Log store

Share projects, share problems, share tips amongst each other.
davina112
Legendary Laner

Log store

Post by davina112 »

Hubby and I are looking to make or buy a log store, any suggestions on how best to construct or where to buy ?
[center][/center]Davina
Totally Scrambled
Site Admin

Re: Log store

Post by Totally Scrambled »

Is it just for storing seasoned logs that are ready for burning or is it for storing logs while they season?
Dom
Ali Woks My World
davina112
Legendary Laner

Post by davina112 »

It's for storing seasoned logs that are ready to burn )t'
[center][/center]Davina
Totally Scrambled
Site Admin

Post by Totally Scrambled »

If the logs are ready to burn then you want one that will protect it from the wet so I would go for one without air gaps between the slats of wood, with doors or a generous overhang if i has an open front with guttering to take away any rain. The floor should be raised from the ground to stop damp coming up.
Unless you have enough timber lying around to build your own it is probably cheaper to buy one. There are loads on the interweb.
If those for sale will not fit where you need it to go or your other half fancies a project then custom making one isn't that difficult as it's basically a scaled down shed.
If you go for an open fronted one then the open side should not face the prevailing weather or the rain will blow in and make the logs wet.
Hope that's a bit of help.
Dom
Ali Woks My World
chookmike
Longlasting Laner

Post by chookmike »

If you have a large, dry run for the hens, could you put them in there to attract lots of insects for the girls and give them something to perch on?

Oh, and poo on too I suppose >dum<

Mike