A changing trend in Supermarket Special Offers ?

Thrifty tips, ideas, news & experiences on anything around the home to shopping to re-cycling etc.
Richard
Lord Lane of Down...... Site Owner

A changing trend in Supermarket Special Offers ?

Post by Richard »

I had a moan on here once about how the only way to buy cheap was to do the '3 for the price of 2' and before that '2 for the price of 1'.

I went to Tesco's on Saturday morning and popped round to the things I wanted only to find that almost everything was now '4 for the price of 3' !!

So not only do I have to buy four now to get just one thing and it's a lower saving proportionately anyway !!

I know the Freezer thing and we can store tins for ages etc. but I'd just end up with a Freezer and Larder looking like a Cash n Carry !!

Anyone else noticing this trend?

Richard
New Member? Get more from the Forum and join in 'Members Chat' - you're very welcome
Meanqueen
Legendary Laner

Re: A changing trend in Supermarket Special Offers ?

Post by Meanqueen »

I can't say as I've noticed, Richard. I nearly always buy 2, 3, or 4 of the same item, in tins, packets, jars, and frozen, cuts down my journeys to the supermarket. On Thursday I bought four tins of rice pudding. Sometimes I buy 12 of them because I know I am going to use them. Other items I buy several of are lemon curd, peanut butter, pickled onions, beetroot, most tinned food, bran flakes, porridge oats. I like to have at least two of everything in my cupboard. I will look out for those offers. next time I am in.
Ilona
Dave
Legendary Laner

Post by Dave »

Long time since I've popped in here
Me and the mrs have now done a couple of "on line"shops with Iceland.
Until recently you had to go into the store,do the shop and then they deliver it, but now you can do the whole thing on line.
Saving a god dam fortune !
"The trouble with quotes over the Internet is that you never know if they are genuine." -- Abraham Lincoln
Meanqueen
Legendary Laner

Post by Meanqueen »

Blimey Dave, that's a surprise. You still trucking the crisps about?
Ilona
Dave
Legendary Laner

Post by Dave »

Nope, long story. I'll explain on a different thread.
"The trouble with quotes over the Internet is that you never know if they are genuine." -- Abraham Lincoln
Richard

Post by Richard »

Way to go - hello Dave me old Matey, hope all's well.

)t' )t' )t'

Richard
New Member? Get more from the Forum and join in 'Members Chat' - you're very welcome
Meanqueen
Legendary Laner

Post by Meanqueen »

Okeydokey, just wondered. I have a bloke called Dave who is a trucker, he reads my blog every day. He reminds me of you, same sense of humour.
Ilona

Oops sorry, off topic.
perchy

Post by perchy »

)wav( )wav( Hello Dave
Dave
Legendary Laner

Post by Dave »

Posted in members chat )t'
lancashire lass
Legendary Laner

Post by lancashire lass »

Back to topic, I haven't noticed the 3 for 4, but I have noticed the huge price difference between single items compared to the buy 3 for £X - why have bread rolls got so expensive? Just before Christmas I was annoyed that 6 rolls cost 80p but buy 3 packs for just £1.50p )ang I don't want 18 bread rolls, I want just 6 - and I don't have the freezer space to fill with bread rolls }hairout{ This Saturday - unbelievably, now £1 for a pack of 6, £1.50p for 3 packs ...

And not that long ago there was a report of how much food is binned each week - and one of the reasons is due to the special offers.
Richard

Post by Richard »

Spot on LL - you can only store so much with what you've got to put it in.

I feel sorry for those Pensioners who find it financially difficult, they don't want to stock up on a lot of things, don't have three Freezers and can't afford the extra items even if they are on offer.

Richard )t'
Mercedes
Legendary Laner

Post by Mercedes »

We go to our huge Tesco Extra every Saturday morning to just top up our fortnightly delivery. I had noticed a lot of their offers had changed recently but I will usually just buy the one item unless it's a really good offer. I'm another of those people who always likes to be well stocked up so that I never run out of anything, so I'm always just needing to top up by one tin or one jar, which probably isn't very cost conscious of me!

OH and I both like the Tilda Steamed Basmati rice that you just cook in the microwave and right now they are on a BOGOF but the price per pack has gone up to £1.59 so you aren't really saving as much as you think.

I did notice a lot of their yoghurts are also on offer but unless you have a big family who eats lots of them you end up throwing some out as they go out of date too quickly :?
Lyn

Post by Gwenoakes »

I havent noticed the buy 4 for 3, but I have noticed that the 6 pints of milk is very rarely available now. There was only one in Aldi this last Sat and none in Tesco either. This is going to make buying milk go up by quite a bit which does tend to aggravate me.

I have noticed also that things we usually bought in Morrisons are no longer available and when I have asked why, nobody seems to know! Two things that spring to mind are frozen Apple Strudels which used to be £1 and certain tins of peeled plumb tomatoes. The Apple Strudels were a really good buy as they fed five of us for pudding with some custard/single cream and I really couldnt make them for that price even having our own apples.

Years ago I wanted to do a years shopping in one or two hits for things that would keep, wanted to use the loft as a shop and just fetch fresh things as and when required. The idea was to put money in a jar when you went shopping in the loft so you would always have a good amount put by for the next mammoth shop. I really wish I had done it I would have saved a packet by now.
Dave
Legendary Laner

Post by Dave »

Why "buy one get one free"
Why not just "half the price" as that would help a lot more
Mo
Legendary Laner

Post by Mo »

I tried that 'shopping in the loft'.
I remember finding a little mouse in our enormous bag of oats. Aaah don't hurt the poor little thing.
Dance caller. http://mo-dance-caller.blogspot.co.uk/p/what-i-do.html
Sunny Clucker enjoyed Folk music and song in mid-Cheshire