CROWING HEN needing FOREVER HOME urgently please

Ex-Battery Rescue Info, Other hens needing homes & Hens wanted
Skeksis
Longlasting Laner

CROWING HEN needing FOREVER HOME urgently please

Post by Skeksis »

Hi all

I have a crowing hen who needs a home urgently and I am in Lincolnshire. She is my 'pet' hen, happy to sit on the lap for cuddles without bribery, docile, calm, sweet and huge. She was laying eggs but has stopped due to a hormone imbalance and will not lay again. She is quiet apart from clucking when she is frightened (obviously, as hens do) which is not often apart from a scary seagull overhead. This is apart from her crowing. She crows about six times in the morning and whilst it is clearly not a cockerel noise, it is getting pretty close and far too loud for my near neighbours whom I do NOT want to antagonise. She started crowing a week ago and on vet advice, will not stop. He advised on her next moult she will grow in 'cockerel' plumage also. She does not crow throughout the day it is just a few times but this needs to be taken into account.

Because this hen is a pet and the most friendly and loved hen in my flock, really, I do not want her to go to an allotment situation. I know hens here are well looked after but she would not do as well and would miss the attention and love. I work from home and see my hens often throughout the day and they are very sweet pets. I do hope that somebody can help me and my beautiful hen. She is a very large girl indeed and a pure breed. Please PM me if you can help.

For full disclosure - medical history. Earlier in the year I got this hen and others into my flock. I thought at the time that when I got them, two of these new hens had a long standing respiratory infection because their crops were very sour and they were coughing and not in great condition. I went through every kind of antibiotic, and whilst all of my other hens did not get this illness and remained in good health, I was worried about these two and thought I might lose them. I even thought it may be Mycoplasma. In September I had to bite the bullet and have the vet out to take crop and throat swab samples from six hens, three of my 'old flock' who had no signs of illness and three 'new hens' including the two showing illness. I wanted to be absolutely sure what was going on and that I did not have any transmissable infection or disease. All swabs were clear of both Mycoplasma and all the other respiratory infections but showed that my sick hens had a bad case of GAPEWORM and a depressed immune system. After an intensive worming course over four weeks, they are now fit and well and gaining weight really well. My run and ground have been disinfected and sanitised and all hens are well wormed. A dropping sample has been analysed in November to show that all hens are completely clear of worms and other illness and are in great health.

I say all this because I want any prospective new owner to know that my hen is in great health and will not be transmitting any infection into their flock (which longstanding forum members will know is a bugbear of mine).

sandy
Legendary Laner

Re: CROWING HEN needing FOREVER HOME urgently please

Post by sandy »

We know how well you look after your girls )t' I am just so sorry you have to rehome her, plus the fact even though I cant rehome any rescue girls at the moment due to my water situation I could've squeezed in one girl but we are so far away from one another {cry} I hope someone on here can come to your rescue.
The Pink Ladies..Audrey,Ingrid-Bergman,Madeleline,Norma-Jean,Dora,Janice,Jo,Robyn,Chrissy and Joyce
The Peds…Mork,Mindy,Bell,Saphire &
Vorky ,Blueped,Ginger,Ninger &Linky

Sunny Clucker was ere July 12-21 2012
Sunny Clucker was ere July 6 2016 to Sept 9th 2017
Sunny Clucker is here , rehomed Aug 18th 2018/
kitla
Legendary Laner

Post by kitla »

Skeksis what sort of hen is she? do you have a photo?
I have a hen that has phases of proper crowing several times a year, then it stops. Another that had an infection somewhere (never found out where) that we cleared up
but some weeks later she crowed a few times then it stopped & never happened again.
I'm telling you this incase your hen may be going through a passing phase due to
some internal problem that may right itself. Another thing that may be worth checking
is whether your neighbours really mind as much as you think - I was so surprised when the lady next door said she missed the crowing from the young cockerels I rehomed!
If you're really worried & cant find anywhere closer I might be able to squeeze her
in. The crowing isn't an issue, my coop is getting a bit full though - but hey ho...!
Mine are a mixed-sized bunch with a bantam cockerel, they roam the garden 99%
of the time, have a large, dry sheltered run with ensuite bath & kitchenette! eggs
welcome but not essential, cuddles compulsory.
Which end of Lincolnshire are you?
ps just reread your post, sorry didn't read it properly first time. So your hen wont
stop crowing, doesn't matter to me anyway.
"He who is cruel to animals becomes hard also in his dealings with men. We can judge the heart of a man by his treatment of animals."
--Immanuel Kant
Skeksis
Longlasting Laner

Post by Skeksis »

I have now found a loving, caring permanent home for my (not so) little hen. I am sure the adopted mother will be on here sometime soon letting us all know about it and a huge thank you to her {hug}
kitla
Legendary Laner

Post by kitla »

hi, sorry I didn't post sooner, I've had a busy day. I have adopted Skeksis
ginormous henny, but I still haven't told the husband -(I wonder how long it'll
take for him to notice a giant crowing hen) she is temporarily staying in with blind
Giblet's while her friend Pebbles is firmly broody somewhere else. Giblet looks
so tiny next to her but so far they are ok together
This one shows the size difference better!
I was thinking of naming her Henrietta - and Henry when she crows, but my son
thinks we should call her Tiny!
Today was settling in day so I didn't bother her too much, there was a bit of beak
bumping through the wire with the others, the little ones had to jump very high to
reach but they were the most determined, I suppose its especially important to them
that such a big girl knows her place!
Smidge the cockerel was smitten until he heard her crow this morning, he didn't
seem very pleased, but fingers crossed once he meets her properly he'll realise she's
not actually a Henry.
"He who is cruel to animals becomes hard also in his dealings with men. We can judge the heart of a man by his treatment of animals."
--Immanuel Kant
Mo
Legendary Laner

Post by Mo »

I like her colour.
Dance caller. http://mo-dance-caller.blogspot.co.uk/p/what-i-do.html
Sunny Clucker enjoyed Folk music and song in mid-Cheshire
lancashire lass
Legendary Laner

Post by lancashire lass »

she is a lovely hen - maybe she ought to be called Gulliver amongst the Lilliputians LOL
kitla
Legendary Laner

Post by kitla »

She already has a lovely name - Ariadne, but I find it a bit of a tongue twister & end
up calling her "Ari" which sounds almost like Harry anyway!
--Immanuel Kant
Mad Chick

Post by Mad Chick »

She's beautiful :-D
Lucy x

Always do sober what you said you'd do drunk. That will teach you to keep your mouth shut - Ernest Hemingway
aceface
Legendary Laner

Post by aceface »

@Ariadne is a beautiful hen and I know how much skeksis will miss her a happy ending for all concerned {hug}

good luck Ariadne in your new home ,you big beautiful girl )t'
[center]HELPING THE LITTLE BROWN GIRLS OF THIS WORLD FIND FOREVER HOMES
Humble chicken maid to a happy little flock
Frankii Whippers leading the way with Dorey,Prila(aka Mrs Brown),Ann-a-Lou Greta, Delphine my adorable silkie,my twin girls Lana and Boudica (aka The Jedward Twins ) ,Augustine Eizabeth(aka Pippy), Rheima, Marnie and Fleur aka little miss chatterbox[/center]

Still loving and missing Skinnie Minnie and Queenie xx

Marlene you taught me how to live and laugh again xx

Isabella my darling top hen ,you stole my heart xx

Porscha my sweet little girl ,you left so suddenly xx
sandy
Legendary Laner

Post by sandy »

Wow, Mrs Oliver is definetely one beautiful girl, maybe worth the travel! Thank goodness she has a lovely new home
The Pink Ladies..Audrey,Ingrid-Bergman,Madeleline,Norma-Jean,Dora,Janice,Jo,Robyn,Chrissy and Joyce
The Peds…Mork,Mindy,Bell,Saphire &
Vorky ,Blueped,Ginger,Ninger &Linky

Sunny Clucker was ere July 12-21 2012
Sunny Clucker was ere July 6 2016 to Sept 9th 2017
Sunny Clucker is here , rehomed Aug 18th 2018/
Richard
Lord Lane of Down...... Site Owner

Post by Richard »

Only just read this.

Happy endings )t' )t' )t'
New Member? Get more from the Forum and join in 'Members Chat' - you're very welcome