Celeriac

Gardening to 'grow your own food' from square foot to half an acre !!
davina112
Legendary Laner

Celeriac

Post by davina112 »

Hi guys
Does anyone know anything about the growing time of this veg.
It is in the Polly tunnel and looks very green and healthy on the tops, but there is nothing below ground. By my reckoning it should be ready to harvest now. Should I leave it and see if it grows anymore, or should I just get rid of it and start preparing for spring growing in the tunnel >shrug<
[center][/center]Davina
Mallard
Legendary Laner

Re: Celeriac

Post by Mallard »

I tried celeriac two years running, different varieties, with the same results as you.
I had the same results with swede, in fact it turns out no one on our allotments have ever been very successful with either. There has to be something lacking in the soil? >veg<
I can grow amazing carrots though! >veg1<
I'd like to live as a poor man with lots of money.
- Pablo Picasso
davina112
Legendary Laner

Post by davina112 »

Thanks Mallard, I gave a friend some of the seedlings, she hasn't had any success either. I shall look into it more, as I don't like to be best }hairout{
[center][/center]Davina
Mallard
Legendary Laner

Post by Mallard »

According to this-
http://www.growveg.com/growblogpost.aspx?id=293
perhaps we're too impatient! :-D
I'd like to live as a poor man with lots of money.
- Pablo Picasso
lancashire lass
Legendary Laner

Post by lancashire lass »

a couple of tips when growing celeriac:

- it has a long growing period and needs to be sowed very early (such as mid-March)
- after germination, keep the temperature above 15oC otherwise a dip in temperature can trigger the plants to bolt early
- it needs good fertile soil so digging in compost or manure in the final bed is recommended and/or use a general fertiliser. You could even given weekly/fortnightly liquid feed throughout summer (a tomato fertiliser would be fine)
- when risk of frost is passed (unless in a polytunnel), acclimatise before planting out in full sun. Covering with a cloche or fleece will not only keep the ground warm but also help to retain moisture
- ensure you plant at the same soil level as before, or even slightly above it (that is, avoid planting it too deep)
- keep well watered - don't ever let the soil dry out. Celeriac doesn't tolerate heat too well so if temperatures rise, provide extra ventilation (if in a polytunnel) or provide some shade if out in the open
- in late summer and up until ready to harvest, start to take off the outer leaves as they droop down and this should encourage the stem to swell up (it is the stem/crown rather than an actual bulb underground which is harvested)

PS: slugs can be a problem and I've lost crops where the slug has burrowed up from the root ball and done damage, then woodlice move in to finish the job off }hairout{
Clucky Carol
Lively Laner

Post by Clucky Carol »

Hi Davina, I have never had success with celeriac, but am planning to try again next year so the hints from Lancashire lass are really welcome. I have a lovely recipe for a veggie pie which uses celeriac and I love it ... So here's hoping!
Look forward to hearing more.
Clucky Carol +f+
Clucky Carol
Lively Laner

Post by Clucky Carol »

I tried celeriac last summer, still eating them, had a bumper crop ... So really pleased with outcome .... What shall we try this year? )app(