LL's Frugal 2014

Thrifty tips, ideas, news & experiences on anything around the home to shopping to re-cycling etc.
lancashire lass
Legendary Laner

LL's Frugal 2014

Post by lancashire lass »

I have good reasons to make 2014 a frugal one - like most people, with rising costs and stagnating salaries, my finances are very stretched - but recent expenses over and above usual have been a wake up call and a need to have a serious look at what I'm spending on, and whether my past frugal efforts have been worth it. In my case, there is a fine line between need and want, and some things I might put in the "essential" or "investment" category might be questionable {rofwl}

Anyway, in February 2016 one of my mortgages will mature. It was always a dream of mine to pay off the second mortgage at the same time and start to look at the future and possible early retirement (or at the very least, go part time) Of course, lots of things have happened since I moved to my house in 2002 - redundancy, taking on a job with a much lower salary, financial crisis and high unemployment so unable to find another job, rising living costs, retirement age shifted - I'm sure I'm not alone. Well, I had to give up my dreams and just get on with it. Until that is, I got a pleasant surprise ...

Just before Christmas I got a letter from my mortgage lender to say the deal I had arranged in 2008 was finishing, and there was offer of new deals. I could have gone with the variable interest rate ones, especially as the interest rates are so low, but I need to have fixed rates to be able to budget over long term as there isn't much leeway should there be an unexpected expense. When I telephoned to make enquiries, I had the surprise of my life - the amount I owed was significantly lower than expected! And it sort of rang a bell - I remember being asked if I would like my monthly payments to take into account the drop in what I owed, and at the time I told them to maintain the payments ... which means over the years I've actually been paying off some of the capital without knowing it )t' So my dream of paying off the mortgage early is (sort of) back on. The new deal means I have a little extra cash available but I do still have a nagging debt to pay off. So, my new year resolution is to tackle my finances at all angles and see if I can make some savings and get myself financially sorted. I've got a few things in mind which I hope to implement in 2014 >fi<
boosmummy
Longlasting Laner

Re: LL's Frugal 2014

Post by boosmummy »

Good luck all. Let us know how you get on x
photos of allotment & other nice things: http://pinterest.com/girlontheplot/

Follow my blog:
http://girlontheplot.blogspot.co.uk/

Just make sure my think works are wound extra tight, and I will formulate a plan!
Stef
Legendary Laner

Post by Stef »

At least you have a very specific date to aim for. That should make all the maths much easier to get your head round. I can lose hours working out all sorts of variations on what should be a simple calculation.

Good luck :-D
1 dumbo rat still without a name; 2 top eared rats Octavia and Ursula
1 Rhode Rock, 1 Sussex Star, 1 Blue Ranger - The New Monochrome Set

My crafty blog, it's Frugal too http://relovedremnants.blogspot.co.uk/
lancashire lass
Legendary Laner

{hug} thank you

One of the things I'm hoping to push for is a regrade at work and a pay increase. I got the job on a temporary contract because a job was better than no job after I was made redundant in 2005. My employer must have been rubbing their hands with glee - I had over 25 years experience and skilled in multiple disciplines, and they were taking on someone at junior salary. The following year my contract was made permanent which was a relief, and the year after I was shifted into another section with a view for a regrade due to the increased responsibilities. But it never happened {cry} I do a lot of stuff without any supervision from senior staff - finances, safety, training - and I'm still on the same grade that I started over 8 years ago. So one way or another, I'll be getting this sorted!
lancashire lass
Legendary Laner

I haven't done anything wonderfully frugal other than accept that I can't buy anything frivolous (not that I did before) but the new season seed catalogues are beckoning to me like Sirens. I even double checked my PayPal account to think about buying something off e-bay - nope, still only £3 in there just like the last time I looked and as to be expected. Being frugal is sooooooo depriving {rofwl}

Well, I have been giving my frugal plans some more thought and just wanted to jot a couple down - I might not do anything about them, or this post may just remind me where else to save money.

I pay a lot of stuff by direct debit and in the next 2 months, I won't be paying council tax or water rates so I can cream that money out of my account and can put it on one side. I've always done this, using some of the money to pay my allotment rent that is due but that is now taken care of with it being moved up to January instead of 1st April.

Water rates - I really do need to change to a meter as I know it will definitely be a saving. My one concern is that I grow a lot of stuff in the greenhouses and polytunnel, and if I worked out how many gallons I use for watering especially during a hot summer (I still have a fresh memory of carrying 2 watering cans back and forth at least 6 trips every day) sorry, but a waterbutt or two will just not be enough. I'll give that problem more thought ....

Vouchers and rewards - I WILL make better use of the ones I've got, as often those pennies do build up and as long as I can get to spend the vouchers on what I want and it costs me nothing, all part of the big plan.

TV package - I really do need to change to a basic package because I don't feel like I'm getting my money's worth anyway. The telephone and broadband package are sort of linked and to be fair are reasonable, but maybe I should have a look at the various packages available for something cheaper?

I'm sure I'll add to the list as I remember
lancashire lass
Legendary Laner

Well, I was almost frugal today - I nearly went to have a look at our local Lidl but, thinking cap on, I also wanted to call in at Wickes which was in the opposite direction, so decided to call in at Tescos on the way and reduce the mileage. I had my shopping list and a couple of vouchers and stuck to it )t' I did have a peek at the reduced shelves, but there's never anything inspiring when I look, and prices never seem reduced enough either. So today's shopping cost me (with a voucher less £1) £10.50p.

The almost bit is that I bought a roll of wire mesh for £26 which I could have done with not spending, but with the rat(s) in the chicken run not going away, I needed the mesh to lay on the floor to at least stop them getting into the coop run. So, in my "need" tally rather than want.

I looked at the petrol tank and that should last me a good week, so no need to fill up.

As regards having a look at tv, broadband & telephone bundles, the package I would like is not much cheaper than what I'm paying, or the other packages are not quite right. I'll have to keep looking and get my head round what's available.
lancashire lass
Legendary Laner

It's been a good and bad week so far LOL.

On the plus side, I had to submit gas and electricity readings and although there appeared to be an automatic adjustment on the website which suggested I had built up a good credit, I received my electricity bill today for confirmation and somehow I have managed to use half the electricity that I have used compared to last year. It makes sense really - as well as a mild winter (so far), since losing my dog I've had no need to keep the radiator on during the day (she was elderly and temperatures during a bitter cold spell would plummet) I've also been unplugging things a lot too and changing to low wattage bulbs. Last year my bills exceeded my direct debits so they were doubled to pay off what I owed but I've done a better job than anticipated )t' As a consequence, the direct debit payments have been lowered to £34 pm (a considerable drop) )c( Just awaiting the gas bill and seeing what that standing charge will be ...

I also did a lot more research into the tv, broadband & telephone bundles and my only other option is Virgin Media - the others require an aerial which (1) I had removed because (2) the reception was very poor due to the surrounding hills. So it's either cable (which is already in place because of the previous owner) or satellite. A lot of people have suggested I contact my current provider to say I want to cancel and switch as often that prompts a deal. As it is, if I went with VM I could make about £400 saving in the first 12 months, thereafter £20pm cheaper for a similar package I'm on now. So definitely worth doing something rather than nothing.

The naughty bits ... :oops: To be fair I had a "free" dinner this week (using my own grown produce and eggs) and made a lot of soups and stews with veggies so I've been good, but last night the traffic home was horrendous and I got home too tired to bother cooking. So after much anguish and deliberation, I opened my purse and had just enough cash from the egg sales so shot out of the house to get some fish and chips. Luckily the girls are all stocked up for a good fortnight or more so hopefully there will be some more egg sales before I have to get any more (the egg sales pay for the chicken feed and bedding, and any surplus goes into a pot towards a night out with my friends)

Seeds - oh dear. I can't help myself. I spent just over £6 but I did save on 49p postage {rofwl}

Today's shop - I had a few essentials to get but managed to keep the total down to £14. And although there was just under half a tank of petrol, I wasn't that confident it would last a week so put £16 worth in (I noticed the price was down to £1.26p a litre) Next week is pay day but I still have another month of "strict" frugalness to contend with before benefiting from any reductions in bills which will include not having to pay council tax plus water rates, as well as a drop in my mortgage payments and leccy direct debits from 1st March . Fingers crossed that the mild winter continues .....
lancashire lass
Legendary Laner

I wrote myself a shopping list but forgot to take it with me today ... leaving me to roam the aisles and putting stuff in the trolley ... }hairout{ So today's shop cost just under £30 but as I look at what I've bought, I haven't really spent on anything I won't use. I usually buy fresh bread rolls for the weekend but the price for 6 is beyond a joke so went for a 50p tin loaf instead. I also like fish on a Friday night (I don't know why - it's not like my family was particularly religious LOL) so I got some battered fish portions on special offer, and I really fancied some pies (for those days I can't be bothered to stand in the kitchen preparing meals) so got a couple of £1 packs for the freezer.

Apart from my usual basics, the rest seemed to be spent on the chickens LOL - some tins of cheap sweetcorn (which I also use when I open a tin so don't think I'm a complete soft touch), cheap pilchards in tomato sauce, a bag of sunflower seed hearts and dried mealworms. I know I could buy mealworms cheaper if in bulk but when counting the pennies, bulk buying isn't always possible. One thing I have noticed since before Christmas is that I seem to have lost my sweet tooth and haven't bought any chocolate or cake treat - only a couple of £ a week saving but I'd like to think it'll help my waistline as well LOL. I can't say I've noticed anything different though.

With spending more on my shop than planned, I was loathe to fill the petrol tank up so just put £15 worth in which is the average running costs. I don't know why because I'll still have to fill the car up again next week from the same wages packet >dum<

As soon as I got paid on Wednesday, I moved some money into my PayPal account and bought a can of Scarper from e-bay (supposedly the ultimate in anti-pecking feather eating spray for chickens) One of my chickens just won't stop eating the bum feathers on the others so I want to put a stop to it. She's not a bad chicken really (well, most of the time) but has got into a habit which may have started off with a need for extra protein and or calcium, but she has no excuses now. I just have to be brave and treat the others ... not a task I'm going to enjoy.

When we got paid in December, we had a pay rise and back-pay (which went towards paying debts) so this month I could see what that pay rise per month really is ... just £10 a month extra. It's not going to go very far when the new water rates and council taxes arrive, not to mention the ever rising fuel and food costs. And this is supposed to be an above inflation pay increase >coc< Sorry, I'll get off my soap box now.

I only had one sale of eggs this week after the above normal demands a couple of weeks ago, but I've got some orders for next week. Just as well because I noticed the layers pellets bag is starting to get a bit low and maybe just 2 weeks worth left. The egg sales are supposed to go towards the chickens basic bedding and feed! And I suspect my friends will be planning a meal out soon too - only an evening at a local pub about once every 2 months which is not expensive (usually no more than £10) but the surplus from egg sales is supposed to pay for that too. I could do with drumming up some more sales to ensure a more steady income ..... plus I have quite a lot of eggs at the moment as the girls decided to get back into full laying swing again. I guess I'll be having a couple more eggy dinners this next week LOL
Mo
Legendary Laner

Post by Mo »

I use eggs for baking (1lb or eggs for a batch of fruit cakes) and omelettes. So when I have a build up and am not going where I would sell them, I freeze either 1lb in a marg tub, or 2 in a yoghurt pot. Whisk them a bit first. Texture is thicker when defrosted but they cook fine. Saves selling older eggs.
Dance caller. http://mo-dance-caller.blogspot.co.uk/p/what-i-do.html
Sunny Clucker enjoyed Folk music and song in mid-Cheshire
lancashire lass
Legendary Laner

Mo wrote:I use eggs for baking (1lb or eggs for a batch of fruit cakes) and omelettes. So when I have a build up and am not going where I would sell them, I freeze either 1lb in a marg tub, or 2 in a yoghurt pot. Whisk them a bit first. Texture is thicker when defrosted but they cook fine. Saves selling older eggs.

)t' I might just do that although I'm not a baker - I've sold 2 dozen since Monday, and the surplus will be put to good use - the fridge is starting to look a bit bare (apart from the eggs {rofwl} ) and I've still got 3 more weeks of frugalness so eggy dinners will soon finish them off.

I remembered to check my Asda till receipt today and there's a £1.09p voucher )c( - that will most certainly come in handy this Saturday. I noticed I'm running out of onions - I can put up with not having cheese or other stuff to knock up a meal, but without onions ....

Just when I thought I was feeling less stressed about finances, a couple of bills arrived and once again I seem to be counting the pennies as the £s pay them off. I also got my gas bill (2 weeks after submitting a reading) and BG have decided to up the direct debits to £10 pm which in effect pays the standing charges as suspected they would. If the leccy direct debit really does come down to £34 pm then I won't be any worse off but it's the principle of having to pay a standing charge that exceeds my usage by 10:1 that I find frustrating.
Mo
Legendary Laner

Post by Mo »

Can you change your gas supplier. On Money Box this weekend they said Ebico has a zero standing charge. That programme is on Listen Again, or you can read the Transcript.
lancashire lass
Legendary Laner

Mo wrote:Can you change your gas supplier. On Money Box this weekend they said Ebico has a zero standing charge. That programme is on Listen Again, or you can read the Transcript.

Truth is Mo, I've been badly stung by a previous switch to another supplier that went horribly wrong and I was harrassed for non-payment of a bill that I didn't owe (talking £10000s worth of electricity - I spent a fortune calling them by phone and writing letters to both suppliers that said the other was responsible) - it took over 12 months to sort it out, but the stress of the demands and threat of legal action for non-payment is not something I'd like to go through again. I don't know Ebico but I did notice Ilona had switched and was just keeping an eye on how she has been getting on with them. But yes, I'd agree that currently it is unacceptable to have a standing charge way in excess of the usage. I also need to take into account price per unit (might be no standing charge, but a lot get by that by having a more expensive unit price) and after losing the dual fuel discount too. I'm almost sure though that for the amount of gas I have used that taking everything into account it would be cheaper to switch just the gas supplier.

On another note which I thought I'd add while I'm here - I've just paid the allotment rent today which is £64.50p this year. I'd already put that cash on one side just before Christmas and glad it's all paid now and temptation to spend it has gone LOL
Meanqueen
Legendary Laner

Post by Meanqueen »

I think the problems with changing suppliers is mostly around the direct debit system of payment. In fact I think the whole DD system stinks. It is biased towards the utilities company's, they seem to put it up and down at will. After all it's only an estimate of what you might use. They must be spending millions on call centres because people are having to ring up and challenge their bills.

My changeover appears to have gone smoothly, apart from me having to ask for the return of the overpayment on my last bill. I checked with the Ebico site on how much I am likely to pay and it seemed very reasonable, in fact less than BG. I won't know untill I get my first quarterly bill.

The standing charge is going to be a killer for low users who are trying to live within their means. It hardly seems fair that those who have the least amount of money, pay the same charge as those well off customers. My friend is well paid and when I ask her about her bills she said she doesn't even look at them, just pays up.
Ilona
Mo
Legendary Laner

Post by Mo »

I've switched using Energy Helpline. They have some good reviews, and my changeovers have been smooth. My only quibble was that they talked me into paying a small one-off sum for regular updates, but I now think they automatically contact people and say 'you switched last year, let us find you a better offer'. But I knew I might let it slip so paid up

Standing charges seem to be an encouragement to global warming and wasting energy. The more you use, the cheaper you get it. Yes I know it costs them to bill you etc but......
lancashire lass
Legendary Laner

Mo wrote:Standing charges seem to be an encouragement to global warming and wasting energy. The more you use, the cheaper you get it. Yes I know it costs them to bill you etc but.....

I've always thought the 2 tier system was an encouragement to use more energy - why should the first x amount be more expensive :? - and those on low income or care about the environment are having to pay the higher rating allowing wasters to enjoy a cheaper tariff. And as for billing costs ... it never ceases to amaze me that a bill takes 3 sheets of printed paper, and then there's all that advertising bumpf they add to the envelope which alone should pay for the bill and postage so where IS the cost?

Today I kept my weekly shop to a bare minimum and wrote a shopping list and worked out the rough cost before I even went out (just shows how predictable my basics are LOL), taking into account my £1.09p voucher which came to a total spend of £9.40p which I paid cash from the egg sales (I sold 2 dozen this week )t' ) ... in a series of silver coins {rofwl} My purse certainly feels a lot lighter for it. I checked the girls feed and there's probably a lot more than I realised so still time to sell some more eggs before needing to buy a bag.

Petrol - I was tempted to leave it a week but with all the massive road works in and around Nottingham with the new tram lines and road widening, we have yet another planned disruption on top of everything else starting on Monday for the next 6 weeks at a busy junction which I can't avoid on my route to work. So I thought I'd better fill the tank in anticipation of being stuck in traffic jams }hairout{ and put £15 worth in.

Other than that, I've been good and not done any other or online shopping +f+ Even though this thread is about being frugal for the year, it is definitely going to be a Frugal February LOL