mealworms bargain

Thrifty tips, ideas, news & experiences on anything around the home to shopping to re-cycling etc.
kitla
Legendary Laner

mealworms bargain

Post by kitla »

Wilknsons have their big tubs of dried mealworms on offer at £6.99 instead of the
usual £8.99 (which was still cheaper than anywhere else)
Last time I went there were none left, so if there in - stock up quick!
"He who is cruel to animals becomes hard also in his dealings with men. We can judge the heart of a man by his treatment of animals."
--Immanuel Kant
Linda S
Legendary Laner

Re: mealworms bargain

Post by Linda S »

Hi Kitla if the big tubs are 500grm which they are in our store then the cheapest place is still house bargains at 99p for 100gr if you have one near of course.
Pounstreetcher and the pound shops are 99p or £1 too but usually only 70 or 80grm so worth checking the packs )t'

I shop around for mealworms with as much care as i do for our food, i woulnt have believed it a couple of years ago that i would be an expert on the best value mealworms for miles around {rofwl} Lindaxx
And then there was one, Again!!!!
Jemima
xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
Little Angels Free For Ever
Honey,Lizzi,Peggy-Mitchel,April,Hope,Faith,Blondie, Sorrel,Scarlet, Penny, Gabby, Rosie, Chick-a-Dee
xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
Remembering Our Beautiful Foster Boys we are so sorry that we couldn't keep you
xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
kitla
Legendary Laner

Post by kitla »

Linda, the big tubs are 3 litres (just to be awkward!) but probably about 500gms.
I did used to buy the 100gm bags for £1 from a local discount shop but they
stopped doing them (or I bought them all!) so Wilkis became the cheapest around.
I'll have to check again & see if the cheapo ones are back in stock - and buy a trolley
full for the winter. )t'
"He who is cruel to animals becomes hard also in his dealings with men. We can judge the heart of a man by his treatment of animals."
--Immanuel Kant
davina112
Legendary Laner

Post by davina112 »

Today I got 400gm for £5.00 )t'
[center][/center]Davina
HazellB
Longlasting Laner

Post by HazellB »

I sell a kilo for £9.
I also do 5kg bags for a maximum of £42 (as low as £35 to big purchasers)

Can I suggest you all try your local, small pet food shop and just ask how much they can do them for? Take them a tub to refill for you if they're willing. I refill for several customers as it saves me expensive plastic bags, ensures I know my customer's names and habits (always a good selling ploy!) and keeps them coming back. Make yourself a customer like I have and you're always bound to get a good deal )t'

For the record, 3L is about 550 to 600g. The tubs weight roughly 140g on top of that. The 100g ones from pound shops are 100g INCLUDING the heavy plastic they're encased in, so actually not brilliant value usually.
@Sheldonatsov
My horrible dog's a Twit(ter)
kitla
Legendary Laner

Post by kitla »

I don't know anywhere local that sells them loose, what county are you in Hazel?
--Immanuel Kant
HazellB
Longlasting Laner

Post by HazellB »

kitla wrote:I don't know anywhere local that sells them loose, what county are you in Hazel?

Sorry, forgot to check in this section.
York. However, any small pet food shop can get them via wholesalers. Just ask your local market stall or small shop and tell them how many you'll be buying over a month or two month period. If they won't trade down in price, tell them you'll go elsewhere. You will need to buy a reasonable amount to make it worth their while - don't insult them by only wanting a kilo a month and still wanting huge discounts.

(Won't repeat what I told a woman to do last weekend when she wanted a 'bulk' discount on two £1.50 bags of dog biscuits. She left with a flea and several words starting with F in her ear. The previous customer had spent over £180!)
@Sheldonatsov
jemberelli
Legendary Laner

Post by jemberelli »

I bought a kilo bag of meal worms from The R*nge today for £9.99 - saving of £5 I think it was. Makes it equivalent to HB prices, not sure how long they are on offer for.
No girls at the moment but look forward to getting more in the future. Proud mummy to Hector, a Bedlington Terrier x Jack Russell
davina112
Legendary Laner

Post by davina112 »

I too got 1kilo for £10 from our local cash and carry this weekend )t'
[center][/center]Davina
HazellB
Longlasting Laner

Post by HazellB »

No offense, but I said they're £9 a kilo in my place, so those two are still 10% more.

Seriously, try your small local shops not supermarkets and big business.
@Sheldonatsov
jemberelli
Legendary Laner

Post by jemberelli »

No offence taken, just sharing my find for people who don't know of a local feed merchant or similar but do have 'town' shops nearby.
No girls at the moment but look forward to getting more in the future. Proud mummy to Hector, a Bedlington Terrier x Jack Russell