Easy Soup Recipes

Recipes, Cooking tips and maybe some 'Home Made' secrets !
Mercedes
Legendary Laner

Easy Soup Recipes

Post by Mercedes »

Since getting my lovely food mixer I've moved on from cakes and bread to having a go at making soup. Just by chance I mentioned to a friend how we are loving our home made bread and she suggested I make homemade soup to go with it. I'd never even thought of making soup before as it's so easy to just open a can {rofwl}

However I got a really easy recipe for courgette soup, so I went out and bought a smaller food processor than the huge old thing that is lurking in one of my kitchen cupboards and is so ugly I wouldn't want to leave it out on the worktop. Got myself a nice Kenwood processor with a blender and the soup was delicious.

Someone else gave me a recipe for an easy carrot and leek soup and I made that yesterday and it's very nice, but I could do with some more easy recipes. I don't want to be faffing around for ages with lots of different ingredients as it does my head in.

I've been looking online but a lot of the recipes, although fairly easy, seem to need quite a variety of ingredients and I wondered if anyone has any easy recipes or knows of any books that are full of easy peasy ones for lazy cooks like me :oops:
Lyn
Legendary Laner

Re: Easy Soup Recipes

Post by jemberelli »

viewtopic.php?f=19&t=42064&hilit=Soup

There might be some yummy ones in this thread.
No girls at the moment but look forward to getting more in the future. Proud mummy to Hector, a Bedlington Terrier x Jack Russell
bluebell
Legendary Laner

Post by bluebell »

I make a lot of soups but one of the easiest ones I know is green pea soup.

I dice a large onion, little oil in a pan, low heat, saute onion till cooked, peel a couple of large potatoes, cut into chunks add to pan, then :oops: use a bag of frozen peas add those, add about a pint or so of vegetable stock (can you tell I hate measuring things?!) and simmer until potatoes and peas soft, blitz it all in your lovely food processor. I know this will sound a bit like marmite (love it or hate it), but while this all going on I grill fish fingers and cut them into squares and when soup is served up, use as croutons on top of soup. I do add salt and pepper whilst cooking the soup through, add as you wish. Really nice on a winters evening. Sure it would be nice with some ham pieces in it.
http://www.freshstartforhens.co.uk" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
Helping to give ex-battery hens a fresh start!

http://thevintagebelles.blogspot.co.uk/
Mad Chick

Post by Mad Chick »

Oooh, I love pea soup. I add some mint a cumin to mine and then a swirl of sour cream on top )t'

One of my current favourites (which I have just had for my lunch) is roasted butternut squash soup.

I peel and chop a butternut into large chunks, place on an oven tray with a few cloves of garlic and an onion cut into quarters. Drizzle with olive oil and roast in a hot oven for about 40mins until beginning to brown. Then I liquidize it all with some hot vegetable stock and chopped red chilli (optional) until it is the desired consistency. Sometimes I also add some sweetcorn which is lovely too )t'
Lucy x

Always do sober what you said you'd do drunk. That will teach you to keep your mouth shut - Ernest Hemingway
HedgeHugger
Legendary Laner

Post by HedgeHugger »

The soup that always seems to turn out best for me is leek and potato.
I always make around 2 litres and freeze some. It makes enough for 6 large bowls.

Use pre-boiled potatoes. 2 or 3 medium to large spuds, or several small ones.
Fry leeks, 2 small, or 1 large along with a couple of onions. Add seasoning, usually pepper for me. Add in the pre-boiled spuds.

I use vegetable and/or chicken oxo, 2 will do, along with a fair amount of liquid. Try 750ml to start. Pour onto the leeks, onions and potatoes.

Add some milk. As I said my recipe aims for around 2 litres of soup, so you have to use your judgement in how much you want. Can be topped up with more water.

If I want a chunkier soup, I get the potato masher in there and make sure I leave some chunky pieces. Otherwise I get the blender with a big foot in there.
And that's about it.

Over the past year or 2 I have gone from being a soup-maker virgin to quite adept :)
Once you have a basic formula, it becomes easy to experiment.
fabindia
Legendary Laner

Post by fabindia »

Mad Chick wrote:One of my current favourites (which I have just had for my lunch) is roasted butternut squash soup.

We love butternut squash soup too and use much the same recipe. We add cummin, turmeric and chillie to make a sort of curry soup - delicious.
Michael
Mercedes
Legendary Laner

Post by Mercedes »

Thanks very much I'll give some of them a try )t'

If anyone wants an easy courgette one the recipe I used was very simple

1kg courgettes, sliced
1 onion, chopped
1tsp curry powder
500ml vegetable stock
salt and pepper to taste

Fry the onion in a bit of oil or whatever till soft, add the rest of the ingredients, bring to the boil, turn down to a simmer for 25mins. Blitz in the blender when cooled. Done {rofwl}
Lyn

Post by rhubarb93 »

One of my favourites is curried parsnip soup. Sauté some onion, add chunky diced parsnip and potatoes and a tsp mild curry powder. Cook with lid on 5 mins, then add veg or chick stock, season, simmer til veg are tender. Remove half the veg, liquidise the rest of the soup then return the veg chunks. Add a splash of milk, check seasoning and enjoy!
Mo
Legendary Laner

Post by Mo »

What is veg stock? Is it just the what you've boiled your spuds in or something special? Oh, (light dawns) do you mean a stock cube.

And how big is the bag of frozen peas? I buy huge bags. We used to get small bags in the days when there were no freezers just a tiny frozen food bit in the fridge, but when I looked while on holiday in a self catering flat I couldn't get small bags so had to buy tinned.
Last edited by Mo on 19 Nov 2013, 15:04, edited 1 time in total.
Dance caller. http://mo-dance-caller.blogspot.co.uk/p/what-i-do.html
Sunny Clucker enjoyed Folk music and song in mid-Cheshire
Mo
Legendary Laner

Post by Mo »

We tend to use a packet as a starter, then add things to stretch / improve it.
Dance caller. http://mo-dance-caller.blogspot.co.uk/p/what-i-do.html
Sunny Clucker enjoyed Folk music and song in mid-Cheshire
HedgeHugger
Legendary Laner

Post by HedgeHugger »

Most vegetable water can be used. Starchy foods like corn and potatoes, I wouldn't use the water from them. I don't know why, just brought up that way :)

Maybe the extra starch is a no-no?
Freeranger
Legendary Laner

Post by Freeranger »

Easy peasy carrot & corriander....

Heat about 1 heaped tspn corriander powder in a little butter or marge, then add about a 1lb of chopped carrot. Sweat them down for about five minutes then add boiling water to about level and crumble in a vegetable stock cube. When the carrot is cooked (10-15 mins), blend it all together then check seasonings and add a little salt and more corriander if liked.

I do the same sort of thing with garam masala and mixed root veg.
saint-spoon

Post by saint-spoon »

I quite often make a red lentil and veg soup. I chop up a large sweet Spanish onion, carrot, celery sticks, garlic cloves, a turnip and a large flowery potato, sweat all these down in a large pan with the lid on… low heat required, it’ll take about ten minutes or so. Top up with water and a stock cube to taste and bring to the boil. Reduce to a simmer and add about 100g red rinsed red lentils, simmer until the veg are cooked then blitz. I also add a load of chopped chorizo at the sweating down stage along with a good squeeze of tomato puree to make a more Mediterranean feel soup.
Bah Humbug
Meanqueen
Legendary Laner

Post by Meanqueen »

I make soup out of any bits of veg I have in. Can't really post a recipe, all my soups are different. I use curry powder, turmeric, whole grain mustard, veg stock cubes, tomato ketchup, packet sauce mix, garlic puree, anything. Zap it with a stick blender, eat with a piece of wholemeal bread.
Ilona