my pride and joy is marked!

Share projects, share problems, share tips amongst each other.
bmpsands
Legendary Laner

my pride and joy is marked!

Post by bmpsands »

I love my multi-fuel stove. Last week we lit it twice as the weather was horrible. One day I made a stew which I brought to the boil on the hob and then sat on a simmer plate on top of the stove for the rest of the day. Now I see that I have got some little marks on the top which look like oily fingerprints.

I've tried washing them off but they haven't shifted.

Any suggestions as to what will remove them?
Bea; 19 hens (most of whom I intended to get); 6 bantams (which I never intended to have); old Benji dog and young Toby dog (who I definitely wanted). Three years into country living and loving it.
Totally Scrambled
Site Admin

Re: my pride and joy is marked!

Post by Totally Scrambled »

On our cast iron fireplace we use Zebo polish, you put it on a cloth, rub it on, wait a bit and then polish off the residue leaving the cast iron shiny and black.
Stovax say,"To refresh the exterior look of your stove or fire, aerosol paint or colloidal black cleaner is available for most painted finishes. Enamelled surfaces should only be cleaned with a lightly dampened, soft cloth only."
Here's a Link to the stuff they sell )t'
Hope that's some help.
Dom
Ali Woks My World
bmpsands
Legendary Laner

Post by bmpsands »

Thanks Dom - I did wonder if the usual stove cleaner would work, but haven't dared try it in case is sealed the greasy patches in.

I might try on the one spot on the side panel.
Bea; 19 hens (most of whom I intended to get); 6 bantams (which I never intended to have); old Benji dog and young Toby dog (who I definitely wanted). Three years into country living and loving it.
Totally Scrambled
Site Admin

Post by Totally Scrambled »

The stuff we use covers over the marks a bit like shoe polish does on shoes, so I don't see why similar stuff shouldn't do the same.
Dom
Ali Woks My World
davina112
Legendary Laner

Post by davina112 »

We use a product from the range shop, can't remember the name but as Dom says you put it on with a cloth. It brings my stove back to mat black rather than the charcoal colour (pardon the pun) it takes on after a while )t'
[center][/center]Davina
sparky
Learner Laner

Post by sparky »

We use the collodial black from St**ax, maybe twice a year. It really does come up like new! I cant remember the price but it didnt break the bank. It goes on a treat too.
bmpsands
Legendary Laner

Post by bmpsands »

My stove cleaner has worked fine - but I can still see what I think are grease marks.

I'll be lighting it again today so I'll see, if it is grease, whether I can remove it whilst the surface is hot.