How to make bread

Recipes, Cooking tips and maybe some 'Home Made' secrets !
Mercedes
Legendary Laner

How to make bread

Post by Mercedes »

I've been busy baking cupcakes this last few weeks and decided that as my handheld mixer was very old I would go and buy myself a stand mixer. I really wanted the Kitchenaid one, well who wouldn't, but I bought the Kenwood K-mix as it does the same job and is cheaper.

So today I thought instead of making cakes I would have a go at bread as the mixer has dough hooks. I'd picked up a few packs of that ready to bake stuff as I couldn't remember how to make bread totally from scratch :oops:

Right now the bread is in the airing cupboard proving, although knowing me it will end up being a mess. What I don't understand is how people make bread using a food mixer. All the recipes I see are for making it by hand or using a bread machine. I have no idea if I am supposed to do all the kneading in the machine or take it out and knead it by hand. Today I kind of half followed the instructions and mixed it in the machine, left it, then kneaded it by hand, which was hard work. As the kneading part is the hardest bit I'm not if I should have let the machine do that bit >coc<
Lyn

Re: How to make bread

Post by p.penn »

If you have a kenwood, then you just let the machine do the kneading. you will of course have to shape it before the final proving.

A bread machine is different as it bakes it too.
Helen xx

3 children, 3 grandchildren, 3 chooks, 3 fish, a shrimp that thinks its a prawn and a dappy dog.
http://www.acountrygrandma.blogspot.com
Mercedes
Legendary Laner

Post by Mercedes »

p.penn wrote:If you have a kenwood, then you just let the machine do the kneading. you will of course have to shape it before the final proving.

A bread machine is different as it bakes it too.

Thanks Helen, honestly I just don't have a clue. There are only a handful of recipe cards with the mixer and none are for bread and the instructions for the bread mix I bought are very vague too. Okay seems like I should have left the dough in the machine and not done it by hand {rofwl}
Lyn

Post by p.penn »

Does your machine have dough hooks? Or do you just use the k beater - I can't remember. There should be some sort of dough recipe included with your mixer - if not, perhaps there may be on the kenwood website. Oh yes, found it HERE
Helen xx

3 children, 3 grandchildren, 3 chooks, 3 fish, a shrimp that thinks its a prawn and a dappy dog.
secret squirrel
Legendary Laner

Post by secret squirrel »

Yup as Helen says, you can do it all,in the machine and shape by hand. As long as you follow,he instructions those little bread mixes are excellent. Xxxx
I have a Kenwood Major, bought over 30 years ago which is still going strong. It's a bit battered and chipped and more noisy than a new one but I am loathe to part with it.
It came with a mincer and a blender but I only use the mixer bit these days.
Have thought it would be nice to,have a nice new Kitchenaid bit can't justify spending the money when what I have is a faithful trusty servant .
My mum has still got hers too. Cost £130 32 years ago and was worth every penny. Xxxx
Tell us how your loaf turn out. Sounds yummy. Xxxx
Lorna {hug}
I`m not a teacher for nothing, you know!! If I was clever, I`d be dangerous.
Mercedes
Legendary Laner

Post by Mercedes »

p.penn wrote:Does your machine have dough hooks? Or do you just use the k beater - I can't remember. There should be some sort of dough recipe included with your mixer - if not, perhaps there may be on the kenwood website. Oh yes, found it HERE

It has the dough hooks Helen but unlike that video link it doesn't have a temperature control, so I can't do all the fancy things that nifty machine does. I've tested my loaf on my mum, she is a great lover of bread, it met with her approval so I will carry on and maybe make one next time that I can eat! I still wish I had bought the Kitchenaid mixer but oh well :?
Lyn

Post by saint-spoon »

the bread looked delish on FB )t'
Bah Humbug
p.penn

Post by p.penn »

Oh sorry - that's what comes of trying to do a gazillion things at once! I thought it was for the mixer. I will google again!
Helen xx

Stef
Legendary Laner

Post by Stef »

Instructions on our Kwood are a bit involved, 2 different speeds for specified times.

But Dan Leppard and Paul Hollywood say to put the dough hooks on and let it go at its slowest speed for 5 minutes, so we do that and then shape by hand. You can use the machine to knock back the dough too, slowest speed for 1 minute - but I find my hands can usually manage that bit. I have tried it and it is fine if you trust the timings.

I make bread like this on a weekly basis and have never had a problem with the dough.
1 dumbo rat still without a name; 2 top eared rats Octavia and Ursula
1 Rhode Rock, 1 Sussex Star, 1 Blue Ranger - The New Monochrome Set

My crafty blog, it's Frugal too http://relovedremnants.blogspot.co.uk/
Mercedes
Legendary Laner

Post by Mercedes »

Stef wrote:Instructions on our Kwood are a bit involved, 2 different speeds for specified times.

But Dan Leppard and Paul Hollywood say to put the dough hooks on and let it go at its slowest speed for 5 minutes, so we do that and then shape by hand. You can use the machine to knock back the dough too, slowest speed for 1 minute - but I find my hands can usually manage that bit. I have tried it and it is fine if you trust the timings.

I make bread like this on a weekly basis and have never had a problem with the dough.

I love Paul Hollywood, I think I love him far too much than is healthy {rofwl}

Back to bread, thanks for those tips, I do find it all confusing. I tried to make a white loaf using one of those bread mixes yesterday and it was such a sticky mess that I was covered in bread dough and I had to knock the dough back again as I proved it on a baking sheet and it just flopped into a huge mess. I think I need to go to Lakeland and get one of those special things they use for scooping up the dough as I literally got it everywhere :?

I will try cakes today I think :-D
Lyn