Has anyone a SAD Lamp ?

Maintaining a better wellbeing, mainline or alternative
Richard
Lord Lane of Down...... Site Owner

Has anyone a SAD Lamp ?

Post by Richard »

Hi,

I don't go in for these fancy new recently 'discovered' disorders but have to say that Winter nowadays affects me a lot, really gets me down.

Rumour has it I may be getting one of these as a Christmas present, I was thinking about getting one anyway.

If you have one or heard anything about them, are they helpful in any way?

Thanks,

Richard )t'
New Member? Get more from the Forum and join in 'Members Chat' - you're very welcome
jannie
Hedgehog Champion

Re: Has anyone a SAD Lamp ?

Post by jannie »

I've been thinking about getting one after my doctor recommended them to me ..so will be interested to hear from anyone who's used one. I don't think they could have a better effect than sitting in front of a roaring log fire but I'm open minded.
kitla
Legendary Laner

Post by kitla »

My 92 year old auntie was prescribed one by her doctor. It's much smaller than I
imagined. she feels it helps her though she hasn't had it long.
"He who is cruel to animals becomes hard also in his dealings with men. We can judge the heart of a man by his treatment of animals."
--Immanuel Kant
Mo
Legendary Laner

Post by Mo »

Getting outside on a sunny day in winter certainly gives you a lift.
So maybe the lamps do (seems like cheating!).
We didn't evolve to live this far north.
Dance caller. http://mo-dance-caller.blogspot.co.uk/p/what-i-do.html
Sunny Clucker enjoyed Folk music and song in mid-Cheshire
Stef
Legendary Laner

Post by Stef »

I have just dug mine out again, Richard. It makes a difference if I use it regularly, 15 minutes every morning for this particular one.

Have a read round, SAD.org.uk are a decent source of simple info. You can decide what kind of light you want / can afford. Read the instructions as they all have different timing recommendations, distance from eyes etc.

Mine is an LED light pad, small and with a timer button. I use it first thing in the morning and sometimes, again at midday - usually just at weekends. If I am feeling sluggish and am going out in the evening I will use it before I go out too.

Having said that I know a couple of people who have been disappointed with theirs. But there is some good science behind it, so it is worth trying. Make sure you don't have light sensitive eyes though! I can't use mine at work anymore as a colleague has incipient, early onset cataracts and has to avoid bright lights and sunshine.
1 dumbo rat still without a name; 2 top eared rats Octavia and Ursula
1 Rhode Rock, 1 Sussex Star, 1 Blue Ranger - The New Monochrome Set

My crafty blog, it's Frugal too http://relovedremnants.blogspot.co.uk/
Chicken drumstick
Longlasting Laner

Post by Chicken drumstick »

Did Santa come up with the goodies ?

I know that "low" feeling only to well and it can be hard to shake it off .

Exercise and fresh air really helps as well or anything that gets your mind focused on something .
Hope you are feeling more up beat now .
rhubarb93
Legendary Laner

Post by rhubarb93 »

I've had one for a couple of years. Don't think it does much, though it is a good bright light to work by - I have it in my "office" above the desk.
But for those who get SAD, or tired in the winter when light levels are low, ask your Dr to get you tested for Vit D levels. I was very deficient last spring, and high level supplements have made a huge difference to me.
Apparently this is pretty common, especially in "more mature" people, so worth checking.
Stef
Legendary Laner

Post by Stef »

I'll check with my GP - I am anaemic and there is a link to low vitamin D levels. I suspect he'll want to take another armful of blood, it's been a couple of years since the last one!
1 dumbo rat still without a name; 2 top eared rats Octavia and Ursula
1 Rhode Rock, 1 Sussex Star, 1 Blue Ranger - The New Monochrome Set

My crafty blog, it's Frugal too http://relovedremnants.blogspot.co.uk/