Gas and Electric tariffs

Thrifty tips, ideas, news & experiences on anything around the home to shopping to re-cycling etc.
perchy

Gas and Electric tariffs

Post by perchy »

I have just had my Gas and Electric bill from ennpower, my direct debit has gone from £106 to 166 a month yike* my goodness its easy ish to find £10 but £60 {cry} just wondering if anyone else has recently had their bills? not necessarily from this provider.
We are really frugal with the gas and electric and have to admit have felt cold at times, I have no idea how we are supposed to be any more careful.

Merry Christmas Nnnnpower................................................not
Stef
Legendary Laner

Re: Gas and Electric tariffs

Post by Stef »

Yes! Our electricity went from £30 to £52... just the 2 of us and the heating is oil fired. So I have no idea how they worked that one out... I will be meter reading regularly and we will be thinking about it all the time now!
1 dumbo rat still without a name; 2 top eared rats Octavia and Ursula
1 Rhode Rock, 1 Sussex Star, 1 Blue Ranger - The New Monochrome Set

My crafty blog, it's Frugal too http://relovedremnants.blogspot.co.uk/
Meanqueen
Legendary Laner

Post by Meanqueen »

I have recently paid my quarterly bill with Brit Gas, £60.81 for both. I won't do direct debit as I don't like the idea that they can take what they want out of your account, and if they take too much it is a pain trying to get a refund.

Up to now there have been no standing charges with Brit Gas, but they have just brought it in, 25p a day for gas, 25p for electricity. This is going to bump my bill up big time, so I am changing to Ebico, no standing charges, no extra for paying quarterley, and the tariffs are a lot easier to understand. The web site is easy to navigate, no complicated jargon, and they are a not for profit organisation. I did a comparrison on there, and the prices seem pretty competitive. For a low user, that's what I want. Waiting for the paperwork to go through now.
Ilona
perchy

Post by perchy »

I have had a look on moneysaving sites and apparently there is alot going on, our provider is supposed to be good with long term fixed and short term, will still check out some others. Sounds good Meanqueen )t'

Steff yike* they are all at it
Meanqueen
Legendary Laner

Post by Meanqueen »

I haven't changed for a long time, it's the standing charge that has done it for me. Fixed or not fixed, this deal or that deal, it is all so confusing. You can swap about to try and keep one step ahead, but it is a lot of hassle, and I am not particularly good with numbers. I'll see how Ebico perform in the next few months, and stick with it if it's ok.
Ilona
Gwenoakes
Legendary Laner

Post by Gwenoakes »

I am with EDF Energy and mine went down from £90 per month to £71 per month last Dec 2012 and upto July this year I was £79.94 in credit. The monthly DD is still the same.

Three of us live in a large detached farmhouse with no wall insulation, live out in the sticks, use oil for the central heating, have mains electric all round the horse paddocks. We went on their 20/20 about a couple of years ago. This means that after 9p.m. up till 7a.m. the following morning you have 20% off the price of electric. It is also 20% cheaper all of the weekend, so from Fri night at 9p.m. up till Mond morning 7a.m. anything I use I get 20% off. I do all my washing, drying if needed, hoovering, power washing/hoovering the car, cutting the cardboard for the horses bedding, ironing and the majority of cooking during these times. It can be a pain in the butt, but has worked out cheaper for us.

In fact youngest daughter tried to find us something cheaper some months ago and there wasnt anything out there.

That does seem an enormous leap though, Perchy. If I was you I would be checking that out and quickly.

Meanqueen, I have never heard of Ebico before.

Just to add, each time I have had a bill I have nearly always used more units at the cheaper rates than at the higher rate.
Last edited by Gwenoakes on 15 Dec 2013, 15:10, edited 1 time in total.
perchy

Post by perchy »

Wow Gwenoaks that sounds fab as to be honest with both working it would be ideal to do the majority of everything at the weekend, I am going to check it out ~ Thank you
Meanqueen
Legendary Laner

Post by Meanqueen »

Sounds like that's a good deal for you, Gwenoaks, if you can get organised. A bit like the old phone tariffs, don't make calls in the daytime, save them all up and make them in the evening or weekends. I try not to make any calls before 7pm, after that they are included in the price I pay.
Ilona
PS, I've been reading up on the Money Saving Expert energy forum, there was talk of Ebico on there.
Spreckly
Legendary Laner

Post by Spreckly »

Interesting thread. I am leaving this on for OH to look at.
Mercedes
Legendary Laner

Post by Mercedes »

We are with NPower. Our monthly DD was £62 and it's gone up to £168 >dowhat< >dowhat< >dowhat<
Lyn
Legendary Laner

Post by Spreckly »

We've done a bit of shopping around. Our bill is for electric only, no gas in the village, so we have oil central heating, which we use in a most miserly fashion, and an open fire in the living room, which is a great asset.

We are with en p.w..r. Our monthly DD on a fixed tariff until 2015 is £40. It had gone up earlier in the year to £59, but we have recently had a refund of £79.95.

We have been on the EB.C. website, and with them we would be paying £68.96 for 400 kwh.

Whereas with en p.w.r, we would be paying £43.20 for 400 kwh. Think we will stay with them until the fixed price tariff changes.
Richard
Lord Lane of Down...... Site Owner

Post by Richard »

Good to get a refund Spreckers.

I'm a bit annoyed. Last week my Supplier sent me a letter saying they need to get the Bill right and asked me to do a reading (I'm Direct Debit)
The following day I noticed they'd taken £189 out my Bank Account - so why ask me to do a reading for them to get it right - that was from their estimated reading !!

They're ringing me back )t'

(apparently :-D )

Richard
New Member? Get more from the Forum and join in 'Members Chat' - you're very welcome
Gwenoakes
Legendary Laner

Post by Gwenoakes »

I always understood that they had to give you notification in writing if they were to take a different amount to what was agreed in the first instance. In fact I am sure it works like that and they have to give you something like 14 days notice so that you have time to look elsewhere/argue over it.

Check it out, Richard. I hope they do ring you back.

Also all utility companies have a pocket of money if they get things wrong, wont bore you with how I found out, but they dont give unless you actually ask for it, so remember that one too. Make a case for worry/stress/telephone charges and most of all your time in sorting it out. I did and got some back off two companies at the same time. It wasnt a huge amount, but better in my pocket than theirs. )t'
Stef
Legendary Laner

Post by Stef »

Insult to injury and salt to a wound..... they have just corrected themselves.... not £52 but £55 per month!

But when I divide their estimate of our yearly usage, based on actual readings, I get £46 per month!!!

Mmmmm! What will I spend the refund on? I shall make a point of asking for it, but will probably leave the price hike.... show them they were wrong and get at least one way flight to Spain accidentally saved up for [:)]
1 dumbo rat still without a name; 2 top eared rats Octavia and Ursula
1 Rhode Rock, 1 Sussex Star, 1 Blue Ranger - The New Monochrome Set

My crafty blog, it's Frugal too http://relovedremnants.blogspot.co.uk/
Totally Scrambled
Site Admin

Post by Totally Scrambled »

Meanqueen wrote:
Up to now there have been no standing charges with Brit Gas, but they have just brought it in, 25p a day for gas, 25p for electricity.
Ilona

Just been looking at ours, we're with BG. BG have always had standing charges applied quarterly which I worked out as being 24.77P a day, so an increase to .25p a day is an increase but a small one.
Looked at Ebico and for us it would cost more on their tariff as the unit price for gas is higher, which even though they don't have a standing charge, would cost us more overall. About £5 a month more.
Dom
Ali Woks My World