Has anyone resprayed a towel rail?

Share projects, share problems, share tips amongst each other.
Scrambled
Lively Laner

Has anyone resprayed a towel rail?

Post by Scrambled »

We've got a chrome plated (effect, I think) towel radiator in the bathroom which was here when we moved it. It works very well, but the chrome effect stuff is deteriorating and now starting corrode and drop off. I don't want it to mark our towels.

I'm wondering whether we could remove the silver stuff and paint the radiator instead - I know you can get radiator paints, but if anyone has any advice re the removal of the original finish I'd be grateful.
silverback
Legendary Laner

Re: Has anyone resprayed a towel rail?

Post by silverback »

Like most things that require re-painting preparation is key!, sanding down the surface and removing any loose segments and traces of rust, sanding will also give it a key which allows the primer/paint to adhere to it!.
Use a good quality primer and radiator paint, this link I found on the internet it's just an
example of whats out there, good luck )t'

http://www.rustoleumspraypaint.com/prod ... or-enamel/
I am old and wise, because I was young and stupid!.
chookmike
Longlasting Laner

Post by chookmike »

Make sure the rail is cold throughout the process too - the fumes would be awful and the paint would dry far too quickly. It will still smell horrible when you turn it back on - leave until spring?
Scrambled
Lively Laner

Post by Scrambled »

Thanks, both )t' . It's occurred to me that shot blasting might be a way to get rid of the chrome - don't know if that would damage the thing or not.
chookmike
Longlasting Laner

Post by chookmike »

I hope I'm right in assuming this is a rail on the central heating system?

Surely you wouldn't shot blast it on site?

Removing it is a pain and if the valves leak you are in trouble - get a couple of 'stop-ends' from the merchant if you do that.

Probably much cheaper to replace it rather than that hassle.

..or just get really big towels to cover it :-D

Cheers
Scrambled
Lively Laner

Post by Scrambled »

chookmike wrote:Surely you wouldn't shot blast it on site?

{rofwl} No - we know a bloke wot does this, at a local garage, so if anything we'd take it there. But given that the minor tarting up of the bathroom has now evolved into replacing the entire suite, flooring etc etc I think I'll opt for hiding it with a big towel.

For now.

:-D
Gwenoakes
Legendary Laner

Post by Gwenoakes »

We had an old radiator that had been painted that was starting to rust.

I cleaned it off with an ordinary scourer, you know the ones with a sponge one side and a scourer the other, with WD 40, got rid of all the rust, then cleaned it off really well with soapy water, you must do this or when you paint it the paint will just slide off and it worked very well and to date, no rust and radiator still looks good.

Think I got the tip off Super Scrimpers on TV.

Cant see why this shouldnt work for a chrome one, but just do a little tester somewhere where it cant be seen so easily first, just in case.
Scrambled
Lively Laner

Post by Scrambled »

Thanks, Gwenoakes :-D )t'