Todays makes

Recipes, Cooking tips and maybe some 'Home Made' secrets !
albertajune
Legendary Laner

Todays makes

Post by albertajune »

This afternoon I am going to make our mince pies, which I will freeze uncooked. I bought a shops own mincemeat, to which I have added dried cranberries, chopped dried apricots and a good dash of brandy.
Will also make, if I can find my small ramekins, small plait rings of bread. I add garlic and herbs to the bread mix and form into a small plaited circle. This is cooked with a ramekin in the centre, ready to take a portion of camembert to melt when reheated. I'm not a lover of smelly cheese, so these are just the right size for one or sharing .If I made the party size one, OH would eat it until gone and I have to watch his figure.
I might also make chopped sundried tomato and black olive bread, which I like just on their own and warm from the oven or with cold meats. Lovely on boxing day when just picking )x6(
I am now a widow and live with my memories.
Mercedes
Legendary Laner

Re: Todays makes

Post by Mercedes »

Sounds divine June, you are making me very hungry {rofwl}
Lyn
Legendary Laner

Post by mrs boodles »

Sounds scrummy June. )x6( I haven`t long discovered camembert. liddly have Cornish camembert on offer so going to see what that is like.
Benny&Co
Project Hedgehog Leader

Post by Benny&Co »

Oooh June that all sounds extremely scrummy and I don't even like mince pies usually )x6(

I'm going to try your bread plaits - do you do it in a bread maker or by hand?
Bev x
Our family: my-Lovely-Hubbly and I, Benny and our two little Ladies - Betty and Gloria.

RIP dear little Ladies - Lottie, Cottie, Elsie, Dottie, Hilda and Margie. You may have gone, but are never ever forgotten.
albertajune
Legendary Laner

Post by albertajune »

Benny&Co wrote:Oooh June that all sounds extremely scrummy and I don't even like mince pies usually )x6(

I make mine by hand but you can use the bread maker to the point of the dough having risen. I then bash it down, give a little knead and roll or bash out fairly flat

Onto this I put either chopped garlic and a bit of onion if liked (whatever your taste is) and I use dried herbs. Fold up to enclose the filling and divide into three to make a plait. Put the cheese container on a baking tine and wrap the plait around it.

Or use chopped garlic, chopped sundried tomatoes and herbs. Black olives if liked.

Brush the top with olive oil and sprinkle with herbs before letting it rise again and then cooking.

These don't have to made as plaits but can be left as flat breads. I quite often make savoury breads and freeze. I also love cheese and onion, made the same way but with chopped onion and grated cheese. Cheese also on top and sprinkled with whole cumin seeds. Lovely.

Goodness me Bev, what a long way of answering your question. >dum<

As I froze mine, the cheese will be put in the container when the bread is reheated.
I am now a widow and live with my memories.
Benny&Co
Project Hedgehog Leader

Post by Benny&Co »

Thanks June, will give it a whirl as I love anything like that )t' )x6(
Bev x
Our family: my-Lovely-Hubbly and I, Benny and our two little Ladies - Betty and Gloria.

RIP dear little Ladies - Lottie, Cottie, Elsie, Dottie, Hilda and Margie. You may have gone, but are never ever forgotten.
Mercedes
Legendary Laner

Post by Mercedes »

Benny&Co wrote:Oooh June that all sounds extremely scrummy and I don't even like mince pies usually )x6(

As you know Bev I've been making a lot of bread lately and I really find it the easiest of things to do now that I've got the hang of it. I have found that for cakes I really do need a proper mixer and for soups I need a proper blender, but for bread, well I can't see the point of a bread maker. A friend of mine has one and she can only make a simple loaf in it and even that comes out with a kind of hole in the middle.

Also 10mins of kneading bread dough can be very therapeutic {rofwl}
Lyn