Food waste - 80 Million chickens thrown away?

Discussion on living for a better and more responsible future
fabindia
Legendary Laner

Food waste - 80 Million chickens thrown away?

Post by fabindia »

I was going to post this last week but didn't get time.

According to the Metro (free) newspaper, 80 million chickens are simply thrown in the bin. Also, 70% of all pre-packed salad ends up in the bin. It would appear that we in this country simply waste an amazing amount of food.

Whilst I find this amazing, on the other hand, we enjoy food security. It isn't very often our supermarkets run out of food. So, perhaps waste is the price we pay for knowing that tomorrow frozen chicken Kiev will be on the shelves?
Michael
manda

Re: Food waste - 80 Million chickens thrown away?

Post by manda »

It used to be you had what was available according to supply now it's gone the other way that supply outstrips demand....somehow that's not progress me thinks in a world where we have finite resources.
It's horrific to think that all those animals lives are wasted when in other parts of the globe people are dying of starvation :?
¸.•´¸.•*´¨) ¸.•*¨)✰
(¸.✰´¨(¸.✰ Manda

Living our version of the Good Life with 4 dogs, 6 cats, a cow, a few sheep, Angora Goats and ???? chooks.
Don't get your knickers in a knot..it solves nothing ~ just makes you walk funny
Mercedes
Legendary Laner

Post by Mercedes »

We were in our local Tesco Extra this evening and they have one of those Euphorium bakeries in there. We were chatting to one of the women working there and saw she was bagging up all the left over bread from the day and then throwing it all in the bin. Apparently they are not allowed to discount it for customers and the local homeless place frequently doesn't bother to come and pick it up so it's just chucked away. Considering they charge £2.90 a loaf and there must have been at least 100 of them, seems an awful lot of waste :?
Lyn

Post by wendy »

}hairout{ I knew I would get mad. All those chickens have lived a life in hell to be thrown away. What is the matter with this World. All the people supposedly going hungry, living below the poverty line and good food is thrown away.
Someone needs to get a grip !!!!!
http://www.busheyk9.co.uk

If you can't be a good example........
you will just have to be a horrible warning
Mercedes
Legendary Laner

Post by Mercedes »

It's much worse when animals are thrown away like that, I thought it was bad enough that we were throwing away salad and bread and all the other stuff we haven't heard about, but when it's animals it's just so wrong :?
Lyn
Legendary Laner

Post by Mo »

It's not right, is it. Wasted animal lives and wasted food.

We call at a Ss local after dance club at about 10.30, and although they are open to 11 we can never buy bread as she will have just bagged it up to be chucked. Makes me mad.
Dance caller. http://mo-dance-caller.blogspot.co.uk/p/what-i-do.html
Sunny Clucker enjoyed Folk music and song in mid-Cheshire
Scrambled
Lively Laner

Post by Scrambled »

It is utter lunacy and beyond depressing. I despair, I really do.
lancashire lass
Legendary Laner

Post by lancashire lass »

Before supermarkets, small shops would make and sell just enough fresh stuff such as bread and cakes for the day - they would not make much of a profit margin if they chucked loads away every day. And there wasn't 24 hour opening hours - if you didn't get your act together, you went without when the shelves emptied.

Supermarkets also determine the way we shop - for example, I like fresh bread rolls on a Saturday (I also buy a standard loaf for the week's packed lunches which goes straight into the freezer) and the price is something like 75p for 6, or buy 3 packs of 6 for £1.50p. Yes, I could freeze the rest but 12 months down the line, I'll find the opened packet that got accidentally wedged at the back and not think twice of disposing it. Now if there were no offers and the price was the same, then there would have been no need for me to multi-buy in the first place. I think these kind of offers are one of the major reasons for food wastage. It is natural to think you are taking advantage of something that seems too good to be true - we still have our basic instincts to strip the bush clean of ripe berries as they might not be there the next day. So blaming consumers is the wrong way to go about it.

As for the chickens - the poultry industry can churn out 100 000s of chicken for the table in a matter of weeks, probably more quickly than I can grow vegetables. When I was growing up, a chicken was first roasted, then umpteen meals from it before the whole carcass was picked clean and the bones went into a pan to make stock or soup. Does anyone remember Hugh Fearnley Whittingstall Chicken Run tv series a few years back - I was shocked to find that people even on low income, did not know how to make the most out of a chicken and would bin it after taking off prime pieces - so clearly education is still lacking. And then there are food safety rules - I nearly fell over backwards when I found out a cooked bird should not be eaten after 3 days ... not realising that our food is a lot more contaminated with bacteria due to the industrial nature of producing it, and some people do not know how to handle or store food properly.

And let's not forget those silly EU rules of how a product should look means that a lot of produce has to be disposed of because it doesn't meet some standard.
wendy

Post by wendy »

)t'
http://www.busheyk9.co.uk

If you can't be a good example........
you will just have to be a horrible warning
natekerillb
Learner Laner

Post by natekerillb »

It's such a huge waste of food. :( With some parts of the world starving, this is devastating to see.