karen's chicken diary

Start your own thread and let us follow you through the year
KarenE
Legendary Laner

Re: karen's chicken diary

Post by KarenE »

Your girls must be pretty chilled Sandy. Do you find they get the munchies a lot? {rofwl}
Karen
Alpha chick to: Smudge, Matisse and Bluebell
Chief servant to Marley the cat
Remembering Weeps, Rexie, Sage, Cassie, Toffee, Captain Gabby, Commander Nugget, Ronnie, Juno, Special Poetry and Reading Casper, Tigger, Tophenanall Rembrandt, Chestnut, Tiddly, Willow, Mango, Coco, Dorian Grey and Pokey.
Also my lost furries Charlie and Jasper

sandy
Legendary Laner

Post by sandy »

Well they are lucky, they haven't got to negotiate walking over a rickety bridge in the dark with the air full of the stuff
The Pink Ladies..Audrey,Ingrid-Bergman,Madeleline,Norma-Jean,Dora,Janice,Jo,Robyn,Chrissy and Joyce
The Peds…Mork,Mindy,Bell,Saphire &
Vorky ,Blueped,Ginger,Ninger &Linky

Sunny Clucker was ere July 12-21 2012
Sunny Clucker was ere July 6 2016 to Sept 9th 2017
Sunny Clucker is here , rehomed Aug 18th 2018/
KarenE
Legendary Laner

Post by KarenE »

Ah, so it's you who gets the munchies then? {rofwl}

Gabby hasn't got arthritis - well, she might have a bit, if chickens can, but that wasn't the problem. She was tired and out of sorts because she was growing new feathers on her wings and little bald head, bless her! She looks like a little pin cushion. She's laying again and zipping around quite happily.

Tomorrow I'll try and post some pics of the girls. Poor Cass is now moulting but she's a hardy little thing and it doesn't seem to be affecting her too much.
Karen
Remembering Weeps, Rexie, Sage, Cassie, Toffee, Captain Gabby, Commander Nugget, Ronnie, Juno, Special Poetry and Reading Casper, Tigger, Tophenanall Rembrandt, Chestnut, Tiddly, Willow, Mango, Coco, Dorian Grey and Pokey.
sandy
Legendary Laner

Post by sandy »

Looking forward to those pics :-D
The Pink Ladies..Audrey,Ingrid-Bergman,Madeleline,Norma-Jean,Dora,Janice,Jo,Robyn,Chrissy and Joyce

KarenE
Legendary Laner

Post by KarenE »

Sad day today.

Cass has been moulting, which always gets me excited because I want all my girls to end their lives with a full set of feathers rather than the little scruff balls they come as. I am coming to dread moults, as Rex, Weeps and now Cass have sickened and died through moults - I'm sure just a coincidence, but even so. Anyway, she's been a bit slower than usual but still dashing round the garden with the others, stuffing her face and dustbathing everywhere, tail still up and comb nice and bright. Yesterday I noticed her poos were runnier and greener than usual, and there were a couple of tiny lashes in her nestbox. She disappeared from the garden in the afternoon and had taken herself off to bed early. Today, wouldn't come out at all so I made sure she had water and mash, and she seemed to struggle to see it.

So off she went to the vets today, as i suspected peritonitis or even a small stroke which had affected her coordination or even blindness. Your mind does work overtime. Anyway, the vet confirmed my fears that she had peritonitis, or possibly tumours too. We did the right thing, gave her a huge cuddle and said goodbye.

Cass-Cass did love a snuggle and was very fond of squeezing in between my legs or snuggling up to the side of me, as you can see in the picture.

Looking on the bright side, the other monsters, especially her bezzie mate Nugget, didn't seem to notice and so hopefully they'll adapt quite quickly. They can be so fickle sometimes, but I may be doing Nuggsy a disservice. They are nothing if not survivors, let's face it.

Nugget has feathered up nicely - here are the before and after pics:

Nugget - April 2012

Nugget - Sept 2013

She has even become blonder, either that or she's been showering in lemon juice while I haven't been looking.

And she has a twin! Gabby has done a remarkable job of refeathering and has nearly a full head of feathers now too (no photo of that yet, only of her looking like Pinhead) which makes it hard to tell her and Nugget apart. Well, it would be if she had a tail but she doesn't so that's her distinguishing feature. She's really come out of her shell too, it's so lovely to see their little personalities blossom. The three (four as was) of them are getting on really well.

Cass didn't really feather up very well so can't really post before and after pics of her (in fact, I'm sure she was scruffier than when we first got her) but at least she had a great year and a bit with us, and she was able to enjoy snuggles and sunbathes and lovely treats right the way till the end.

I do have some videos of the four of them taken recently but am still trying to figure out how to upload them, as they are too big. Can you compress video files does anyone know?
Karen
aishakali
Legendary Laner

Post by aishakali »

Karen so sorry you lost Cass, she looked a lovely girl and very affectionate cuddling up to you {hug}
LYN
sandy
Legendary Laner

Post by sandy »

So very sorry to hear about Cassie {hug} Bless her she didn't suffer an undignified ending thank goodness. The change in Nugget is amazing isn't it

KarenE
Legendary Laner

Post by KarenE »

Four into three doesn't go, does it?

Four eggs today from three girls. Someone's maths are off.

Poor Nugget looked down in the beak yesterday, I've been keeping an eye on her since Cassie went. I think she's been missing her, although she's been pottering round quite happily with Gabby and Toffee in tow. Anyway, yesterday she was definitely slower than usual and today there was a softie in the nest box. So up I scooped 3 eggs including the softie (which got fed back to the girls) and then a couple of hours later, the little tinker had gone in and laid another one - proper shelled this time. Poor little girl must've been egg-jamed. What a relief it must be to get them out!

There have been a couple of softies lately so they're on the limestone flour in their mash but I'm wondering if it's either stress or Nugget's laying days are drawing to a close.

Once all were out, Nugget and I had a lovely cuddle until she decided to poop all down me then ran off. {warn} If only I had... something like... a poop bucket! )run(

Gabby is becoming increasingly difficult to tell apart from Nugget (I really must get a picture) as she's now started to develop a tail as well. She's slimmer than Nugget (who has really developed a matronly figure now that she's grown her feathers) which helps, and she's still got that wonky walk but looked at from above, they are the spit of each other.

The girls have been enjoying the last of the summer/autumn sunshine. Yesterday and today they've been helping me to dig over two of my veg plots, and have been tidying up the tomatoes that the slugs had got to. They also had some lovely blackberries that hubby and I foraged yesterday, plus the odd windfall apple. Not all in the same day, obviously! I wonder if autumn is chickens' favourite time of the year?
Karen
aishakali
Legendary Laner

Post by aishakali »

KarenE wrote:
Once all were out, Nugget and I had a lovely cuddle until she decided to poop all down me then ran off. {warn} If only I had... something like... a poop bucket! )run(

{rofwl} Bet you write on yours now, or draw sweet smelling flowers!!!

Glad Nugget passed her softie ok, she must be a strong little girl to lay another egg so soon after )t' Sal has laid a softie nearly every day, just wish she'd stop but I think she just likes an egg for breakfast!
LYN
Chookaholic
Longlasting Laner

Post by Chookaholic »

so sorry to read you lost one of your girls. Its always hard but seems to hit a nerve when its a "cuddly" you have to say goodbye to , I miss my Dandelion following me around :?

Nugget looks gorgeous >ch< +f+ , but then im biased as i loooove chooks! )t'
sandy
Legendary Laner

Post by sandy »

Thank goodness Nugget has got rid of all of those eggs! I do hope you were not wearing your sunday best when you were poohed on? My girls are most unimpressed with me as they expect blackberries when I walk around their run and ours are all shrivelled up now.

KarenE
Legendary Laner

Post by KarenE »

I would need my head testing if i wore Sunday best anywhere near the chickens! It's scruffy torn old jotting pants, Nugget leaves dirty little claw marks all over me. She does so like to step in poo, then hop up onto my knee. Another big poo all down me today, she's making quite a habit of it!

Lynn - I can't get too close to my poo bucket, I like to keep it at arms length, so no art on the side of mine!

Speaking of Nugget and habits, seems she's developing a softy habit - down in the beak again today with no egg, so I'm expecting another softie tomorrow. She scoffed loads of mash with limestone flour in though so hopefully that will help her out. All of my girls have found baths stressful, so I'm not sure they have really helped before, but if she carries on I'll take the plunge (so to speak - more old leggings needed!)

Pics for today:

A pair of lovely fluffy bloomers:

A close up of gabby showing her gorgeous new feathers (and a beakful of mash):

And Gabby as she was when she first came home a few months ago:

Nugget and Gabby, or am I just seeing double??

Gabby's on the left of the pic - hasn't she changed? Gorgeous girl. Toffee hasn't changed a bit, she was a stunner when we picked her up. Nuggsie is also stunning, as you can see from the 'before' pic of her a few posts back.

Chookaholic - so sorry again about Dandelion, it's amazing how empty the garden seems without them. I am missing my Cass-Cass, especially today as I managed to slip out for a bit of time today to sit with the girls. They were all whizzing about the garden, but Cass would have come and sunbathed with me. And there's not a day goes by that I don't miss my big fat Weeps (one of my original girlies) but I don't mind that, as it means she's still with us in some way.

Jasper has become super clingy again, he's spent the last few days sitting on my feet in the living room while I try to work, and then trying to follow me round the garden (but the girls chase him away). I found the remnants of a blackbird in the garden, I think maybe he's taking revenge for the big birds who terrorise him round his own garden! )reap(
Karen
aishakali
Legendary Laner

Post by aishakali »

Beautiful pics and gorgeous fluffy bums!! (I'm Lyn and I'm a fluffy bum addict :? )
I know we miss all our girls who have gone over the bridge {cry} My Boots was my only lap sitter, and if I was sitting in the garden she would either jump on my lap or lie down just by my feet like a dog {hug} I bet if anyone was asked to describe the characters of their lost hens, they could in a heartbeat. Its amazing how these birds flutter into your heart )t(
LYN
Linda S
Legendary Laner

Post by Linda S »

Karen you have some gorgeous girls its amazing how they transform from the sorry little scraps of life that we first see :-D

Im so sorry you lost your beautiful Cass she was obviously a girl who loved her Mum and her creature comforts and deservidly so. {hug}

I dont think we properly realise just how much we love these girls and what an important part they play in our lives and happiness until we lose one. {hug}
People who dont have hens look at me as if im crackers when i say our girls are as much a part of our family as our other pets, but they really are and alot of us feel the same. Im really enjoying your diary and the tales of your lovely lasses :-D Lindaxx
And then there was one, Again!!!!
Jemima
xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
Little Angels Free For Ever
Honey,Lizzi,Peggy-Mitchel,April,Hope,Faith,Blondie, Sorrel,Scarlet, Penny, Gabby, Rosie, Chick-a-Dee
xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
Remembering Our Beautiful Foster Boys we are so sorry that we couldn't keep you
xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
sandy
Legendary Laner

Post by sandy »

Love your photos )t' Don't worry too much about softies, Olive is a softie queen whatever she eats. When she seems a bit quieter than usual I use a hot water bottle , well a pad/dishcloth dunked in hot water and wrapped in a plastic bag then hold it under the girls under carriage.