I've made some cushion covers

From Crochet to Collectables and other Interests
Meanqueen
Legendary Laner

I've made some cushion covers

Post by Meanqueen »

I suppose this could go in the recycling topics as I've used second hand fabric for these five matching cushion covers. They are made from car boot sale and charity shop finds, as well as some of my own bedding and fabric stash that I have picked up from the Scrapstore.

The patchwork was hand sewn, same size squares as the quilt I made, 36 squares for each cover. The covers are easy to make, they have an envelope opening at the back, and are made from a bed sheet. Very little sewing is needed to make them, they can be run up on the machine in ten minutes. I added the patchwork to the front of the cover, rather than make it part of the cover. The backs are plain red by the way. I'm really pleased with them. I had some drab boring covers, now my sofa looks bright and cheerful.

I'm getting into this patchwork lark, there will be no amazing designs however, I just like mixing colours and making something practical and useful. I have seen some elaborate wall hangings, there won't be any of that, ha ha. I've started another piece of random patchwork, which might end up as a throw. Who knows, I might change my mind, it could end up as anything.
Ilona
jemberelli
Legendary Laner

Re: I've made some cushion covers

Post by jemberelli »

I love them, great use of 'found' fabrics x
No girls at the moment but look forward to getting more in the future. Proud mummy to Hector, a Bedlington Terrier x Jack Russell
wendy

Post by wendy »

Very pretty, well done.
http://www.busheyk9.co.uk

If you can't be a good example........
you will just have to be a horrible warning
Linda S
Legendary Laner

Post by Linda S »

Some more gorgeous makes from you Ilona and again all hand sewn and so neat, they are great :-D .
Your getting good at this sewing lark and matching different fabrics up, I should think you are pleased they are lovely :-D Lindaxx
And then there was one, Again!!!!
Jemima
xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
Little Angels Free For Ever
Honey,Lizzi,Peggy-Mitchel,April,Hope,Faith,Blondie, Sorrel,Scarlet, Penny, Gabby, Rosie, Chick-a-Dee
xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
Remembering Our Beautiful Foster Boys we are so sorry that we couldn't keep you
xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
mrs boodles
Legendary Laner

Post by mrs boodles »

Looking good Illona, have put my patchwork away for a while and gone back to knitting.
urbanchicks
Longlasting Laner

Post by urbanchicks »

Lovely materials, it's something i've never done.

Maggie.
Meanqueen
Legendary Laner

Post by Meanqueen »

mrs boodles wrote:Looking good Illona, have put my patchwork away for a while and gone back to knitting.

Hi Mrs B. I have always been drawn to sewing from an early age. I can knit and crochet but a ball of wool doesn't have the same appeal to me as a few pieces of fabric. My best friend was always a knitter, even at school, and now after a long career in finance, she has rediscovered knitting. Whatever floats your boat.
Ilona
Mo
Legendary Laner

Post by Mo »

Someone in my class at school was a knitter. Could knit under the desk (the knitting, not her) without moving her elbows or looking at it.

I was put off patchwork at age 11 by the comments of a judge when I put a single bed sized quilt in for a GLB thrift badge and competition. It didn't look pretty like yours but it had taken my ages to make using fabric from old clothes (which I thought thrift was all about)
Dance caller. http://mo-dance-caller.blogspot.co.uk/p/what-i-do.html
Sunny Clucker enjoyed Folk music and song in mid-Cheshire
Spreckly
Legendary Laner

Post by Spreckly »

Mo, they look great. If I made patchwork squares, none of them would be the same size.

I have recently given all my patchwork pieces to a craft group. But earlier this week I sent off a knitted blanket made of coloures squares to the charity which I support for South African Street kids.

Back to knitting jumpers for the kids in future, squares not my strong point.
albertajune
Legendary Laner

Post by albertajune »

They are so pretty and colourful. I've never done patchwork but it does seem to be something that can be done when sitting in the evenings. Must have a go. )t'
I am now a widow and live with my memories.