Nettle and Comfrey fertiliser

Flowers, Trees, Lawns, Infrastructures, Maintenance & anything else!
Tink
Longlasting Laner

Nettle and Comfrey fertiliser

Post by Tink »

Wondered if anyone else makes free fertiliser.
I have done it for years but not sure if there is anything I should not use it on.
I have watered the whole garden tonight with it, I do however warn my neighbours
first as it is a bit pongy. This usually goes within 24 hours or less. >veg<
vegalot
Lively Laner

Re: Nettle and Comfrey fertiliser

Post by vegalot »

I make 4 different teas now, comfrey, nettle, seaweed and dandelion. Comfrey for flowering, nettle for nitrogen and the other two everywhere.

If you want to remove the smell from comfrey tea, >stir< use a fish tank air pump and stone, I have a 12v one attached to solar panels.
If a man is alone in the garden and speaks, and there is no woman to hear him, is he still wrong?
Scrambled
Lively Laner

Post by Scrambled »

Hi Tink )wav(

My husband is having a go at making some nettle fertiliser and he's very proud of this stinking bucket of foulness behind the garage >dowhat<

It's been stewing there for about a fortnight now....any advice on how long it needs to sit there before we use it? Also - should we use it neat or dilute it first? Thanks!
davina112
Legendary Laner

Post by davina112 »

Hi, I m also making nettle fertilizer. Monty Don gave instructions on how to make it a few weeks go, saying he old tell us how to use it after 4 weeks. I will be watching gardeners world this Friday to see if it is on, if so I will post the results )t'
[center][/center]Davina
HappyBob
Legendary Laner

Post by HappyBob »

I have been making/using Comfrey extract for a lot of years, mixed between 10-20% with water makes an excellent feed.
Dont ever grow up, its a trap
Tink
Longlasting Laner

Post by Tink »

About a month sounds about right for a good stew. I then sift out the solid pieces and put them in the compost bin. I cover and use over next month or so. I use a jam jar full to a watering can. I wear wellies/ gloves as it can leave a smell on your clothes. I used at 7pm the other night and odour gone by next morning.
Good luck with your >stir< but your >veg5< >veg4< >veg1< >veg3< will love it!
Scrambled
Lively Laner

Post by Scrambled »

I think I'll leave the >stir< to my husband {rofwl}
CecilAllison
Learner Laner

Post by CecilAllison »

vegalot wrote:I make 4 different teas now, comfrey, nettle, seaweed and dandelion. Comfrey for flowering, nettle for nitrogen and the other two everywhere.

If you want to remove the smell from comfrey tea, >stir< use a fish tank air pump and stone, I have a 12v one attached to solar panels.

Thanks for sharing such a useful information.. Even I want to remove the smell for comfrey tea and I would love to apply similar technique