Archery...

From Crochet to Collectables and other Interests
manda

Archery...

Post by manda »

Some of you may remember I posted a while back about my youngest son getting into archery (he shoots a recurve bow)...he's been doing it about a year and a half and in that time we've become completely enmeshed in the Club ...Hubby is now the Equipment Manager and I'm the Club Secretary {rofwl}

Anyhoo a few months ago hubby got a compound bow - which can be used for hunting.

Hubby and I both recently became qualified Archery coaches ...OMG this club know how to suck you in!!! {rofwl}

Well I decided if you can't beat 'em, join 'em! so I've got a new toy
The matching bow stand was how it came but it's a bonus +f+ ...it was second hand but looks like it didn't get much use....so hubby and I sat down and tuned it a few days ago and he has made me a new string for it so it's good to go...

I haven't been able to play with it yet because I've had Sciatica for the past 2 weeks and standing has been a bit of a challenge never mind using a bow...but hopefully that will change really soon.
¸.•´¸.•*´¨) ¸.•*¨)✰
(¸.✰´¨(¸.✰ Manda

Living our version of the Good Life with 4 dogs, 6 cats, a cow, a few sheep, Angora Goats and ???? chooks.
Don't get your knickers in a knot..it solves nothing ~ just makes you walk funny
HazellB
Longlasting Laner

Re: Archery...

Post by HazellB »

Oooo, I'm envious :-D

Few years ago I booked a man who was European Champion with a long bow (I forget the details) to come and teach myself and partner a few basics. It turned into a total nightmare sadly.

The tutor claimed he could ride a horse and asked if we would let him shoot his bow from one of our horses, so I said sadly not as our horses are far too feisty for that sort of thing. In the end he talked me into letting him on a very quiet cob I had on livery, so I put the horse on a long line and walked it forward about ten steps with him sitting on board. This horse was almost flat and impossible to fall off - nobody had ever so much as slid sideways on him in his life, even jumping him bareback.

The tutor fell off and broke his back.
I had no insurance and no way to prove he had promised me he could ride quite well.
I also had no way to prove he'd been in slow walk and only gone a few paces.

Long story short, he didn't sue as I ended up telling his wife she'd have to move a very long way away to avoid seeing me again. Turns out he's sued loads of people as he's quite 'clumsy' at times, often tripping and falling while out and about. Only he took this fall far too far and, frankly, it serves him right.

Archery is now banned in our field )loo(
@Sheldonatsov
My horrible dog's a Twit(ter)
manda

Post by manda »

OMG!!!...that's awful...there are so many names that come to mind for him but none that I think the word censor will let through }hairout{ ...I agree with you though served him right for his "clumsiness" !

I will not be shooting from any horses or in fact anything moving (including me at the moment {rofwl} )
¸.•´¸.•*´¨) ¸.•*¨)✰
(¸.✰´¨(¸.✰ Manda

Living our version of the Good Life with 4 dogs, 6 cats, a cow, a few sheep, Angora Goats and ???? chooks.
Don't get your knickers in a knot..it solves nothing ~ just makes you walk funny
Totally Scrambled
Site Admin

Post by Totally Scrambled »

Sounds like he was an idiot. Longbows were never meant to be fired from horseback. He's lucky he didn't fall on his quiver.
Manda,
You could load the arrows up like a kebab and set up an express kebab service )t'
Dom
Ali Woks My World
AL37
Admin Moderator

Post by AL37 »

Manda I have to say I am slightly jelous, Archery is something I would like to take up as a hobby.
Hope the backs better soon. )t'
[center]Relax, I could have been a twin.[/center]
manda

Post by manda »

Dom....we are going to get new carbon arrows for Josh...he has aluminium arrows at the moment....mmmm maybe we could find an "alternative" use for them {rofwl}

So do I Al...coz I want to play!!! )grin2(
¸.•´¸.•*´¨) ¸.•*¨)✰
(¸.✰´¨(¸.✰ Manda

HazellB
Longlasting Laner

Post by HazellB »

Can I have a large kebab with extra grease, please? )t'

Can I ask just how much force there is in a fired arrow? I mean, would it be enough to damage bone if it hit a human? Or even go straight through a body?

I ask because you see them kill people in film, but I never thought they would be powerful enough on the whole (and certainly not over distance) as in old tapestries they tend to show many arrows in a dear that's being hunted.

Modern bows will be fifty time more powerful, I guess, and dangerous in the wrong hands. Am I right?

(I have to plans to turn hit man, by the way. Was just wondering!)
@Sheldonatsov
manda

Re:

Post by manda »

HazellB wrote:.....
Can I ask just how much force there is in a fired arrow? I mean, would it be enough to damage bone if it hit a human? Or even go straight through a body?

I ask because you see them kill people in film, but I never thought they would be powerful enough on the whole (and certainly not over distance) as in old tapestries they tend to show many arrows in a dear that's being hunted.

Modern bows will be fifty time more powerful, I guess, and dangerous in the wrong hands. Am I right?

(I have to plans to turn hit man, by the way. Was just wondering!)

Well Josh shoots a Recurve at about 24/25lbs at the moment (and is saying it's getting too easy....Oh heck I see a new bow is going to be in order sometime in the near future !!!)....
His draw length is about 23 inches....for every inch of draw they reckon it's about 10ft per second ...so the speed of the arrow as it leaves his bow is about 230ft per second...obviously that drops after only a short distance but he could easily put an arrow through someone at 20 metres...25 metres if would stick in them

Mine is a 28lb Recurve and my draw length is about 28 inches so the arrow when it leaves my bow is doing 280ft per second....it would go through someone easily at 25 metres and easily stick in them at say 55 metres (an arrow will stick into high density foam about an inch easily at that distance)

Toby's is a 60lb compound bow...it's set up for hunting....his arrows come out of the bow at about 310ft per second ....it will go through a deer at 55 metres....hunting arrows have broadheads on them so they are designed to cause terminal damage as a bullet would....when you look at those tapestries those men with longbows would have had broadheads on their arrows.
They would have been a long way away and chances are they would have had many arrows to ensure they got their dinner....by the same token they could easily kill a person and if they didn't it would likely have been a terminal injury if it was a decent hit.

Put it this way ...Josh got a 22 (rifle) for his 8th birthday and a 410 shotgun which he has on loan as it's to suit his size...he has had as much to learn with the bow as he has with those...the range rules are strict and drummed into them constantly.

Yes it's a great sport BUT those bows can do serious damage and yes they could damage bone, go through someone and they are able to do serious damage / go through a body / potentially kill.

Happy thought innit ...now I think about it I've armed an 8 year old >dum< {rofwl} Although I have to say it's not as simple as that and safety with any of them is something that he (as well as us) gets and takes really seriously..
¸.•´¸.•*´¨) ¸.•*¨)✰
(¸.✰´¨(¸.✰ Manda

Dave
Legendary Laner

Post by Dave »

manda wrote:.so hubby and I sat down and tuned it a few days ago and he has made me a new string for it so it's good to go...

I haven't been able to play it yet because I've had Sciatica for the past 2 weeks and standing has been a bit of a challenge never mind using a bow...but hopefully that will change really soon.

What songs can you play ?
"The trouble with quotes over the Internet is that you never know if they are genuine." -- Abraham Lincoln
manda

Post by manda »

Nothing very well Dave... {rofwl} {rofwl} but you hum it I'll try and play it )w(
¸.•´¸.•*´¨) ¸.•*¨)✰
(¸.✰´¨(¸.✰ Manda

HazellB
Longlasting Laner

Post by HazellB »

there's nothing wrong with arming an 8 year old.
It's the 14 year olds who arm themselves that worry me {mr.angry}
Thanks Manda, good to know that lot.
@Sheldonatsov