Christmas frugality ??

Thrifty tips, ideas, news & experiences on anything around the home to shopping to re-cycling etc.
Scrambled
Lively Laner

Re: Christmas frugality ??

Post by Scrambled »

I'm being a lot more careful this year and really shopping around, checking out shops like Bee and eM. I hate the commerciality of it all, I really do - but then I also do love giving little gifts to close family, things they really will appreciate and use. The bit I really object to is buying presents for relatives (in-laws) who we see once a year and with whom we seem to exchange the same unwanted stuff every year. Trouble is, although I'd happily put a stop to it, my other half doesn't feel able to say anything about it to his family :?

I don't think I'm being particularly frugal with food this year, just more considered - so I'm hoping that we'll notice some money saved there. Biggest expense is looking like the Christmas tree, which I think will end up being a real one )x1( I'd happily just have the tree and forego all the other twaddle.

Christmas tree, Christmas Eve, Carols from Kings - that's the best hour or so of Christmas for me every year )x3(

This year though I think I'm going to head to Sains an hour before closing on Christmas Eve, a la Richard - see if we can bag some bargains )t'
Maggie1

Post by Maggie1 »

What makes me really cross is how they all of a sudden cut prices. Our daughter went out and bought 2 dresses for her daughters 19 and 22. The oldest daughter bought the same dresses next day for £10 each cheaper. So my daughter took hers back and got her money back so that saved her £20. If they can afford to cut prices like that why can't they sell them at those prices in the first place.
Scrambled
Lively Laner

Post by Scrambled »

Even as early as now, Maggie! I tend to avoid Sains nowadays, unless I need something that I can't get at A..i, but had to pop in last night - would you believe that all the Christmas decorations, cards, wrap and general detritus is already reduced by at least a third and most by a half!! All those people who were buying this stuff a couple of days ago will be fuming.
Maggie1

Post by Maggie1 »

My son 3 weeks ago bought his cards reduced in As.a. Just shows you how over the top all this Christmas buying is.
silverback
Legendary Laner

Post by silverback »

You all know how frugal I am on decorations! )grin2( .
However, what we did this year was for all of the family to write a list of what they wanted for presents, then the lists were put into a hat and we each picked out one list each, then you only have to buy for one person!, we also set a limited budget )t'

I drew Jan!! yike* )gr:
I am old and wise, because I was young and stupid!.
perchy

Post by perchy »

That is a really good idea, did you check they didn't all have Jan on? {rofwl}

Your Decs are gorgeous, when will see some pics? {hug&kiss} )x2( )x1( )x5(
silverback
Legendary Laner

Post by silverback »

Perchy, I did suspect that Jan had put her name on all the lists! :? {rofwl}

Will post some more piccies of the decs soon! )t' )x3(
I am old and wise, because I was young and stupid!.
perchy

Post by perchy »

silverback wrote:Perchy, I did suspect that Jan had put her name on all the lists! :? {rofwl}

Will post some more piccies of the decs soon! )t' )x3(

)t'
bmpsands
Legendary Laner

Post by bmpsands »

We have an old artificial tree, have kept a real tree going in a tub in the garden for 3 years and the only decorations I've bought were some silver glittery things that cost £3 for 6 in France.

I've been saving up for Christmas throughout the year and now realise that I've been wasting my time. I've got so many savings stamps on my Morris&sons and T£sco cards that I cannot possibly spend them all on Christmas. You get the bonus payment if you spend them in December so I'm planning a shop of non-perishable items in the next few days.
Bea; 19 hens (most of whom I intended to get); 6 bantams (which I never intended to have); old Benji dog and young Toby dog (who I definitely wanted). Three years into country living and loving it.
Scrambled
Lively Laner

Post by Scrambled »

bmpsands wrote:I've been saving up for Christmas throughout the year and now realise that I've been wasting my time. I've got so many savings stamps on my Morris&sons and T£sco cards that I cannot possibly spend them all on Christmas. You get the bonus payment if you spend them in December so I'm planning a shop of non-perishable items in the next few days.

Good idea. You could always perhaps use some of them to buy reduced Christmas things (crackers, cards, wrapping paper) ready for Christmas next year too )x2(
Stef
Legendary Laner

Post by Stef »

We've bah humbugged for years. No pressies except my nephew - he gets £50 towards a piece of kit or software for his degree course. That's his combined birthday and crismas pressie.

We don't exchange pressies but we do make a list of the unnecessaries we have considered over the year. Then in the sales we go out and buy last year's version as cheaply as possible. This year a knife to replace the veggie knife that must have gone in the bin, a new knife sharpener and maybe a DVD player.

Food has been minimised, Aldidled, and thought through properly.

And today we go out to a Framer's Market, we may not buy but we are prepared for our one extravagant shop... though just how expensive can it be at a Farmers market!!!

I'll let you know :-D
1 dumbo rat still without a name; 2 top eared rats Octavia and Ursula
1 Rhode Rock, 1 Sussex Star, 1 Blue Ranger - The New Monochrome Set

My crafty blog, it's Frugal too http://relovedremnants.blogspot.co.uk/
Richard
Lord Lane of Down...... Site Owner

Post by Richard »

Hi,

It's nice to read about people's savings, how they go about it but best of all, still coming out on top with no loss of good heart.

One Christmas I got together my Genealogy stuff, memorabilia, photographed the whole lot and put it all on a CD which I gave each member of the family.
Also did a Family Tree, bought some old cheapie pictures from the Charity Shop and framed it for immediate family.

It's the extras which add up though, wrapping paper, gift cards, twine and so on. If you're doing say 12 presents, that could cost another tenner on top.
It's the pennies which make the pounds thing isn't it.

I don't think it's humbugging if you aren't a person of big means, it's common sense.

Spend what you have and not what you haven't. If people went down that route, life for many would be a lot better but too many are drawn in by Credit, Loans and everything else to make you owe money and not save it.

The main thing is to be a good person, a person of good heart with a generous spirit.

Richard )x(
New Member? Get more from the Forum and join in 'Members Chat' - you're very welcome
Maggie1

Post by Maggie1 »

You missed out on the cards Richard. You may be able to get cheap cards. They have got lovely ones in the 99p shop, but it costs nearly that to post it especially if they are oversized. Luckily we don't have that stupidity here. All cards big or small go for the same size. We also don't have that nonsense of not enough postage and have to go to the sorting office and pay 99p excess charge.
Spreckly
Legendary Laner

Post by Spreckly »

What a great thread! Where do I start? I love some of your ideas and tips.

I save wrapping paper from our pressies, and the bag things which seem so popular, and recycle both items. Our decorations are ancient, though last year I did splash out and buy a couple of beaded baubles, made by a friend in the village.

We don't send Christmas cards any more. The postage would be more than we could spare. We do give cards to relatives, and even so, they are fairly numerous, with cousins living away.

OH doesn't buy any presents nowadays, apart from for me )t' He does however benefit from the generosity of my three sons, but I buy for them. One son is getting three flower tubs filled with bulbs and pansies. One son is getting some money towards his wedding next year. One son is getting shelves for his airing cupboard. Daughters in law, partners, fiancees etc are included in this generosity!! All three are getting a comb bound account of my years in the NHS. Great grandchildren are getting money, and same for one grandson at uni. Grandson with the baby is getting kitchen scales - I bought him a recipe book for his recent birthday, and he has started using it. Two grandsons are getting books from The W....ks (three for £10).

Two years since we bought each other a car tyre, and last year we went halves with one. This year I am receiving a DVD, and OH is receiving a book and a box of chocolate gingers. What was spare even two years since has been soaked up this year in everyday items.
Richard
Lord Lane of Down...... Site Owner

Post by Richard »

Hi

Wise words Maggie and Spreckers.

With the exception of my brothers and sisters (I have no Aunts and Uncles) I tell everyone not to send me cards.
When I was a Manager on the Railway one year I got over 100 Cards and it puts you in a difficult situation.

Funny thing was when Connex (the Rail Operator at that time) sent all Staff the same card. The next day there were over 200 of them hanging up in the Staff Room, or PNB Point as it's called.

Richard )t' )t'
New Member? Get more from the Forum and join in 'Members Chat' - you're very welcome