I'm so tight I...........

Thrifty tips, ideas, news & experiences on anything around the home to shopping to re-cycling etc.
albertajune
Legendary Laner

Re: I'm so tight I...........

Post by albertajune »

I would say that in general I am very careful but very tight when it comes to using up left over food. I can't throw anything out unless it's been left on a plate. Even the ends of the loaf go into the freezer as bread crumbs and any veg left goes into making soup or potato cakes, depending on what it is of course. It drives me mad when I read how much food people throw away.
I am now a widow and live with my memories.
Richard
Lord Lane of Down...... Site Owner

Post by Richard »

Too much indeed June.

I have to say I slipped a little today. I had a phone call whilst setting up the Rayburn and think I may have used 31 lumps of Taybrite rather than 30.

It's quite mild so tomorrow I'll do 29.

Richard :-D
New Member? Get more from the Forum and join in 'Members Chat' - you're very welcome
Meanqueen
Legendary Laner

Post by Meanqueen »

I'm so tight........well you know me, 2 for a pee and 3 for a poo, ha ha. Loo paper severely rationed in this house. Bring your own if you visit. :-D
Ilona
bmpsands
Legendary Laner

Post by bmpsands »

I found three bars of Imperial Leather when I cleared out Mum's flat last year. I don't know how long she'd had them, but they were hard as rocks and lasted for AGES!

Just wondered - is it tight that I took all the unused soap, bleach, polish etc from my dead mother's flat and used it up? It never occurred to me that it might be in bad taste until I wrote this little message.
Bea; 19 hens (most of whom I intended to get); 6 bantams (which I never intended to have); old Benji dog and young Toby dog (who I definitely wanted). Three years into country living and loving it.
perchy

Post by perchy »

I don't think it is in bad taste at all, am sure your Mum would have wanted you to have it rather than throw it away )t'
Spreckly
Legendary Laner

Post by Spreckly »

My sons used to joke about their Dad's frugality, saying that instead of lighting a candle, he lit a match. I have to say that his father died when he was nine, and his mother had to bring the younger ones up on her own during the war.

When my late husband's auntie died, and all the family appeared (!!!!), to clear the house out, he brought home a container of rice pudding, which she had made, and ATE IT!

I think I am tight, but apart from using up bits of soap in the bathroom (goodness knows what visitors think), I hadn't heard the candle economy trick.

I am having my hair done for a family wedding in March, and am already putting away my loose change (out of my fiver a week spending money), towards the cost.
Mo
Legendary Laner

Post by Mo »

Just had a brilliant idea.
Anyone know if toenails contain calcium? If so then hens can have my clippings in with their crushed eggshells.

Does that win the prize?
Oh, and what is the prize? 1 baked bean, knowing Richard, and then that would win the prize so I wouldn't get it after all
Dance caller. http://mo-dance-caller.blogspot.co.uk/p/what-i-do.html
Sunny Clucker enjoyed Folk music and song in mid-Cheshire
Clucky Carol
Lively Laner

Post by Clucky Carol »

I'm so tight I make my Hubby put all the dregs from his shower gel in one bottle, looks disgusting, but does the job, and we don't waste any at all!! {rofwl}
Richard
Lord Lane of Down...... Site Owner

Post by Richard »

Good for him Clucky, make it last.

Richard )t'
New Member? Get more from the Forum and join in 'Members Chat' - you're very welcome
Mo
Legendary Laner

Post by Mo »

I used to make 'jammy drinks' for the kids by swilling the jam jars out with water when there was too little there to scrape with a knife. Not sure there waas enough jam left to give it much flavour.
Milzy241
Lively Laner

Post by Milzy241 »

..............er I follow the "if its yellow let it mellow, if its brown flush it down" saying.

Im not sure if that's sensible or disgusting but the missis does it too so I don't feel too bad :-D
TasmanianMinimalist
Learner Laner

Post by TasmanianMinimalist »

Reuse my tea bags three times, seems to taste better, especially herbal tea.
I would love to have you visit me at http://tasmanianminimalist.blogspot.com
Mo
Legendary Laner

Post by Mo »

I only reuse teabags if I'm making tea for two, or having a refill.
But I only use tea bags in B&Bs, proper leaf tea in a teapot the rest of the time - do you really imagine I'd pay for paperbags, and put bleached paper into my drinks.
No idea if leaf-tea is frugal since I'm picky about brands, tea is a luxury and the cheap brands aren't worth bothering with.
elliebear15
Lively Laner

Post by elliebear15 »

Oh yes teabags ... my OH has just given up milk (yay!!! the rest of us are dairy free and he is finally coming on board!!!) and as a result is having his cups of tea black and very weak. So the teabag is dipped in and straight out again. When our friend was visiting at the weekend, I just put the (partly) used teabag in his mug. He works in the building trade and is used to tea thick and tarry, so I just left the teabag in to fester, and he never knew the difference :-D