Milk...

Recipes, Cooking tips and maybe some 'Home Made' secrets !
manda

Milk...

Post by manda »

Some know (some may not know) we get our milk straight from the farm...initially it was so I could make cheese but within a very short space of time we started using it as our household milk supply.
Doing the healthy eating thing though we started thinking about the cream content of the milk because obviously it hasn't had any removed.

So we borrowed a friends milk separator .....

After a quarter of an hour we'd processed 10 litres of milk and had 21/2 litres of cream...which was turned into butter and about a litre and a half of butter milk.

You can regulate how much cream you remove so we've made it like semi skimmed ....doesn't take long and even though we're still eating it in the long run we're getting more product from it . )c(
So we pay less for your milk than we do in the shops, get our butter and have butter milk as well )c( )c(

Think we might need to invest in one :-D
¸.•´¸.•*´¨) ¸.•*¨)✰
(¸.✰´¨(¸.✰ Manda

Living our version of the Good Life with 4 dogs, 6 cats, a cow, a few sheep, Angora Goats and ???? chooks.
Don't get your knickers in a knot..it solves nothing ~ just makes you walk funny
mrs boodles
Legendary Laner

Re: Milk...

Post by mrs boodles »

Gosh Manda that bought some memories back reading your post and seeing your pictures. When I lived on Dartmoor we had a house cow and we hand milked her. Milk was then brought in and what we wanted was strained through muslin and just used. During the winter, excess milk went back to feed the calves that we reared and during summer we used a separator (the make lister comes to mind) and made clotted cream for the table with the excess. Believe it or not but in those days I did not like clotted cream, different story now and the unpastuerised milk never caused me any problems tummy wise etc. Those were the days.

I have made butter last year with double cream from shop and using food processor, not much for your money but tastes pretty good.
saint-spoon

Post by saint-spoon »

makes sense. I bet that the butter is delish xx
Bah Humbug
manda

Post by manda »

mrs boodles wrote:..... made clotted cream for the table with the excess. Believe it or not but in those days I did not like clotted cream, different story now and the unpastuerised milk never caused me any problems tummy wise etc. Those were the days.

I have made butter last year with double cream from shop and using food processor, not much for your money but tastes pretty good.

We only drink raw milk now....although if I get more than 10 litres I tend to pasteurrise is then because it keeps longer......I've made butter for a while just using the cream that's settled but this makes it much easier so we will invest in a separator.

I made clotted cream a while back but it was either at the beginning or the end of the milking season and the cream content was lower so I'll do it again with this (when I've built up my butter supply)...I like I can decide how much I want unsalted / salted ..and then how salty I want the salted to be.
¸.•´¸.•*´¨) ¸.•*¨)✰
(¸.✰´¨(¸.✰ Manda

Living our version of the Good Life with 4 dogs, 6 cats, a cow, a few sheep, Angora Goats and ???? chooks.
Don't get your knickers in a knot..it solves nothing ~ just makes you walk funny
Linda S
Legendary Laner

Post by Linda S »

I bought some crumpets today or pikelets as we call them and when I have them now Manda i think i might just imagine spreading your lovely sounding salted butter on them :-D

I bet it beats my butterly utterly or proper shop bought butter hands down for scrumptiousness )t' Lindaxx
And then there was one, Again!!!!
Jemima
xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
Little Angels Free For Ever
Honey,Lizzi,Peggy-Mitchel,April,Hope,Faith,Blondie, Sorrel,Scarlet, Penny, Gabby, Rosie, Chick-a-Dee
xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
Remembering Our Beautiful Foster Boys we are so sorry that we couldn't keep you
xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx