karen's chicken diary

Start your own thread and let us follow you through the year
KarenE
Legendary Laner

Re: karen's chicken diary

Post by KarenE »

That's a good idea Sandy. Nugget does love sitting on my knee, so I usually cup her undercarriage with my hand and give her a gentle stroke, as she seems to like it and I hope the warmth of my hand helps a bit too.

She seems fine, definitely softies coming out now (another one all squished in the nest box the other day) so I'm thinking she's either packing it in for winter, or packing up for good - either of which is fine with me, as long as the silly girl doesn't start up again and get herself into trouble.

Also kept up her new grand tradition of pooing all down me today.. I have to carry a roll of loo paper with me now. If only she would learn to flush!

Hope your hols was good Sandy, and your girls were good while you were away. Off to read your diary now!
Karen
Alpha chick to: Smudge, Matisse and Bluebell
Chief servant to Marley the cat
Remembering Weeps, Rexie, Sage, Cassie, Toffee, Captain Gabby, Commander Nugget, Ronnie, Juno, Special Poetry and Reading Casper, Tigger, Tophenanall Rembrandt, Chestnut, Tiddly, Willow, Mango, Coco, Dorian Grey and Pokey.
Also my lost furries Charlie and Jasper

sandy
Legendary Laner

Post by sandy »

Do hope Nugget packs the egg laying in bless her. Trouble with my chicken sitters is they have not learnt the art of poo picking, just the beds would be nice! More poo than a dung beetle could cope with, trouble opening the trays and 3 softies one had green fur on it }hairout{ Hey ho probably why we have a nice bit of wine in the evening so mind dosent wander to home )hic(
The Pink Ladies..Audrey,Ingrid-Bergman,Madeleline,Norma-Jean,Dora,Janice,Jo,Robyn,Chrissy and Joyce
The Peds…Mork,Mindy,Bell,Saphire &
Vorky ,Blueped,Ginger,Ninger &Linky

Sunny Clucker was ere July 12-21 2012
Sunny Clucker was ere July 6 2016 to Sept 9th 2017
Sunny Clucker is here , rehomed Aug 18th 2018/
KarenE
Legendary Laner

Post by KarenE »

Worrying times.

Nugget is not well at all, the poor little love. I managed to get her on abs on Monday, so I am hoping that if it's treatable I got in early enough but me and hubby are also trying to prepare ourselves for the worst. She's still managing to potter around the garden with the others, slowly, and just wants to cuddle up and sit on knees all the time. If she's still with us at the weekend, she can sit as long as she wants on my knee.

Funny tonight though. Because it's been getting dark so fast, I changed the automatic door opener timer to 6.15 as they have been all tucked up in bed by about 6pm. Today, it was such a nice day that all the little tinkers decided to stay out as long as they could. I'm out as well, trying to entice Nugget to eat some cat food (scrambled eggs didn't work) - completely pointless, and the other 2 just scoffed it all, then all went off to bed. Then Nugget came marching out again and i thought 'ah, she's ditched the others and come out for cat food' so I gave her a bit in her dish but she just looked at me as if to say 'are you mad?'

Gabby and Toffee meanwhile are going mad in the run, trying to get through the wire to Nugget's cat food. So I opened the run door so Nugget could get back in, but out she marched again up to me as I was gathering some fallen tomatoes, and marched me back into their run. The pop hole had closed and locked the poor things out of the coop.

Nugget was well hacked off - she gave me a right bokking as she stalked into the coop and then carried on bokking as I had to hold the door open till the other 2 dafties decided to go in.

Honestly - where's the gratitude?

Keep your fingers crossed for her, but I am suspecting internal infection or most likely EYP.
Karen
Remembering Weeps, Rexie, Sage, Cassie, Toffee, Captain Gabby, Commander Nugget, Ronnie, Juno, Special Poetry and Reading Casper, Tigger, Tophenanall Rembrandt, Chestnut, Tiddly, Willow, Mango, Coco, Dorian Grey and Pokey.
Linda S
Legendary Laner

Post by Linda S »

Ilove reading your diary Karen i can just imagine your girls faces today, and Nuggett throwing a strop bless her :-D
I really hope she gets well Karen, our Faith has been very poorly and im dreading her finishing the abs tbh for in case it starts up again{hug} Lindaxx
And then there was one, Again!!!!
Jemima
xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
Little Angels Free For Ever
Honey,Lizzi,Peggy-Mitchel,April,Hope,Faith,Blondie, Sorrel,Scarlet, Penny, Gabby, Rosie, Chick-a-Dee
xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
Remembering Our Beautiful Foster Boys we are so sorry that we couldn't keep you
sandy
Legendary Laner

Post by sandy »

You know I have always thought of automatic doors as guillotines yike* Probably because I actually caused my Abbie to lose conciousness when I trapped her neck in the door! I do bet they were very miffed with you. Nugget, sweetheart you get well little girlie, we are all sending you lots and lots of >fi< from here
The Pink Ladies..Audrey,Ingrid-Bergman,Madeleline,Norma-Jean,Dora,Janice,Jo,Robyn,Chrissy and Joyce

KarenE
Legendary Laner

Post by KarenE »

Thanks Linda. I really hope she pulls through too but I think we'd better prepare. She's hardly eating, she's carrying a temperature and her poos are a little green and today are starting to smell the same as Weeps and Rexie's did when they died. I shall keep going with the abs though, I want to give her a fighting chance if she wants to take it.

I'll keep my fingers crossed for Faith. Nugget's about 3 and a half or so now, maybe even nearly four (same as Cass was) so I suppose they have had a good innings, in ex batt terms.
Karen
KarenE
Legendary Laner

Post by KarenE »

Thanks Sandy

I've never had any problems with our door. Hubby rigged it up so it leaves a slight gap at the bottom (so won't guillotine anyone) and it goes down so slowly anyway it'd have to be the world's daftest and slowest chicken to get caught in it. Rexie and Weeps used to shove the door up with their heads to get out even quicker. We did have a lot of problems with the door when they were both around, it's been remarkably trouble free since they both died!
Karen
aishakali
Legendary Laner

Post by aishakali »

So sorry Nugget's not well Karen. I have a fear of green poo. Lost 2girls with that as one of the symptoms {cry} Fingers crossed Nugget will put my fear to rest {hug}
LYN
KarenE
Legendary Laner

Post by KarenE »

Nugget thanks everyone for their good wishes.

She seems a bit brighter yesterday and today, so I'm hoping the abs are kicking in. She's still not well though, still slow, too much of a dirty bum and still very red in the face and comb so I daren't hope she'll be okay yet.

She's just polished off half a piece of old apple cake so it looks like she might be getting some appetite back - for certain kinds of food anyway! Nicked off with the whole lump so Gabby and Toffee couldn't get anything but her leftover crumbs.

The things we do for chickens eh? I will go outside and spend hours now sitting in puddles on the steps just so she can perch on my knee and have a snooze. I might have to share her abs when I catch pneumonia!
Karen
Linda S
Legendary Laner

Post by Linda S »

Aw Karen your a lovely chicken mum and so glad she is picking up {hug}
Another thing we have done while Faith has been poorly is provide some sugar water, it gives them a little boost and all the girls love it.
In fact the water container in the shed was sugar water all last winter, the girls were newly out of the cages with not many feathers and hubby wanted to give our girls all the helpand home comforts he could :-D Lindaxx
And then there was one, Again!!!!
Jemima
xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
Little Angels Free For Ever
Honey,Lizzi,Peggy-Mitchel,April,Hope,Faith,Blondie, Sorrel,Scarlet, Penny, Gabby, Rosie, Chick-a-Dee
Remembering Our Beautiful Foster Boys we are so sorry that we couldn't keep you
KarenE
Legendary Laner

Post by KarenE »

The Nugget thickens

Sorry - that should have been 'plot thickens'!

So I did as promised, sat on the soaking wet step with Gabby curled round one foot and Nugget sitting on my knee. I have a right wet bum now! Nugget had a teeny snooze, then a really thorough preen. During which, chicken dandruff everywhere and about 7 head and neck feathers, plus a few teeny ones from underneath too. So now I am wondering whether the little madam has started moulting again and that's why she's not well or laying.

Once my bum and legs had gone to sleep she lost her grip as I was wriggling round, landed on the floor, gave me a bit of a dirty look and shook herself. Another 4 teeny tiny feathers fluttered off. Then she found a patch of clover on the lawn and did the 'happy chicky I've found something good' noise. .ang. At which stage, I went off in a huff to warm and dry my bum.

Didn't manda post an 'order in which chickens moult' post somewhere?

Her poo is still a bit green and a little whiffy, but that could be the effects of abs on a chicken that maybe doesn't need them? Or maybe she is sick still. I'll continue with the dose anyway, I'm not taking chances with the little madam - Rex, Weeps and Cassie all died because I thought they were moulting and they did seem to be, but maybe it weakens their systems.

Gabby and Toffee remain in tip top health. They are both into everything - that's the thing with ex batts, they waste absolutely no time at all, every second of every day is crammed with excitement and adventure.

Linda - did you find that sugar water over winter helped with the freezing at all? Just wondering by some miracle - it's a good idea though to make sure they have an extra boost. Your husband is devoted to his girls isn't he? +f+
Karen
Chookaholic
Longlasting Laner

Post by Chookaholic »

I just love reading these diaries.

So sorry to read youre little lady isnt well..I hope she is back to her clucky self asap . We worry so much about them dont we?

Please keep us informed! {hug}
sandy
Legendary Laner

Post by sandy »

Karen Manda did do a moulting thing(not literally) her hens. Have to say Olive is not moulting the same as Abbie or Iris did and now Deirdre is dropping feathers too! I know what you mean when your legs get uncomfortable and then when you dare move position the lap sitter gets so annoyed. COME ON NUGGET keep improving, your mummy really should not get a wet posterior. Do give her her abs until they are all finished and of course if she will eat it give her whatever at the moment, she will need to gain weight to help her gain strength

KarenE
Legendary Laner

Post by KarenE »

Hey everyone

Well, Nugget is fine and dandy. She's much better now, a nice clean tidy bum (unlike Gabby who is the worst mucky madam ever) and pottering around the garden like her old self with her 2 best mates in tow (especially her new twin Gabby who LOVES Nugget to bits) {hug&kiss}

Plus the little monster is definitely moulting AGAIN, a few bald patches on her head and little piles of feathers everywhere. Plus big preens at every opportunity, mainly on my knee. She hasn't stopped since July really, the poor little thing.

I do think she had something though as there was definitely green poos and that horrible smell which was the thing that really had me worried to be honest, as Rexie and Weeps had that diarrhea and smell before they died. Of course now I'm sorry that I didn't manage to dose up Rexie or Weeps - who knows, they might've been here still.

I've been away the past few days so hubby was left strict instructions to keep an eye on her, and to keep her company in the garden and give me daily and nightly bulletins - at one stage, during a daytime home invasion, all I could hear was "Out! Out - OUT!!!" You know they're feeling better when they ninja in to nick the cat's dinner.

Does anyone else have preen time in the afternoons? I've been going out to sit in my greenhouse for half an hour or so whenever I can get away, usually about 3pm ish. Nugget likes to settle on my knee for her big preen. Gabby usually comes and joins her at my feet, and then Toffee will wander in and the 3 of them will preen away for ages. Funny little things aren't they?
Karen
aishakali
Legendary Laner

Post by aishakali »

So glad Nugget is feeling better :-D What a relief {hug}
LYN