freezing supermarket meat.

Recipes, Cooking tips and maybe some 'Home Made' secrets !
mrs boodles
Legendary Laner

freezing supermarket meat.

Post by mrs boodles »

On the backs of supermarket packets of chilled meats it says that if you freeze it, to use within one month. Please can anyone tell me if ok to use if kept a longer period in freezer. I have a packet of pork mince that I bought on the run out date a couple of months ago and ditto some brisket and am loathe to throw it out if ok to use.
Thanks for any advice
AL37
Admin Moderator

Re: freezing supermarket meat.

Post by AL37 »

Hi mrs boodles,
I would defrost it and have a good smell of it. We have had various foods from the freezer that have past their sell/use by dates.
I think the pork may be easier than the beef to check with your nose because fresh and slightly off pork smell very different. The brisket may be a bit more difficult.
Good luck. )t'
[center]Relax, I could have been a twin.[/center]
HedgeHugger
Legendary Laner

Post by HedgeHugger »

I would give it a visual check for frostbite. If it has a little I would still use it personally, but that is me. If it's very damaged, then it's your call.
You just need to remember that if it was close to it's sell/use by date when frozen, it will still be in a similar condition. So use it asap, once its defrosted.

While you shouldn't refreeze meat once defrosted. It is ok to freeze it again,once cooked.
tosca100
Lively Laner

Post by tosca100 »

Two reasons why they say use asap, the meat has already been in storage/on the shelf at the supermarket for a week by the sell by date, and also the texture can change on freezing, especially if frozen for a long time, so though it can't go off in the freezer, it might be tougher, not as tasty or watery when defrosted. They want you to go back for more, not be disappointed by tough meat.
Because my memory is not brilliant......http://debrazzaman.blogspot.com/
Mad Chick

Post by Mad Chick »

I swear some of the meat in our freezer has been in there so long it's now fossilised )grin2(

I tend to use it in casseroles and stews where it can cook slowly )t'
Lucy x

Always do sober what you said you'd do drunk. That will teach you to keep your mouth shut - Ernest Hemingway
wendy

Post by wendy »

It gets frozen as well bring it home and like Lucy ours has been there years sometimes.
Defrost and eat it with no problems.

In fact the other week we found 6 packets of ground coffee with the use by date of 1987.
Granted it was vacuum packed. But we are drinking it now. Older than my grand children
http://www.busheyk9.co.uk

If you can't be a good example........
you will just have to be a horrible warning
Maggie1

Post by Maggie1 »

I agree with Mad Chick and Wendy. We have stuff in our freezer that is years old. So long as its not been refrozen and used as soon as it thaws out you'll be OK. We've been doing it for years and no harm has come to us. Even bacon which they also say don't keep for over a month.
If they can use food that was frozen with the Shackleton Expedition and that was OK to eat so will your frozen stuff be OK.