Bill's 2014 Garden Diary

Members adventures in the Vegetable Patch all year round
billnorfolk
Legendary Laner

Bill's 2014 Garden Diary

Post by billnorfolk »

Tuesday 21st January.

Just back from the hospital ,hip doin ok so ready to start some light work about the garden ,right knee arthroscopy next job just a clean up and wash out so back on the list another 18 weeks yike*

Weather cold +2 and freezing fog all day ,not a nice day to be on the garden .All me beds still covered apart from this one which has had a few leeks in and still got a row of Parsnips.
This is where I am planning to get a few not a lot of new chickens ,got the coop and the run will be inside the raised bed ,with the idea of moving them each year around the raised beds.

Watch this space )t'
Did manage to clean the potting shed out over the weekend ,doesn't look that great but better than it did )w(

Off to get me seed spuds and onion sets tomorrow so we on the way.
A leek in the hand,is worth 2 in the roof.

Bill's Diaries.....2012 2013 2014
jemberelli
Legendary Laner

Re: Bill's 2014 Garden Diary

Post by jemberelli »

Great to see you back, fit & healthy Bill. Looking forward to your diary again )t'
No girls at the moment but look forward to getting more in the future. Proud mummy to Hector, a Bedlington Terrier x Jack Russell
Totally Scrambled
Site Admin

Post by Totally Scrambled »

Good to see you're starting to get back to the things you enjoy )t'
Dom
Ali Woks My World
HappyBob
Legendary Laner

Post by HappyBob »

Glad to see you out and about Bill, hope we have another good gardening year (weather wise) this year. )t'
Dont ever grow up, its a trap
HensAloud
Legendary Laner

Post by HensAloud »

I'm glad you're up and running with your 2014 diary Bill. :-D
Angela
Usually Barking Up the Wrong Tree
billnorfolk
Legendary Laner

Post by billnorfolk »

jemberelli wrote:Great to see you back, fit & healthy Bill. Looking forward to your diary again )t'

Thanks jemberelli good to be back ,at least you know once you start your diary spring is just around the corner.When I get my new girls will be popping up to the chicken form so may catch you on there a well )t'

billnorfolk
Legendary Laner

Post by billnorfolk »

Totally Scrambled wrote:Good to see you're starting to get back to the things you enjoy )t'
Dom

Hiya Dom

Lot of truth in what you say there ,I do love doing my garden and helping others to enjoy there's, hoping it will be a little easier this year with me new hip. )t'

billnorfolk
Legendary Laner

Post by billnorfolk »

HappyBob wrote:Glad to see you out and about Bill, hope we have another good gardening year (weather wise) this year. )t'

Fingers crossed Bob,plenty of wetness about at the moment .How you getting on with your hens Bob?

billnorfolk
Legendary Laner

Post by billnorfolk »

HensAloud wrote:I'm glad you're up and running with your 2014 diary Bill. :-D

Up and walking Angela {rofwl} Yep not a lot going on at the moment,cause you know what today is now I can walk again,SHOPPING }hairout{ .

Managed to get me spuds and onion sets while we were out.

Me old favourites Desiree
Never grown Golden wonder before ,I expect you take a chance with the flavour,prefer cheese and onion myself >shrug< or smokey bacon but will have to wait and see (wonder if they will be in packets)
Got me onions as well while we were out.
Only growing main crop this year will get them chitting around 2nd or 3rd week in February in a cool frost free area.
Getting the tomatoe seeds in will be round the end of February on a warm window sill. >gl<

lancashire lass
Legendary Laner

Post by lancashire lass »

>fi< it won't be long now, fingers crossed that we don't get the same icy cold spring like last year (but then we don't want deluges either {rofwl} )

My friend gave me some Golden Wonder tubers to try (back in 2007 - another memorable wet spring/early summer) - it could have been the weather, but when I dug mine up, I wasn't too struck with them. Having saying that, I was completely bowled over with the enormous size of the Kestral spuds after all that rain, so I might have already decided which were the best after that.

Nice to see you back in the garden sectioning )t'
Spreckly
Legendary Laner

Post by Spreckly »

Looking forward to reading your diary Bill. All the best with you knee treatment. Careful with your new hip.
HensAloud
Legendary Laner

Post by HensAloud »

Oh dear back in the old Thursday shopping routine ! Mind how you go now when it's setting time. I'm thinking it may be some time yet before I can get out doing in the garden, just a stroll around leaves me pooped !
Angela
Usually Barking Up the Wrong Tree
billnorfolk
Legendary Laner

Post by billnorfolk »

lancashire lass wrote:>fi< it won't be long now, fingers crossed that we don't get the same icy cold spring like last year (but then we don't want deluges either {rofwl} )

My friend gave me some Golden Wonder tubers to try (back in 2007 - another memorable wet spring/early summer) - it could have been the weather, but when I dug mine up, I wasn't too struck with them. Having saying that, I was completely bowled over with the enormous size of the Kestral spuds after all that rain, so I might have already decided which were the best after that.

Nice to see you back in the garden sectioning )t'

Thanks LL nice to be back,hopefully the fact I live in a very light soil area might get a better crop from the Golden Wonder spuds,fingers crossed,they will only get one chance {warn} .I think drying out is going to be the problem this year specialy early on. )t'

billnorfolk
Legendary Laner

Post by billnorfolk »

Spreckly wrote:Looking forward to reading your diary Bill. All the best with you knee treatment. Careful with your new hip.

Hiya Spreckly

Thanks for the good wishes it is only a day treatment so not to bad bit of pain but doesn't last long ,should give my right knee a few more years before replacement needed,had left knee done twice so needs replacement but probably next year yike*

Did you ever clear the weeds out of your lawn or give it up as a bad job )w( get them in mine seem to grow over night in late summer when is dry,but cant eat lawns so not bothered )w(

billnorfolk
Legendary Laner

Post by billnorfolk »

HensAloud wrote:Oh dear back in the old Thursday shopping routine ! Mind how you go now when it's setting time. I'm thinking it may be some time yet before I can get out doing in the garden, just a stroll around leaves me pooped !

Yes Angela back doin shopping }hairout{ .
They have told me 12weeks should be able to treat as normal then so should be ok for bending and so forth )w( no not that, kneeling comes later {rofwl}
Just keep doin as the doc tells you there is no hurry and you will get there )t' {hug}