Hens and ducks desperately need a forever home

Ex-Battery Rescue Info, Other hens needing homes & Hens wanted
greenigloo
Lively Laner

Hens and ducks desperately need a forever home

Post by greenigloo »

I am so upset to have to ask this, but we are desperately looking for a home for our 15 lovely girls, 12 chooks and 3 ducks. The weather conditions have rendered the whole of our garden into a quagmire and, despite trying everything to keep the chicken run dry, the weather has finally beaten us. We can't bear to see them paddling through such smelly, boggy conditions, even though it will break our hearts to let them go.

If anyone can offer a permanent loving home to our girls, where they can live out their lives happily, we will be forever grateful. We live in Newark so somewhere fairly nearby would be good so the girls don't stress out from a long journey.

So sad to be writing this .........

Jeannette, Colin, Alannah, Osgur, Roja and our beautiful girls xxx

kitla
Legendary Laner

Re: Hens and ducks desperately need a forever home

Post by kitla »

I've occasionally seen adverts on preloved from newly set up smallholders looking
for chickens & ducks, I had a quick look for you & spotted this
http://www.preloved.co.uk/adverts/show/ ... ducks.html" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
They are in Newark, maybe worth checking out. There are some others on there too
but a bit further away. I wish I could help but my garden is full up.
"He who is cruel to animals becomes hard also in his dealings with men. We can judge the heart of a man by his treatment of animals."
--Immanuel Kant
greenigloo
Lively Laner

Post by greenigloo »

Hi Kitla

Thanks for that. I will certainly check out the link. My only concern is that the girls will end up as Sunday lunch but it is worth looking at ....

Still unhappy about having to let our girls go, but can't bear to see them living in the mud. Hopefully will be able to have chooks and ducks again when we can move to somewhere without clay soil!! :-D

Jeannette
kitla
Legendary Laner

Post by kitla »

I wonder if there may be some other ways to provide your chooks with dry ground,
I've seen setups with pallets in half the run, perhaps a slightly raised area filled with
gravel. Is the run covered? clear tarps & bungees can make a big difference. I've
put some concrete stepping stones outside the run where I walk to stop the mud
getting too awful. (I think we make more mess than the chickens stomping around
in our wellies!) Perhaps if you posted a photo of your setup you may get some
good ideas from other laners - before you give up.
"He who is cruel to animals becomes hard also in his dealings with men. We can judge the heart of a man by his treatment of animals."
--Immanuel Kant
jackian
Legendary Laner

Post by jackian »

kitla wrote: Perhaps if you posted a photo of your setup you may get some
good ideas from other laners - before you give up.

I agree ..I was thinking of writing something similar but Kitla beat me to it .
We don't know your set up or space but it sounds as if you really love them and don't want to let them go .
The weather has been terrible but maybe something could be done.
Jackiex
4 lovely girls~~ Clover, the oldie and top chick Bonnie second in command .new girls Bluebell and Blossom.
2 lovely new girls 19-01-2015~~ Chelsea and Ruby.
Eva , Florry , Poppy ,Annie and Rosie R.I.P
The key to everything is patience. You get the chicken by hatching the egg, not by smashing it.” - unknown
aceface
Legendary Laner

Post by aceface »

hi green igloo I have pmd u I may well be able to help xx )t'

should you wonder whether im genuine or not I am totally committed to finding little girls homes, myself and big al have enough space to let little girls and their ducky cousins live with us although not many go to new homes we have quite a tendency to keep them ourselves LOL {rofwl}

our coops somehow have elastic sides >dum<
[center]HELPING THE LITTLE BROWN GIRLS OF THIS WORLD FIND FOREVER HOMES
Humble chicken maid to a happy little flock
Frankii Whippers leading the way with Dorey,Prila(aka Mrs Brown),Ann-a-Lou Greta, Delphine my adorable silkie,my twin girls Lana and Boudica (aka The Jedward Twins ) ,Augustine Eizabeth(aka Pippy), Rheima, Marnie and Fleur aka little miss chatterbox[/center]

Still loving and missing Skinnie Minnie and Queenie xx

Marlene you taught me how to live and laugh again xx

Isabella my darling top hen ,you stole my heart xx

Porscha my sweet little girl ,you left so suddenly xx
greenigloo
Lively Laner

Post by greenigloo »

We have now found a home for all our girls. A lovely lady who I work with has offered to have them which means we will be able to see them whenever we want so it won't be like losing them totally.

Thank you all for your suggestions on how to make their run better. We have tried lots of the ideas but the combination of heavy rain and clay soil got the better of us. It won't stop us having chickens in the future though as long as we don't have a garden with clay soil :-D

A special thank you to Cathy for offering to take all our girls. Your kindness means so much!

Jeannette, Colin, Alannah, Osgur, Roja and our beautiful chickens and ducks xxxx
kitla
Legendary Laner

Post by kitla »

That's good news for you, a huge relief I'm sure!
--Immanuel Kant