Christmas frugality ??

Thrifty tips, ideas, news & experiences on anything around the home to shopping to re-cycling etc.
Richard
Lord Lane of Down...... Site Owner

Re: Christmas frugality ??

Post by Richard »

Sounds good tosca !

Don't know if it's the same everywhere but the Holly Trees around here have loads of Berries this year (sign of a bad winter?).

Certainly more festive looking than previous years.

Richard )x3(
New Member? Get more from the Forum and join in 'Members Chat' - you're very welcome
Stef
Legendary Laner

Post by Stef »

Good info Mo. You are right, tins only!

But I have an in :-D I have run a couple of baking classes with some single dads and will be giving them the cakes. If I am lucky and get an overnight borrow of a catering unit I'll invite them to do the making too! I have my eye on next Monday..... I think I can get in at about 4pm, so we can make tea for everyone and bake too!

Also, I have just been given another box from work, it's my Secret Santa gift. I dropped a hint about needing everyone's almost out of date baking stuff for my baking classes. Most of it was probably bought at the weekend just to be donated. )t'

We may branch out into a Sewing Bee next year.... maybe!
1 dumbo rat still without a name; 2 top eared rats Octavia and Ursula
1 Rhode Rock, 1 Sussex Star, 1 Blue Ranger - The New Monochrome Set

My crafty blog, it's Frugal too http://relovedremnants.blogspot.co.uk/
tosca100
Lively Laner

Post by tosca100 »

We have had a small change of plan for our seasonal meal. OH was going to have belly pork, which is in the freezer. But he had to go out and called in at the supermarket where they are already reducing stuff, and got a whole frozen duck for 8 lev, which is just over three quid. So that's him sorted, and a friend gave us a load of frozen cherries as she couldn't fit all the meat she had bought in her freezer. Sorted.

My nut roast made from our own walnuts and some whole chestnuts I bought on offer a couple of years ago is made and ready.

The only presents we are giving are some cake forks (Tesco last year) and a rechargeable torch for our diamond BG neighbours and I have made a load of shortbread to decorate for the other neighbours who helped keep us in veg and fruit last year.
Because my memory is not brilliant......http://debrazzaman.blogspot.com/
Mo
Legendary Laner

Post by Mo »

tosca100 wrote:My nut roast made from our own walnuts and some whole chestnuts I bought on offer a couple of years ago is made and ready.

Did you take a freezer-full of food with you, or preserve the chestnuts some other way?

Enjoy your festive fare.

Our eating plans have changed too - I had a Gammon joint in the freezer for Christmas Eve (+ cold meat for salads & sandwiches). When I transfered stuff to the new freezer last night that was still well frozen but the bacon chops I put in on on Friday hadn't frozen properly so it's bacon today. But we've had our Christmas meal really - Family Solstice on Sat. So the rest is just for us (and maybe a few lunches for daughter between things she's going to over here)

Since we could afford to eat anything we wanted all year round I can't raise as much enthusiasm for special Christmas food.
Dance caller. http://mo-dance-caller.blogspot.co.uk/p/what-i-do.html
Sunny Clucker enjoyed Folk music and song in mid-Cheshire
Gwenoakes
Legendary Laner

Post by Gwenoakes »

Last year my present from our daughters was for them to 'bottom' clean the whole house. I thought it was fantastic, not sure they were so pleased though. LOL

This year I was being quite frugal buying pressies early that were on offer for Grandaughter aged 7. She was really into 1D (One Direction), so bought small things like lunch box, toothebrush, etc etc with them on.

She now doesnt like them that much!! yike* I cant send/take them back, so have had to buy other things that she does like, so me trying to buy early and frugally has come back to bite me on the btm this year. But.........lesson learnt........I will never, ever do that again.

I have listened more to daughters this year about what they would like, not necessarily for Xmas, but what they would like generally and have based presents on this info. Terry has had a jumper for his birthday which is 19th Dec and will have a jumper for Xmas too......because he needs them, plus I got them at a good price on line from Burtons. )t'

I would like the house cleaning again, but dont think that will happen. Maybe another year, eh? LOL
albertajune
Legendary Laner

Post by albertajune »

We tried a very frugal Christmas last year and to be honest it didn't seem like Christmas.
We have a 6ft artificial tree that comes out each year along with mainly the same tree decorations. After Christmas I usually buy a couple of new one in the sales. The Christmas records are going all day to give it that festive feel. Most as freebies from past newspapers .There will be me and OH and my sister for dinner as no family live near for either of us. I cook the meal which is turkey and all the trimmings, mostly bought from special offers and frozen, ie the ham was bought when 1/2 price. All is home made which does take a bit of time but keeps the price right down. I love making my own mincemeat, stuffings and sauces as this gives the meal a bit of individuality. )x6(

After dinner we light the candles, take our coffee, home made liqueur and truffles to our chairs around the log fire and open our one inexpensive present to each other. OH usually buys us each a lottery scratch card which gives a bit of excitement, especially as last year I won £40. I have made my sister a pretty box to keep her receipts in, as she never has them when wanted. OH has a book for making wooden knick knacks. Things that I like but can't make.

The scrabble is out if wanted and a not done before jigsaw from the charity shop is set up permanently on a little table in case boredom sets in. Just hope none is missing )t' .

One good bit for me is that because I always shop at Mor..sons, their promotion gave me a £40 voucher, so my last shop on Saturday only cost me £7 :-D

This year does feel more Christmassy, despite the howling gales going on around our home. )x5(
I am now a widow and live with my memories.
TasmanianMinimalist
Learner Laner

Post by TasmanianMinimalist »

Christmas went from a time of anxiety and disengagement to a time of buying one present for my daughter and making a salad for a pot luck family get together, no one should be stuck with hard work and expense. My ten year old had no problems with minimising, we had seasonal fun by going to a couple of free events. Now it's practically a non event.
I would love to have you visit me at http://tasmanianminimalist.blogspot.com