Chicken Drumsticks Diary ..

Start your own thread and let us follow you through the year
Chicken drumstick
Longlasting Laner

Chicken Drumsticks Diary ..

Post by Chicken drumstick »

Hi all

I thought i would document my Ex bats and the Warrens on here on the journey .

Had them about 3/4 weeks iirc (the ex bats) , and the two younger Point-of-Lay warrens / Novo Browns .

I bought 4 ex bats to start with but one died after a week .

Here is a few pics of the ex bats and my Noddy run i knocked up in a panic as the ex bats were a bit of a rush buy while i had time to collect them .

I got them from "Happy Chicks" about an hour away from me at a fiver each , i think i am right in saying they get them in before any orders and work with local chicken farmers to rescue what they hope they can move on .

Link here ....

http://www.happychicks.co.uk/mall/infop ... atteryHens" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Image[/img]

The one in this picture with knackered tail was the one that didnt make it , very sad it went down hill and died in the night ..

Converted shed as the Hen House ...

In this picture you can see the two Point-of-Lay warrens / nova browns i bought locally fully vaccinated and a bargain at £7.40 each . The ex bat that has a bald neck which is eating is Head Hen top of the pecking order

View of the run , its all wrong and i could not get into the shed properly it was cack Image

Chicken drumstick
Longlasting Laner

Re: Chicken Drumsticks 2013 Diary ..

The New Hen house is internal 6 x 4 feet , which was the space allocated for a Quarantine tank for my other hobby koi / sturgeon which i have knocked down , the New run is attached onto the side of this shed .

The Hen house is sectioned off from the other half of the shed which is my filter room for the pond ..

Sorry about the poor pic , i used 2"x2" and screwed to a 3x1.5 " batton over the railway sleeper , the other side near the fence is just 2"x2" all tanalised timber and slightly raised so it wont rot for many years .

Pics of the roof from wickes , the wire at the back and far end is pvc coated chain link fencing and a foot goes in the ground , got this for nothing off a job at work i got paid to take it way years ago and had it hanging about so a good result !

All in the New run , the ex bats had a muddy dust bath ..lol.. as the soil was soft they loved it .

Full view with roof and i put some side draught boards on there at Chicken height hopefully to keep cold winter winds off them ?

Some shots of the Hens , the first pic is the young Warren / Nova brown Point-of-Lay ..

This is a pic through the pop hole , far right is the light coloured Point-of-Lay warren , the one close up is the other , the other three are the ex bats ..

More pics of the close up Point-of-Lay warren , She is very nosy and dare i say inteligent ?

She is more on the ball with food etc but way down in the pecking order last by the looks of it ..

This is a pic of the roosting bars which has made all my efforts worthwhile ....the ex bats would not roost there legs must have been to weak but all five have roosted on them in the night , i,ve spied on them ..lol..

Hope you Laners enjoy the pics , i will take more as things progress , i have a few ideas on diy roosting bars and feeding stations in the run i will update with pics )t'
Linda S
Legendary Laner

Post by Linda S »

Great start CD these diaries are great cause we can waffle on to our hearts content, well i do anyway :-D Lindaxx
And then there was one, Again!!!!
Jemima
xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
Little Angels Free For Ever
Honey,Lizzi,Peggy-Mitchel,April,Hope,Faith,Blondie, Sorrel,Scarlet, Penny, Gabby, Rosie, Chick-a-Dee
xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
Remembering Our Beautiful Foster Boys we are so sorry that we couldn't keep you
lancashire lass
Legendary Laner

Post by lancashire lass »

It's an amazing set up CD )t' and I'm taking a few pointers +f+ as I "may" be getting some more hens next year .... we'll see.

Interesting what you said about the Point-of-Lay warren being bottom hen but being on the ball with food - mine is the same, always the first to try out new things while the top hen and 2nd in command bully hang back with suspicion LOL

Good luck with the chickens )t'
Chookaholic
Longlasting Laner

Post by Chookaholic »

Yey Drummy you started your diary!

Arent you clever knocking that run up so quickly? wish you were my neighbour I would ply you with tea and cake to help me Mr Chookaholic is terrible at DIY ! {rofwl}

My Leghorns and Speckledies are from Happy Chicks as well.... I have heard good things from them )t'

Cant wait for your next pics your girls look great

Lisa
sandy
Legendary Laner

Post by sandy »

Love your set up, lovely photos )t' So sorry you lost a girl, at least she had a bit of real chicken life. Is that a fen shu sign on your shed?
The Pink Ladies..Audrey,Ingrid-Bergman,Madeleline,Norma-Jean,Dora,Janice,Jo,Robyn,Chrissy and Joyce
The Peds…Mork,Mindy,Bell,Saphire &
Vorky ,Blueped,Ginger,Ninger &Linky

Sunny Clucker was ere July 12-21 2012
Sunny Clucker was ere July 6 2016 to Sept 9th 2017
Sunny Clucker is here , rehomed Aug 18th 2018/
Chicken drumstick
Longlasting Laner

Thanks for the replies )t'

Will update as i go along :-D

The signs on the Shed are from my koi keeping , i bought them from a koi show iirc one is the symbol for peace one for love , just got them to match the dragon in the other pics )t'
Chicken drumstick
Longlasting Laner

Here are a few pictures "pre Chicken" , the Garden will get put back into shape , the hedge on the left had to go to to fit the run it ..

Chicken drumstick
Longlasting Laner

I have been a poultry keeper before by accident !

These pictures are from 2007 during the Easter Holidays .

On my old 700 gallon pond 2 mallards turned when a local pit was getting de silted and they took residence on the small pond i used to have .

It was a magical time as my kids were still young and when we spotted eggs under a shrub i told them they would not hatch (to save disapointment) only to be proved wrong by two excited lads when Ducklings appeared on the pond .

Here are some pictures of them before they eventually left ,we fed them on cheerios , sweet corn , cucumber and Orchard Fisheries koi premium pellets they grew really fast no doubt the koi pellets gave them all the goodness .

Would always hand feed but the mother was always watching over them ..

As they grew they were in competition with the fish for food and the mother would try to peck the fish if they ate the food which was for the fish !

The water lilys seen got eaten .

Once fed back to the pond they went ..

Kuikentje
Longlasting Laner

Post by Kuikentje »

What a lovely story!

I wonder if the ex-ducklings, once they became ducks, would hassle passers-by and fishermen for food?
Life's too short to quarrel
jackian
Legendary Laner

Post by jackian »

It is such an adventure isn't it? You have done well. )t' and I am sure you won't regret it .
You will find such a difference now you have a roof on .The best improvement we have done.

Jackie x
4 lovely girls~~ Clover, the oldie and top chick Bonnie second in command .new girls Bluebell and Blossom.
2 lovely new girls 19-01-2015~~ Chelsea and Ruby.
Eva , Florry , Poppy ,Annie and Rosie R.I.P
The key to everything is patience. You get the chicken by hatching the egg, not by smashing it.” - unknown
Chookaholic
Longlasting Laner

Post by Chookaholic »

Awww {hug}

I love the pic of you hand feeding them and the little ducklings all in a line with Mums pair of feet behind keeping watch. You have a lovely garden I hope you wont be upset at the bashing it is going to take ! >dum<

Keep the pics coming Drummy theyre fab youre doing a grand job

Lisa
Chicken drumstick
Longlasting Laner

Thanks all :-D

Will post up some pics when i,ve put the perches logs etc in the run )t'
Linda S
Legendary Laner

Post by Linda S »

Smashing photos CD and its great watching your run evolve :-D

Everybody on here has built a run and realised its not big enough or whatever but i think yours might just be the quickest upgrade in dtl history, im sure someone will correct me if im wrong :-D

How many days was it before the second stage started {rofwl} {rofwl} Lindaxx
And then there was one, Again!!!!
Jemima
xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
Little Angels Free For Ever
Honey,Lizzi,Peggy-Mitchel,April,Hope,Faith,Blondie, Sorrel,Scarlet, Penny, Gabby, Rosie, Chick-a-Dee
Remembering Our Beautiful Foster Boys we are so sorry that we couldn't keep you
Chicken drumstick
Longlasting Laner

It was only about 10 days before the upgrade ..lol..

I got some of the Galley pots delivered to day from Happy Chicks to hang around the coop so i can add some treats and hopefully it will keep them entertained checking them out :-D