Wood burners / stoves

Thrifty tips, ideas, news & experiences on anything around the home to shopping to re-cycling etc.
Chicken drumstick
Longlasting Laner

Wood burners / stoves

Post by Chicken drumstick »

Anyone know roughly how much they are to install by a pro ?

I,ve seen them as kits on the Net for under £500 and i can get free wood anytime to store / burn .

We have 2 gas fires but would love to dump one and replace with a wood stove burner just for heating the living room in winter .

Any ideas ?
Totally Scrambled
Site Admin

Re: Wood burners / stoves

Post by Totally Scrambled »

Don't know the cost of fitting but do know that the chimney has to have a flue liner and they are on the pricey side even befor fitting.
Dom
Ali Woks My World
bmpsands
Legendary Laner

Post by bmpsands »

We had a new multi fuel stove fitted when we moved into this house last year. We got the old, exploded one taken out and the brickwork removed. The original large fireplace was restored and a new hearth made from quarry tiles we were digging up in the garden. We don't have a flue liner. The chimney was tested all ends up from Tuesday, including the other fireplace on the same side and the air quality in the bedrooms through which the chimney breast runs. The whole job took 2 days in total and the cost was £1,000 for everything including the stove. If we'd needed a flue liner this would have added £250 to the cost, according to the firm who installed it.

Our stove is quite small, but heats a big kitchen/diner and the heat also helps in the entrance hall and the sitting room on that side of the house.

Hope this helps.
Bea; 19 hens (most of whom I intended to get); 6 bantams (which I never intended to have); old Benji dog and young Toby dog (who I definitely wanted). Three years into country living and loving it.
Brianfromdorset
Lively Laner

Post by Brianfromdorset »

Bmpsands thats a really good price especially as that includes the stove too!
How many kilowatts is your stove rated at? Theres some great small stoves out there, I reckon when we get one a 5kw will be suitable for the size we have to heat.
p.penn

Post by p.penn »

Yes that does sound a good price )t'

My neighbour put one in without a liner, and as we have adjoining walls, tar/sappy stuff came through into my house, so he lined his chimney.

I absolutely adore my log fire, and quite aside from the cost, don't really want a woodburner, but am beginning to think it's a functional, if not aesthetic solution. I feel I am losing a lot of house heat up the chimney when the fire isn't lit. :?
Helen xx

3 children, 3 grandchildren, 3 chooks, 3 fish, a shrimp that thinks its a prawn and a dappy dog.
http://www.acountrygrandma.blogspot.com
silverback
Legendary Laner

Post by silverback »

Price does depend on a few things, ours cost £1100 but that did not include the stove!.
We had a HETAS registered installer do the job, you can do it yourself, but this would involve building regulations, very important for health and safety, and for insurance reasons!.
I am old and wise, because I was young and stupid!.
davina112
Legendary Laner

Post by davina112 »

We had ours supplied and installed, including the formation of the recess and the old gas fire removed, a marble hearth, chimney swept, no flue liner needed for £1200, that was 3 years ago. By far the best thing we have done in our house, it's a dual fuel model. Would certainly recommend it.
[center][/center]Davina
bmpsands
Legendary Laner

Post by bmpsands »

Our multifuel burner is 5kw. It heats (oh boy, does it heat) a kitchen/diner that is approximately 15 x 25 feet, plus the hall and some heat goes into the sitting room. Luckily our bedroom is directly above this and so if the stove has been on in the late afternoon/early evening we still get the benefit of some residual heat.
Bea; 19 hens (most of whom I intended to get); 6 bantams (which I never intended to have); old Benji dog and young Toby dog (who I definitely wanted). Three years into country living and loving it.
silky
Longlasting Laner

Post by silky »

silky
Longlasting Laner

Post by silky »

Grow your own Willow Trees

The Willow will grow about 6ft (2m) a year and can be grown from planting the cuttings into the ground. Their final height will be about 20ft (3.5m).

If you have space for four rows of ten trees 3ft (1.3m) apart, after three years you will never have to buy wood for the fire again.

After three growing seasons, coppice the first row by cutting about 1 foot up from the ground, the next year, this row will have produced between 2 and 4 new main stems.

The next year cut down row two. By the time you reach row four, row one is ready for cutting again and if you want more trees, cut off the growing shoots and replant.
vegalot
Lively Laner

Post by vegalot »

p.penn wrote:I feel I am losing a lot of house heat up the chimney when the fire isn't lit. :?

We used to stuff a bag of scrunched up newspaper in a bin bag up the chimney, which worked well enough, until we saw these http://www.chimneysheep.co.uk/ . Between the OH and myself, we made half a dozen of them, gave 3 away to friends and have used the same one for the past 2 years.

We hang a small wind chime off the handle, if they tinkle we know its not quite in right, plus they hang right in the middle if the grate, so we can't miss it when we light the fire.

Makes a lot of difference when the central heating is on. :-D
If a man is alone in the garden and speaks, and there is no woman to hear him, is he still wrong?
Rowlie
Learner Laner

Post by Rowlie »

We looked last year. Going to a top end wood burning showroom. The stove was around £1,000 and the fitting was around the same price.
The problem was we are end of terrace and scaffolding would be needed.
So the cheap alternative to our gas fire went out the window.
We looked at online which brought the stove down to a few £100.
But the money is in the fitting as if the are any problems with the chimney the cost out rocket.
Good luck Andrew.
norfolknets
Learner Laner

Post by norfolknets »

We had a woodburner installed at the beginning of the year.......the final price ,everything included, was £2300 {cry} But...we had an eight kilowatt burner installed and the fuel is for free )c(
Cheapest online supplier we found is www.g8fires.co.uk ,who will supply everything needed if you're a DIYer...........nope, I don't work for them but thier service is very good
fabindia
Legendary Laner

Post by fabindia »

We've just had our second stove installed. Mrs Fab just likes being very warm and so have always had open fire blazing up the chimney. Not had to have the central heating on this year yet so at least not lining the pockets of some fat cat boss of a power company.
Michael
Chicken drumstick
Longlasting Laner

Post by Chicken drumstick »

Thanks for the help laners )t'

Still looking into it , but by the looks of it , its out of my budget this year .

The stoves seem cheap enough but the fitting puts the project out of the picture .