Henpen's hens and Eggstremely odd eggs

Start your own thread and let us follow you through the year
HenPen
Longlasting Laner

Re: Henpen's hens and Eggstremely odd eggs

Post by HenPen »

Aw thank you Chookaholic {hug}

Yes it does sound as if Amber is like Mildred.
Although I feel sorry for Cupid, I think she is sparky enough to cope and she has been known to lose her rag. A few weeks ago I was cleaning the drinker and suddenly all hell was breaking loose. I turned round to see Cupid with a mouthful of Miranda's neck feathers, sort of hanging off her. It was at the end of Miranda's last broody patch and Amber was being particularly awful - I wonder if Cupid was saying: "Aaaaargh! Snap out of it, Miranda, and start ruling the roost again. I just can't take any more!" (Cor, Miranda was on the warpath for a few days after that!)

The bamboo might be a good idea, thanks. Blooming rabbits are driving me crackers. As I kneel on the soaking grass, back aching, trying to fix the netting without making it look too dreadful (I am definitely failing), the solutions I am coming up with are a little more violent! But who knows, maybe all the bunnies will keep Mr Fox's mind off the nice plump, horribly spoilt chooks >fi<

sandy
Legendary Laner

Post by sandy »

Wiggy is a 'quiet' genius, that's why she is my fav )t'
The Pink Ladies..Audrey,Ingrid-Bergman,Madeleline,Norma-Jean,Dora,Janice,Jo,Robyn,Chrissy and Joyce
The Peds…Mork,Mindy,Bell,Saphire &
Vorky ,Blueped,Ginger,Ninger &Linky

Sunny Clucker was ere July 12-21 2012
Sunny Clucker was ere July 6 2016 to Sept 9th 2017
Sunny Clucker is here , rehomed Aug 18th 2018/
HenPen
Longlasting Laner

Post by HenPen »

Thank you Sandy. Wiggy is thrilled with that description and feels it is totally accurate.

It's OK, Wiggy Wiggleton, I won't tell her that when we first got you, you would be so excited to see me coming to let you out in the morning, you would run squawking and flapping, top speed down the full length of the run and crash into the end. Or that you will sit on the floor of the run, in front of the nice 'indoor' dust bath and try to dust bathe in the wood chips instead...

{rofwl}
HenPen
Longlasting Laner

Post by HenPen »

I don't know if it has been windy where you are, but it is pretty breezy here this week and Wiggy is finding it most disconcerting to be out and about with the wind blowing up her huge fluffy knickers.
So about once every two minutes, she throws a complete wobbly and runs around in circles, all puffed up and squawking with her wings held away from her body, slightly off kilter. Then she stops and looks at you as if to say, "What?! Why are you laughing? You're really odd!"

The bed time thing isn't completely cracked - almost but it is intermittent. It is still usually Cupid who gets shut out. The other night she was very chilly and sad, and very dozy when my daughter went and saved her from a cold night on the coop roof. But she was very grateful... so she tipped my daughter!! She sat in the doorway and picked up some wood chips and gently deposited them on my daughter's lap - "There you go my good woman, here's a little something for you!"

Yesterday there were all three of the usual suspects on the roof (Cupid, Miranda and Amber) and when they saw me they kicked up a heck of a racket. They usually require popping in one by one but while I was attempting to get Cupid in, Miranda clattered down from the roof in that graceful way chickens have (sack of spuds) and practically rear-ended Cupid as she stood in the doorway trying to decide where to sleep!

After the shock of being shut out in the cold and damp, they put themselves to bed properly tonight. Long may it last >fi< >fi<
KarenE
Legendary Laner

Post by KarenE »

What a charming lady Cupid is! She's just guaranteeing tip-top service for next time your daughter has to help her into bed.

That is hilarious - tipping your daughter. I hope it was 15% {rofwl}
Karen
Alpha chick to: Smudge, Matisse and Bluebell
Chief servant to Marley the cat
Remembering Weeps, Rexie, Sage, Cassie, Toffee, Captain Gabby, Commander Nugget, Ronnie, Juno, Special Poetry and Reading Casper, Tigger, Tophenanall Rembrandt, Chestnut, Tiddly, Willow, Mango, Coco, Dorian Grey and Pokey.
Also my lost furries Charlie and Jasper
Linda S
Legendary Laner

Post by Linda S »

I love the photo of gorgeous Wiggy she looks a real character and looks like she has her sunday best hat on :-D

Thats a lovely story about your daughter and Cupid, is there ant wonder why we love these special beautiful girls as much as we do {hug} Lindaxx
And then there was one, Again!!!!
Jemima
xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
Little Angels Free For Ever
Honey,Lizzi,Peggy-Mitchel,April,Hope,Faith,Blondie, Sorrel,Scarlet, Penny, Gabby, Rosie, Chick-a-Dee
xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
Remembering Our Beautiful Foster Boys we are so sorry that we couldn't keep you
sandy
Legendary Laner

Post by sandy »

What a polite young lady is Cupid(still love Wiggy best) but don't let on {rofwl}
The Pink Ladies..Audrey,Ingrid-Bergman,Madeleline,Norma-Jean,Dora,Janice,Jo,Robyn,Chrissy and Joyce

HenPen
Longlasting Laner

Post by HenPen »

Poor Cupid. With the early dusk, we have been outside watching a few times recently (torch in pocket) and )de: Amber )de: has been laying in wait just inside the coop doorway to peck Cupid when she tries to get in at night. Rotten thing. No wonder Cupid stays out late and so often misses the door closing.

Odd thing though: on separate occasions, while helping Cupid get to bed, both my daughter and I have seen Miranda (big boss hen) and Ginger (number 2) shuffle about in the coop to come in between Cupid and Amber, in what seems to be an active move to stop Amber's bad behaviour and allow Cupid to roost. Rather impressive I thought.

(Ginger hasn't had much of a mention really which is totally unfair. She is a perfect hen: well-balanced, extremely beautiful, excellent eggies, bright, curious - but apart from always getting food round her mouth, which makes us chuckle, she just isn't as funny and eccentric as Wiggy, as cuddly as Cupid, as broody as Miranda or as blummin' naughty as scary Jurassic Park Amber)

Honestly Amber. I despair, you dreadful bully girl {warn} {warn} {warn}
I'm going to pop some anti-peck on Cupid's Amber-induced bald patch tomorrow. That'll give Amber something to think about.
Linda S
Legendary Laner

Post by Linda S »

Or to aim at if its coloured yike*

Miranda and Ginger are very thoughtful girls protecting poor Cupid from the unwanted attention of their naughty sister {hug}

We found when Faith was ill that Sasha was always with her, she would make gentle noises and sometimes even tidy her up a little, we think they really do care about each other, well some do.
The thing that impressed us that Sasha is bottom hen, and Faith was sometimes downright evil to her but all that was forgotten by Florence Sasha. {hug}
We think shes so gorgeous and kind and like your lovely Ginger the perfect girlie to share a coop with :-D Lindaxx
And then there was one, Again!!!!
Jemima
xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
Little Angels Free For Ever
Honey,Lizzi,Peggy-Mitchel,April,Hope,Faith,Blondie, Sorrel,Scarlet, Penny, Gabby, Rosie, Chick-a-Dee
Remembering Our Beautiful Foster Boys we are so sorry that we couldn't keep you
sandy
Legendary Laner

Post by sandy »

I expect you have, but have you tried putting gentian violet on Cupid's bald patch? So if Amber does go for it there will be antiseptic on there? Poor Ginger, a perfect well behaved girl, really wants a girl to do to get some media coverage?

HenPen
Longlasting Laner

Post by HenPen »

I hadn't thought of that, Sandy, as she hasn't drawn blood. Thanks for the idea. I might get some tomorrow.

In the meantime we used uncoloured anti-peck today and, for the first time in a week, Cupid had put herself to bed when we got out, instead if waiting on the coop roof. Wonder if Amber got a nasty, bitter beakful this evening? Hope so. Whole new meaning to "spitting feathers"!!

Linda, Sasha sounds just wonderful .ang.
sandy
Legendary Laner

Post by sandy »

Spitting feathers {rofwl} genius

HenPen
Longlasting Laner

Post by HenPen »

:oops: Feeling duped. :oops:
Just seen tiny Cupid actually leap up onto Wiggy's back to have a right peck at her. I shouted at Cupid so Amber had a much deserved go at Cupid.
They're an odd couple. I should just let them get on with it.

I do love my gentle, slightly dazed Wiggy Woo. Totally blameless, at least I can count on her to be a good girl.
sandy
Legendary Laner

Post by sandy »

Cupid you naughty naughty girl {warn} Leave Wiggy alone

HenPen
Longlasting Laner

Post by HenPen »

Wiggy decided that she wasn't going to lay for three weeks or so, but is now back laying every other day. And she is moulting a bit, but it isn't a proper moult, I reckon, and she is a big girl so it isn't exactly showing - she just looks frayed around the edges.

In fact everyone is laying brilliantly so I'll be making quiche tomorrow!

Miranda seems to be becoming increasingly stand-offish and hysterical. And not hysterical in an endearing Wiggy Woo way either. She won't go through the run door if I am anywhere near it, eyes everything except meal worms with suspicion and is generally a bit neurotic and no fun at all. Still, she's very regal - and those dark brown eggs every day are a winner!

Today a lovely local tree surgeon provided me with a load of wood chips in return for a dozen eggs (I let him have a blue one!) but the chips were cedar wood which is apparently toxic and gives off nasty stuff and should never be used for chooks. Lucky I checked before putting it in the run. Well, that's bit awkward. I think I shall keep quiet about not using it and specifically ask for hardwood woodchip next time, since he very kindly said "anytime". Ah well, the best laid plans and all that!