dora,Janice,Jo,Robyn,Chrissy and Joyce
The Peds…Mork,Mindy,Bell,Saphire &
Vorky ,Blueped,Ginger,Ninger &Linky

Sunny Clucker was ere July 12-21 2012
Sunny Clucker was ere July 6 2016 to Sept 9th 2017
Sunny Clucker is here , rehomed Aug 18th 2018/
Linda S
Legendary Laner

Post by Linda S »

Thanks for your lovely comments ladies, its not hard to write when the subjects are as interesting as this lot here, and im sure all your girls are equally entertaining {hug}

After being a bit below par the other day due to a softee we have been keeping a close eye on our Faith and she has bee fine up to last night.

Hubby went down to tuck the girls in and tell his girls how gorgeous they are and that they would be even more beautiful in the morning after a good nights beauty snooze, when he found Faith looking very sorry for herself.
Bless him he rushed back up to the house for me saying to come and see her as she didnt look good, she wouldn't go to bed she was just stood hunched up.

While i went to get to get a towel to wrap her in to get her in the house without the dogs seeing her, he went straight back to her.

I hobbled as fast as i could down the garden, planning where she would sleep because if she needed a belly bath she wouldn't be able to go back in the shed that night.
Hubby shouted out its ok shes gone to bed but shes passed another softee, phew panic over, so we opened her cupboard door and there she was snuggled down in her straw.
I should say here that the girls have holes cut in the doors in their wardrobe and cupoard we dont shut them in, and the single cupboard where Faith used to sleep now has the door open fully and is another nest box for them

They dont half worry us these girls dont they, she was fine at teatime and then a couple of hours later she was very different, it just goes to show how quickly they can be affected.
I just wish she would stop laying for good, a couple of weeks ago it looked like her pipes were packing up and now shes laying some strange things again and i hate to see her so sad and not her usual gobby self {cry}

All the other girls are very well, we only got 2 eggs today and this happened a week or so ago so maybe Sasha and Sorrel are starting to wind down a bit.
Both those girls took a while to get into laying when they came home but they have given us plenty of lovely eggs, sometimes every day for a weeek or so and the miss a day or two.
Bless them we didn't get them to give us eggs and didn't expect any but they have been very wellcome bonus, :-D

We've managed to get some of the mesh on the roof of the run, but today and yesterday have had high winds and rain.
The babies are growing fast and love being loose in the run when we are there, they dont half shift if a pigeon flys over though, but im not suprised they are scared the flippin things are massive due to all the feed they nick off us
Leyla is ever so funny shes scared to death of being in the small run with the babbies and goes in her own run, but when the big girls come to her run she stands up to them and has a go at them.
As shes so tiny i cant help but laugh at how brave she is with the big ones and runs screaming from the littlies, it must be cause she knows they cant get at her {rofwl}
Last edited by Linda S on 16 Sep 2013, 23:31, edited 2 times in total.
Jemima
xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
Honey,Lizzi,Peggy-Mitchel,April,Hope,Faith,Blondie, Sorrel,Scarlet, Penny, Gabby, Rosie, Chick-a-Dee
Linda S
Legendary Laner

Post by Linda S »

Hi Sandy like you say they can be told apart even when they are very similar as they all have differet personalities and that. :-D
Me and hubby have said before just how many different shades of red/brown there are and with gold and blonde thrown in they arnt just plain little red girls

We have had people who think that our horses are only grass cutters, yes they are eating machines {rofwl} but folks who dont know horses dont realise how different they all are or that they have feelings and emotions.

Its natural i suppose that if people dont know them they just think that animals are dumb, what the dont realise is that you dont have to talk to have a voice and be heard as we know :-D
Jemima
xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
sandy
Legendary Laner

Post by sandy »

How true that last sentence is. I will never ever go to Rome again, a horse didn't move when his huge rough looking brute of a driver yanked the reins with new tourist on board. I was stood feet away and the horse was looking straight at me with such weary sad eyes. Another man on foot yanked and pulled the poor horse forward. I'm crying just remembering this but it was so obvious the poor animal was so weary.
So glad Faith passed that softie, such a relief for you and her {hug}
The Pink Ladies..Audrey,Ingrid-Bergman,Madeleline,Norma-Jean,Dora,Janice,Jo,Robyn,Chrissy and Joyce

Bridgets Mum
Longlasting Laner

Post by Bridgets Mum »

I'm so pleased that it has been pointed out to me at last; the 'other' people are obviously muggles. Why didn't I realise that before?
My girls are all gingers (and probably always will be, due to my chronic case of ex battiness) and are all completely different looking, their feathers make different patterns in different shades of gold and ginger, their combs are different, their body language is different, their preferences are different and their habits are different. (Get out of my face Jenny Jones!)
All our beautiful furred and feathered friends have needs, emotions and rights. Why is that so hard for so many people to understand? Muggles. Bah!
Linda S
Legendary Laner

Post by Linda S »

We have at last got the mesh on the run roof, and depending onthe cash flow are going to get either a clear tarp or plastic sheets next wk.
So the babbies are out in the big run all day now )c( .

We let Scarlet meet them first and Sweetie went to go for her, all it took was one lunge off Scarlet and she was off running, Francine went in all guns blazing and was put i her place too.
Little Leyla was going very near Scarlet and not once was there any pecking, but then again Leyla wasnt confrontational like the other little boogers.
Blondie was next in with Scarlet and just a little bit of chasing.
Sasha came in next and promptly let them know that now they were here she wouldnt be bottom hen for long, and we had to take her out after a few minutes.

As hubby put her out Sorrel let herself in the crafty girl, anyway i was worried sick in case she went into physco Sorrel mode and tried to mur.der the littlies.
Sorrel was too interested in finding stray mealworms to be bothered with those annoying young things and i had my back to them.
As i turned round all i saw was 2 brown feathered bodies scrapping, it was Sorrel and Leyla yike*
Fearing the worst I shouted at hubby to get Sorrel off Leyla when i realised that it wasnt Sorrel who was attacking but tiny little Leyla, and she was hanging fast onto Sorrels neck with her beak.
Anyhow she put Sorrel down and strutted of in a flurry of feathers leaving Sorrel looking bemused and very shocked

Honestly the look on her face was priceless and we expected her to go and wipe Leyla off the face of the earth but she just shook herself and carried on foraging for goodies.
The thing to remember is that Leyla is terrified of the other two babies, but here she was launching herself at the terminater and surviving.
The other two were well and truly stunned and gave her a wide birth for a while until they realised she was still scared of them

Most folks have a lap chicken but Leyla isnt satisfied with just that and she loves to perch on hubbies shoulder. Leyla wont go up the ark slope and pass the others to go to bed ans so we have to open the nest end for her to go in and this is when she started jumping on hubby to get in. Im really glad we have the mesh on now cause on friday she jumped from the floor to his shoulder and just proved how easy it would be for them to get out.

Our poor big girls have had some poorly days lately Scarlet was off it and laid a softy a couple of weeks ago.
Sasha is having a rough time too she will lay a softy and then a massive one and then not lay for a few days and she has been a bit miserable the poor love, so she might be winding down in the laying dept.

Our poor little Faith is really not well today, yesterday i saw something in her vent and got some tissue to clean her up. When i got hold of what i thought was a bit of straw i discovered it was inside her so while hubby held her i managed to gently help her expel a 6 inch long soft shell or membraine or whatever it was.
Also although her vent itself is clean and pink, her feathers are a bit mucky with whitish gunk, so tommorrow i might give her a lovely warm bath she loved it last time and seemed to pick up a bit.
I have some ABs and just to be on the safe side she is having a few days on them, she has only laid one complete normal egg lately and i cant wait for her to stop altogether she really is suffering. I actaually got a cuddle off her today, shes eating although not quite as much as normal but her crop was full at bedtime so >fi< our little lady is feeling better in the morning {hug}
Jemima
xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
aishakali
Legendary Laner

Post by aishakali »

Sounds like you are having fun and games too Linda! They do surprise us don't they. The girl you think is going to be a problem turns out not to be and the littlies standing up for themselves :-D Are your babies Bantams? I think I recall you saying they were.
I'm so chuffed with my Sweetie, she's always been bottom hen so I thought maybe she would be a bit iffy with the teenys, but no, she's been so gentle with them {hug}
Sounds like it shouldn't take too long for you to have a happy flock, I'll keep my fingers crossed for both of us anyway >fi< >fi<
LYN
sandy
Legendary Laner

Post by sandy »

You are certainly being kept busy! We are sending lots of >fi< to Faith poor little girl, must be really uncomfortable

aishakali
Legendary Laner

Post by aishakali »

Linda I'm sorry I must have missed the last bit of your diary :oops: Really hope Faith is feeling better in the morning. Perhaps she hasn't passed all of the egg, just the shell, and yes, a bath would probably help her >fi<. It's a worry when they pass softies. Sal has layed nothing else for weeks and weeks. Hope your diary reads that all is well tomorrow {hug}
LYN
Linda S
Legendary Laner

Post by Linda S »

Hi Lynn yes our babbies are banties, Aces Frankii is thier dad and Francine is just like him, Sweetie is very much like Chookaholics gorgeous Mr Pepperpot :-D

Sandy thanks for you good wishes for Faith and you too Lynn, she still isnt very well but has pottered about in the garden.
She was in bed for 6 o'clock and last night and tonight is sleeping with her sisters instead of alone, she obviously wants the comfort of thier warm bodies round her {hug}
We gave her a second dose of ABs today so hopefully tomorrow they might have started to make a difference to her >fi< will let you know how she is.

All the others are very well, no softees today just tiny bit of yellow and clear stuff where Faith had been laid, so 7 happy girls and poorly little Faith, they dont half worry us dont they {hug}
Jemima
xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx