LL's chicken keeping adventures

Start your own thread and let us follow you through the year
Linda S
Legendary Laner

Re: LL's chicken keeping adventure 2013

Post by Linda S »

Well LL as you know I love your garden diary and this is just as good and certainly dosent dissapoint, its smashing to see your gorgeous girls and well done your set up is great {hug} Lindaxx
And then there was one, Again!!!!
Jemima
xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
Little Angels Free For Ever
Honey,Lizzi,Peggy-Mitchel,April,Hope,Faith,Blondie, Sorrel,Scarlet, Penny, Gabby, Rosie, Chick-a-Dee
xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
Remembering Our Beautiful Foster Boys we are so sorry that we couldn't keep you
xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx

lancashire lass
Legendary Laner

Post by lancashire lass »

sandy wrote:I am thinking Scary may have to be renamed Mel? Maybe that may change her character {rofwl}

I keep whispering "Christmas dinner" to her but to no avail - the feather pulling started again over the weekend so I gave the others a thorough spray which did not go down well and the rapport I had with them has gone (I loved the way they would rush up to me - obviously for food - but now they evade me when I get close) but I had to hold them down to make sure the spray went where I wanted it to. Did it stop Scary? Instead, she yanked a primary feather off poor Ginger which must have hurt.

Linda S wrote:Well LL as you know I love your garden diary and this is just as good and certainly dosent dissapoint, its smashing to see your gorgeous girls and well done your set up is great {hug} Lindaxx

{hug} thank you - though I'm wondering now if the run is big enough. When I open the gate to take in their afternoon feed, I've let them wander out a bit further knowing they will rush back into the run when I toss stuff in there (quite funny to watch them race to get back inside for the treat) My neighbour's ash tree is starting to shed leaves right outside the run, and the first thing they do is pick them up and start eating - Baby can be quite bold and I've seen her snatch the leaves from Scary and run away ... Scary just stands there stunned by the audacity of it LOL However, I don't like the idea of them eating the leaves (I don't think they are poisonous but I can't be sure) so their freedom is brief. I had the idea of bagging up some of the leaves when the fruit trees start to shed and putting them into the run for them to scratch - perhaps if the floor litter looked more appealing than dirt, they might be more interested in what's underneath than trying to peck each other's feathers but knowing my lot, they might think the leaves are food. Oh hum.

Weather-wise the run has withstood the heavy rain and wind thrown at it - just one hole in the roof where a branch from the cherry tree goes through is a problem where water lands in the run but it surprisingly quickly dries up afterwards as the girls turn over the soil.

I should take some more photos of them as they are definitely looking much more grown up with bigger combs and wattles. Scary (the Blue) is the more mature looking one and very striking (such a shame she is a horrid hen as she really does look a beauty) Posh the Black despite being "top hen" is actually the smallest of them all now, while Baby the Amber is a much chunkier hen (and the noisiest LOL) Ginger the Ranger despite laying the most eggs (and biggest) is slender.

I've had the chooks nearly 5 weeks now and they've certainly been entertaining as well as productive - I don't know why I never got them sooner. The manure and soiled bedding alone is gold for the allotment, with the surplus eggs being snapped up as soon as I bring them into work to sell so paying for their feed. I was surprised to find the 20kg bag of layers pellets had to be replaced so soon - I was sure it was supposed to last at least 2 months. It's possible the pellets have got buried in the soil as I toss some around so that they all have access otherwise the bully blue would probably hog the feeder, and they do like to scratch the dirt creating holes everywhere.

I have also noticed how quickly it gets dark in an evening - just a month ago they were going to roost at about 8.00pm and now it's nearer 6.30pm. The clocks will be going back an hour in a couple of weeks so nights will be drawing in much earlier and I've been turning my attention to their afternoon feed which contains the veggies and corn ... it will be dark by the time I get back from work so not sure what to do. When I get home from work now, I can hear them calling for the feed (even though there is still plenty of pellets in the feeder) I have bought a cheap outside light to put inside the run so that I can see to open up the coop and put fresh water and feed in a morning. I was contemplating on having it on a timer to go on in the afternoon but not sure how this will work ... perhaps I could experiment over a weekend and if it doesn't work out then I can always abandon the idea.
sandy
Legendary Laner

Post by sandy »

This time a year is a pain when you work, they will soon be in bed before you get home and having a lie in when they should be having breakfast! I may have to contact Defra if you continue to tease your girl with the line {rofwl}
The Pink Ladies..Audrey,Ingrid-Bergman,Madeleline,Norma-Jean,Dora,Janice,Jo,Robyn,Chrissy and Joyce
The Peds…Mork,Mindy,Bell,Saphire &
Vorky ,Blueped,Ginger,Ninger &Linky

Sunny Clucker was ere July 12-21 2012
Sunny Clucker was ere July 6 2016 to Sept 9th 2017
Sunny Clucker is here , rehomed Aug 18th 2018/
lancashire lass
Legendary Laner

sandy wrote:This time a year is a pain when you work, they will soon be in bed before you get home and having a lie in when they should be having breakfast! I may have to contact Defra if you continue to tease your girl with the line {rofwl}

Well I have put a temporary battery operated LED light in the run for now - it's a sort of a mini stick on type you might put under kitchen cabinets or in the shed and it is surprisingly bright enough to cope with the early morning daybreak so that I can put the feed and fresh water in the run. Regardless of the lack of daylight, as soon as they hear me coming, they are moving about the coop and calling to be let out but then the girls like to tell me that it is still dark and very noisy about it too. It was even darker than usual this morning and quite funny to watch them all feeding together directly under the small spotlight {rofwl}

As Linda S noticed in my garden diary:

Linda S wrote:Hi LL I love the way the girls have woven their way into the allotment as in all the bits and bobs you now take home for them and how they enjoy your cabbage and corn cobs but let Mum know that marrow and apples dont quite cut it, {rofwl}

the girls do let me know their likes and dislikes. As I don't let them free range, I basically need to provide them with some of the things they would normally find for themselves. They only get the fruit & veggie feed in the late afternoon and I've done quite a bit of research on the benefits. Providing they have their layers pellets as the bulk of their feed, the later feed does improve their eggs in a number of ways. I'm probably preaching to the converted, but certain vegetables like dark leafy greens (kale, chard, beet) contain the carotenoids (what gives vegetables their colours such as red in peppers and tomatoes, orange carrots etc) that darken the yolks from the pale yellow of a wheat based diet to golden. Flowers such as nasturtium and pot marigold also naturally colour eggs (no need to doctor their feed with something like turmeric or chemical additive) And omega-3 rich eggs are due to feeding them grain such as flaxseed (hemp) It's quite a fascinating subject when you read more about it.

The main reason for the research was to learn about diet and if this affects behaviour. I know Scary Blue is just a bully but I did wonder why her pecking had escalated to feather eating so I just wanted to see if she was trying to self supplement her food. She is the only one who recognises a protein source whether it be fish, cooked egg, mealworm and is almost desperate to eat it all up before the others do - okay, she could just be greedy but when behaviour in any species changes, there is usually a reason. I also learned that communal eating tends to curb bullying and she does seem to be less aggressive when they are all tucking into their afternoon feast. Early days yet, but I have seen an improvement.

Introducing new things to the run is usually met with suspicion. I've always sliced and diced a small amount of cabbage and mixed it with their other stuff, and at first I used to slice kernels off the cob. Then one day I hung a whole cob up and they ignored it until Ginger (the bottom hen) had a peck, then they all dived in and suddenly it was THE most sought after veg. When I harvested the cabbage from the allotment on Sunday, the outer leaves were in very good condition (no slug or bug holes) - normally I would cut these off and leave in the compost bin but decided to bring them home and hang a few whole leaves up. They seemed so unsure about this mystery tethered veg and gave it a wide berth until Ginger was brave enough to have a nibble. I concluded that (1) for all their bolshy attitude, the top hens are not the bravest to try new things and (2) when they see another hen eating something, then it must be edible LOL.

Last week their egg laying seemed to be slowing down - something I was half expecting - but with the mild weather, it has gone back up again. I always thought daylight length was the factor in egg laying, but clearly mild weather plays a part too. I'm well aware that they are still young so shouldn't put too much into it. Meanwhile, my order book is filling up and lots of people have showed an interest in buying the surplus eggs which is good news )t' but I have warned everyone that it is not a guaranteed supply.
lancashire lass
Legendary Laner

This past week after the clocks went back an hour, their afternoon feed has been seriously disrupted - I managed to get home just before they went to roost on Monday and Tuesday but they only had about 10 minutes to quickly eat. On Wednesday my car played up so I had to pull over until it sorted itself out, and it was actually dark by the time I got home. Worse, I hadn't been able to check the nest box for eggs as I had left early in the morning so I tentatively opened the lid ... there was a clutch of eggs in one box, and a chicken in the other. The girls made little noises as I carefully put my hand in the box and Ginger obliged by slowly lifting her body up so that I could have a feel underneath but no eggs - I apologised and quietly locked the coop up for the night. On Thursday the car decided to have a total break down and I had to call out Green Flag - it was well late by the time I got home. As before, I tried the sneak-into-the-nest box trick but this time there were 2 chickens in the nest boxes - I trust Ginger but Scary Blue is a little more intimidating LOL so I closed the lid and collected 3 eggs the next morning.

As the afternoon feed is more a supplement than treat, I have not been too happy about them missing it. I'm sure they didn't go to bed hungry as I keep the feeder filled with layers pellets but it does mean they don't get opportunity to eat greens and anything else I give. It's been drummed into me that the girls should fill up on layers pellets first, so what to do. On Thursday morning I made up a warm mash with the pellets which they tucked into, then just before I left for work gave them a load of chopped greens and mixed grains as well as chunks of marrow to keep them occupied. It doesn't seem to have disrupted their egg laying and if anything, the girls have increased productivity >coc< I've been collecting a steady average 22 eggs a week over the past 5 weeks, and this last week there was 24!

Meanwhile their antics make me laugh - they've now learned a new trick. When I open the run door, they spill out and run in all directions in this new found freedom. I've given up trying to herd them back in and usually toss stuff into the run which has them running straight back in to eat. But for some reason they seem to think all the fallen leaves from the trees are an all you can eat buffet and they each have a leaf in their beak when they are running back into the run. I've researched toxicity of various trees and ash doesn't seem to have any warnings but still, I try to take the leaves off them as the leaves are quite tough and I don't want them getting digestive problems. I managed to catch Ginger and take the leaf off her, only for her to snatch it back. It was really funny and almost a game with her. Of all the hens, she is such a character and hard to believe that she is bottom ranking.

I was worried about the noise of fireworks disturbing them but on Saturday afternoon someone was setting off loud bangers close by. That made me jump but the chickens just carried on as normal and seemed totally unaffected. I found that quite surprising. I know they are not deaf because they have sussed out that the noise from the key turning in the back door means I will be coming to the run ... at first I thought the girls were always noisy all the time but I had to shift some stuff at the side of the house and could not hear a peep out of them until I went indoors and unlocked the back door and they all started to make their clucking and squawking calls. Who said chickens were stupid LOL.
sandy
Legendary Laner

Post by sandy »

This is why I hate this time of the year! Not enough chickeny time }hairout{
The Pink Ladies..Audrey,Ingrid-Bergman,Madeleline,Norma-Jean,Dora,Janice,Jo,Robyn,Chrissy and Joyce

Kuikentje
Longlasting Laner

Post by Kuikentje »

Fascinating, LL, I'm learning from what you write and also seeing that you have noticed some of the same things as I have.
Life's too short to quarrel
lancashire lass
Legendary Laner

This past week I had a surge of requests from my "customers" for eggs and for the first time ever, demand exceeded supply >dowhat< And bless the girls, once again the egg tally this week was up to 24 (not bad from 4 hens and at this time of year too)

Twice this week I've come home in the dark to find the girls still in the run. The first time, I presumed I'd forgotten to latch the coop door open (I have tied a piece of rope and hook on the end to catch it on the mesh to stop the door from swinging shut) I like to poop pick the coop and nest box every morning to make sure it is all nice and clean for the rest of the day (less smelly) and that means it is not a big task at the weekends. However, the coop run door gets in the way, so I tend to shut it while I'm cleaning the coop. There were eggs in the nest box so perhaps I'd just forgotten to tie the door open. As it was still dusk, I put the battery LED light on and gave the chooks a handful of mixed corn which they ate and then put themselves to bed soon after.

However, on Friday the traffic home was truly awful, stop start practically all the way so it was very late when I got home. No need to rush out, I took my time but when I unlocked the back door to lock up the coop, imagine my surprise when the girls started calling out ... not something they do once they've gone to roost. When I got to a very dark run, once again the coop door was closed. I was so sure I'd latched it up as part of my check list. Getting them into the coop was such a palaver - they seemed totally disorientated and unable to find their way in despite my putting a torch in the coop and hoping the light would attract them up the ladder through the coop hole. In the end, I opted for picking them up and popping them in the coop side door - they all seemed very confused with the coop lit up with the torch and stood exactly where I'd left them rather than move on to the perches/nest box LOL. Just as I locked up, THEN I remembered to check the nest box for eggs but there were none >coc< I had to use the torch to find them (a clutch right next to the door in the run ... how I didn't stand on them is a miracle)

Saturday revealed what could have happened - one of the girls had decided to take flying lessons on to the coop run roof via the door which could have unlatched the hook from the mesh if it had been pushed open. Distinctive nail scratches and poop on the roof was a dead give away.

As I feel as though I've neglected them all week with the dark evenings, I treated them to a pile of freshly dug up earthworms. And the best part of it, the girls were anticipating the worms as I dug over the old raspberry bed and got very excited watching me pop the worms into a tray. I opened the run door but Scary darted out and had decided to go foraging in the leaf litter building up on the steps instead but the other 3 followed me as I walked in the run with the tray. As I tipped the worms out, it was an all out frenzy and Scary came flying back to find all the worms had gone ... except for Ginger running round squealing with a big fat one in her beak. Then it was who could get the worm as Ginger ran around in the panic with the others in hot pursuit {rofwl} The winner was Scary but I didn't feel so bad that she missed out on the earlier feast as I'm sure Ginger had had her fair share.

In my research on feeding hens and egg production, I learned something interesting. Apparently a diet rich in protein can cause hens to lay very large eggs. As hens get older, it is advisable to reduce the protein (especially anything containing high levels of methionine, lysine and arginine amino acids) as often this is the major cause of prolapse. My girls aren't moulting, but I learned that the best protein to feed hens in moult should contain higher levels of methionine and lysine - the best source of methionine is eggs, followed by sesame seed, brazil nuts, soybean protein. Fish and meat have about half the quantity, and corn, beans, chickpea, lentils and rice have the lowest.
sandy
Legendary Laner

Post by sandy »

Wow thats very CSI but I see the sense, as if they are called layers pellets surely thats to help them to lay and we dont want that when they are more mature ladies and they get problems. Like you I hate the dark nights, only about 5 months to go {cry}

lancashire lass
Legendary Laner

sandy wrote:only about 5 months to go {cry}

Hopefully less than 4 for me >fi<

Not much to report on the antics of the girls this week other than I've been making an extra special effort to make sure the coop run door can't swing shut so easily even if one of them should try to use the door as a perch. A couple of times I've seen Ginger look at the coop run roof and even rock on her haunches as though imagining a take off but then she's changed her mind. She's the only one now who can still fly up to the top pallet shelf and on to the high rise run ... I think Baby has perhaps got a bit too heavy for flight as she is looking so grown up now. They are all looking adult now - when they jerk their heads from side to side as they do, their bigger combs and wattles wobble more noticeable and are a much redder colour.

This week I've been playing around with their feed again - only a subtle change, adding a little bit of flaxseed and sunflower seeds to their mixed corn feed. Flaxseed adds Omega 3 to the eggs, but unlike commercial feeding, I will probably only do it now and again as I'd like to read up more on the "side effects" to the chucks (small amounts should do no more harm than if we were eating the flaxseed direct ourselves, but I'm not sure what long term feeding will do and whether it is good or bad)

With the forecast of cold weather this week, I turned my attention to the coop. It is one of those cheap flimsy flat packed ones which is perfectly fine for purpose, but I'm not sure the wood thickness is enough for when temperatures should really drop. Because of all the horror stories of red mite, I had filled in all the joint cracks and knot holes with filler then gave the inside of the coop several coats of gloss paint for easier cleaning. The downside to the gloss paint is a cold factor and also risk of condensation - I was going to line the wall with cardboard but not so sure now as it can go mouldy and not good for the girls (or worse, they eat the cardboard ....)

Meanwhile on Saturday I went to the local pet shop to get some straw - an expensive purchase but a long story why I didn't look elsewhere. Well, I stood in the aisle at the array of bedding materials and to be honest, I didn't know whether to get hay, straw or some other concoction. All I wanted was a small amount to put on top of the coop roof to act as insulation. At the moment the straw are still in their bags ... when I took the bags down to the run and opened the door, as per usual the girls dashed outside and started to feed on the leaf litter that was building up. Why do they eat the leaves - they can't be tasty, not to mention tough and chewy? They get plenty to eat, much more than if they were free range with plenty of greens, grain and the odd treat so they are not starving. I just don't understand the mentality behind this leaf feeding frenzy - I WAS hoping to bag up lots of leaves and put into their run for them to scratch but I'm not so sure if they are going to eat them. Hence the straw - it suddenly didn't look such a good idea to open the bags up and some of it spill on to the run floor if the girls are going to eat it }hairout{ So the straw is still in the bags and on top of the coop roof like big fat pillows.

I also moved a sheet of polycarbonate (ex greenhouse panel) and pushed it behind the coop against the run fence - it should let sunlight through but cut down on draughts. Depending on how far temperatures drop, I have a couple more pieces which I could use if need be. There is a thick piece of polystyrene which I've put on top of the nest box lid and weighted down. I don't think I can do much more now and think that as long as the run and coop are dry, then they'll be fine >fi<

Talking of feeding - the girls clearly use their feeder so that has put my mind to rest. When I first got them, I would scatter pellets around the run so that they would scratch and eat them in a manner that was more natural than eating from a feeder. However, as nights have drawn in earlier, I have been unable to give them an afternoon feed. It's not critical for them to eat corn last thing and everything is in the layers pellets but I started to wonder if they ever went to the feeder. This weekend they seemed to visit it much more often than usual so that is a relief.

Egg tally this week is slightly down (either that or I've forgotten to add them) but still a good healthy 21 eggs from 4 girls. I have quite a few regular customers now and the extra income has been welcome. When I was in the supermarket, I looked up the price for 6 eggs and hmmm, I can perhaps see why my customers keep coming back as I'm clearly not charging anywhere near that. I'm not making a loss so I'll leave it for now.

Meanwhile, I have been considering getting some more hens next year. My garden is big enough for another decent sized run and then also have an area between the 2 where the chickens could roam more freely together. It does mean moving the polycarbonate and polytunnel to make way for the run. Early days yet so nothing definite and a lot of planning to do. I like the idea of hens laying different coloured eggs (blues, greens, dark brown), but then I also liked the idea of getting some pure breeds (not so productive as hybrids but do live longer) I'm hoping my neighbours will be very understanding LOL

Finally, yesterday I spent the day in the garden raking and bagging up leaves to take to the allotment. When I was building the run, I had raked a lot of stuff out of the way (some leaves, twiggy branches, bits of log roll and wood off cuts from the sawing) but never got round to sorting it. I got the rake and dragged it out of the way and exposed lots of earthworms. Naturally I felt compelled to collect them for the girls ... a total of 16 worms. Last week Scary Blue missed out on the earthworm feast because of her rushing out to eat tree leaves, so this time I waved the tray in front of them so they could see the wriggly worms before I opened the door ... they got pretty excited by the sight of the worms and even Scary was following me into the run before I tipped the worms on to the floor. The feeding frenzy lasted, oh, 2 seconds if that and Ginger decided to run off squealing with a big fat worm in her beak - luckily the others were still occupied looking for more worms than at Ginger who ran into the coop run LOL. I did enjoy the day in the garden and keeping an eye on the girls - maybe that's why the jobs in the garden took a lot longer than they should have.
sandy
Legendary Laner

Post by sandy »

I would get straw every time, even if not being used as bedding as hay turns nasty after awhile. I cannot beleive you are breaking even with your eggs! Are you selling them for £5 each {rofwl} I sell mine at 20p each but to recoup my darlings keep I would need to be getting at least £10 per egg!

lancashire lass
Legendary Laner

sandy wrote:II cannot beleive you are breaking even with your eggs! Are you selling them for £5 each {rofwl} I sell mine at 20p each but to recoup my darlings keep I would need to be getting at least £10 per egg!

Well, I wouldn't say breaking even ... just enough to pay for the board and lodgings {rofwl} I think we can safely say that we'll not be getting rich and I seriously doubt I'll ever recoup the money spent on the initial set up (coop, hens and materials for the run) but in terms of manure for the allotment, eggs for sale as well as for the dinner table, and simply watching their antics, the girls are worth their weight in gold. The money from the egg sales go towards their feed and any other essential item (bedding etc) ... if I worked within a budget and didn't get side-tracked, there would be more than enough money!
sandy
Legendary Laner

Post by sandy »

Oh yes, just watching the girls is reward enough )t' Of course you will never stay within budget, there is always something else we just have to buy for our girls {hug&kiss}

lancashire lass
Legendary Laner

We've had some real chilly nights this past week but the girls seem to be doing fine. Egg production went down slightly the week before but back to a normal 22 last week. Unfortunately, 2 of the usual "customers" were away (one on holiday, the other sick) and I now have quite a lot of eggs at the moment.

But we have a bigger problem now ... a rat yike* Last weekend I was not sure if I'd seen a rat or just the back of a blackbird ducking between plant pots on the patio but I have been aware of some scratching sounds while in the run. I couldn't see anything and the girls wouldn't shut up long enough to find the source. I already take the feeder and drinker out at night but still, I started to wonder if the rotted bits of fencing at the bottom of the patio fence were holes for the rat. The chickens move a lot of earth around so I wasn't really sure so after I'd locked them up for the night, I raked all the loose soil up to the holes and covered them ... the following morning there was a distinctive hole in the dirt. Well, I tried blocking the holes up with bricks and mesh but it's a determined rat and made another hole, grrrr. Meanwhile, I ordered a rat cage online - the sooner I get it evicted, the better although someone suggested there might be a nest of them >dowhat< This morning I shone a torch down the hole and could see it's little nose twitching.

I checked the feed and bedding bins and there are no signs of entry so hopefully the rat is just making use of a nice dry fence to live in and any feed the girls don't get to eat but I don't like the idea of the rat being in the run - I'm just surprised the chickens haven't tried to peck it :? This week I am worming the girls with the flubenvet impregnated layers pellets which will be in the feeder so there'll be no treats lying around in the run. I know the girls are not going to be too happy about that so I'm glad they are already gone to bed by the time I get back from work LOL. Just the morning routine to face ....
sandy
Legendary Laner

Post by sandy »

Yuk! I had a rat a few weeks ago, tale tale sign the gnawing of the wood and lack of the mice family yike* I have no idea what it is called but my friend Gary squirted foam into the hole and it solidified within ten minutes, I bet a blokey person on here will know what it is? It is like concrete now. So you are worming as well eh? Made the girls pellets soggy this morning, they love ordianry soggy pellets but turned their noses up >coc< Well it was eat it or starve!