Sausage maker? or attachment?

Recipes, Cooking tips and maybe some 'Home Made' secrets !
HedgeHugger
Legendary Laner

Sausage maker? or attachment?

Post by HedgeHugger »

Amaz*n have very kindly decided to offer a toaster and kettle, free, if you buy a Kenwo*od Km|x. I've wanted one for a year or 2 but couldn't justify the cost, until now.
As it was my B'day recently, this is what I decided to get :) (mostly bought with vouchers so mostly frugal too :) ).

Now the thing is do I buy a sausage making attachment for it (around £50!) or get a sossy maker?, which would be around the same price.

I know lots of you make your own bangers so thought I'd find out what you lot use and work out what's best for me.
albertajune
Legendary Laner

Re: Sausage maker? or attachment?

Post by albertajune »

I have an old mixer of your make and find that using the sausage attachment makes really good sausages. Easy to use, clean, and store.
I am now a widow and live with my memories.
Mercedes
Legendary Laner

Post by Mercedes »

I bought the K-mix a couple of weeks ago, dithered for ages over whether to get that or to buy the divine apple green Kitchenaid, but I couldn't justify the price of the latter.

I didn't even know you could get an attachment to make sausages, sounds a plan though )t'
Lyn

Post by manda »

Well I can categorically say that the sausage maker on my very old Kenwood chef was fantastic (until the Kenwood died a couple of weeks ago!!) so if the KMix is anything to go by then it should be good.
Depends how many sausages you're going to make and how often I suppose.

I'm in the position where I have (well had) an old Kenwood Chef and a new KitchenAid (but the big version) - I would say lucky but I don't think so ...the Kenwood for all it's years until as I said a couple of weeks ago had something go wrong (and I haven't sent it in the find out what yet) had never let me down and did a fab job.....I can't say the same for the KitcheAid unfortunately....I bought the professional stand mixer because we do use it a lot ....the sausage maker on those is not as good as the Kenwood (in my opinion) and after going through 3 gears in the first year I don't know if I was just unlucky or they're really not that good.....
I full yintend to get rid of it and all my other mixers...and use the money to get a Kenwood Titanium or the equivalent.....I don't think I'd recommend KitchenAid to anyone if I'm honest.
That being said I don't know which model you have Mercedes...the Artisan's are popular and seem to do the job....as I said maybe I just got unlucky.
¸.•´¸.•*´¨) ¸.•*¨)✰
(¸.✰´¨(¸.✰ Manda

Living our version of the Good Life with 4 dogs, 6 cats, a cow, a few sheep, Angora Goats and ???? chooks.
Don't get your knickers in a knot..it solves nothing ~ just makes you walk funny
Mercedes
Legendary Laner

Post by Mercedes »

I've got the K-mix Manda as I couldn't justify the cost of the Kitchenaid, it was the Artisan one I was after, like the ones they use in the GBBO. I just have a thing about that lovely shade of apple green and it just looked so pretty and retro. Honestly I was going into Lakeland and stroking the one they had on display there, which is pretty sad! However I decided to use some common sense as the K-mix has a more powerful motor and also has that shield so when you are adding flour or icing sugar it doesn't go all over the place and I thought that was a good idea. I bought the black/silver one as it goes with the rest of my worktop appliances and I'm very happy with it. Have made lots of cakes and also some bread too.

I've never even made sausages and wouldn't know where to start :oops:
Lyn
Legendary Laner

Post by Stef »

I saved up and bought the KWood Titanium, our choice of extra included the mincer and sausage maker - I cannot recommend them enough.

Manda, it is a joy to use. We both use it 3 or 4 times weekly, most of the attachments get used. But don't do what we did and NOT read the manual I had been hand cleaning some bits until he, who is now feeling smug, realised that the blade housing of ALL the attachments twist off so judicious use of dishwasher on plastic and glass parts is now possible!

Having revealed that I am now certain you will all laugh like drains - having known this forever :oops:
1 dumbo rat still without a name; 2 top eared rats Octavia and Ursula
1 Rhode Rock, 1 Sussex Star, 1 Blue Ranger - The New Monochrome Set

My crafty blog, it's Frugal too http://relovedremnants.blogspot.co.uk/
manda

Post by manda »

It's good to hear that Stef.......and makes me wish I had listened to my gut in the first place :? ....Ahh well I will make the change ...need to get on and sort it.
¸.•´¸.•*´¨) ¸.•*¨)✰
(¸.✰´¨(¸.✰ Manda

Living our version of the Good Life with 4 dogs, 6 cats, a cow, a few sheep, Angora Goats and ???? chooks.
Don't get your knickers in a knot..it solves nothing ~ just makes you walk funny
HedgeHugger
Legendary Laner

Post by HedgeHugger »

I've decided, with help from from you kenwo0d owners, to go with the attachment :)
Just waiting, still, for my Km!x to be delivered. According to the tracking, delivery was attempted yesterday. I was in all day waiting!

I too wanted (wistfully) a KitchenAid, based purely on the colour. Boysenberry. That wonderful purple colour would have blended in with my kitchen perfectly.
HedgeHugger
Legendary Laner

Post by HedgeHugger »

Just a quick update.. apparently my mixer was delivered at 18.59 and signed for by a blind person!
It hasn't been delivered to me though :(
Mercedes
Legendary Laner

Post by Mercedes »

HedgeHugger wrote:Just a quick update.. apparently my mixer was delivered at 18.59 and signed for by a blind person!
It hasn't been delivered to me though :(

I do hope you get it, how on earth can they make such a mistake :?
Lyn
Legendary Laner

Post by HedgeHugger »

No idea.
According to the online tracking it's out for delivery again today.
We think it was probably marked as delivered to make their service look efficient.
Hopefully it turns up soon, as I can't spend a 3rd day indoors waiting, things to do, hospital appt' etc. AArGGHH!

I was dreaming of sausage making last night, must be on my mind, hehe.
Mercedes
Legendary Laner

Post by Mercedes »

I've had that happen to me where I've tracked a package and it claims to have been delivered but it hasn't been, then it's turned up a few hours later. I do hope it turns up soon, it's awful waiting in for things :?
Lyn
Legendary Laner

Post by HedgeHugger »

It arrived )c(

about 20 minutes before I had to leave :)

Will have to put it through it's paces over the next week or 2.
Crikey, it's heavy though!
manda

Post by manda »

)c( )c(
¸.•´¸.•*´¨) ¸.•*¨)✰
(¸.✰´¨(¸.✰ Manda

Mercedes
Legendary Laner

Post by Mercedes »

Phew that's good to hear it turned up )t'
Lyn