Coconut magic pie.....

Recipes, Cooking tips and maybe some 'Home Made' secrets !
manda

Coconut magic pie.....

Post by manda »

There has been much discussion about magic pies on FB....this one is very easy to make. I had a hunt on the www and found this one with coconut.

You literally throw in all the ingredients in a bowl, mix, into a pie dish and into the oven.....and it magically forms three delicious layers.

There's this really thin almost a pastry base, a custard filling and a coconutty crust on top.

Ingredients:

1 cup plain flour
1 cup caster (icing) sugar
1 cup shredded coconut
4 eggs
3 cups milk
2 teaspoons vanilla extract
Place all the ingredients in a bowl and mix with electric beaters until well combined. Pour into a greased pie dish and bake for 1 hour at 180 degrees. Serve warm with cream.

Image Image

It's not suitable for freezing.
Don’t reduce the sugar in this recipe – or you will end up with scrambled egg pie!
Decorate with grated chocolate and cream if desired
For a dairy free version, substitute the milk with rice milk or oat milk (I haven't tried it).
For a gluten free version, substitute the flour with gluten free flour.

It tastes like a egg custard tart with a bit extra....first time I've made it but I really like it...and hubby has eaten almost half since he got in from work :-D )t'
¸.•´¸.•*´¨) ¸.•*¨)✰
(¸.✰´¨(¸.✰ Manda

Living our version of the Good Life with 4 dogs, 6 cats, a cow, a few sheep, Angora Goats and ???? chooks.
Don't get your knickers in a knot..it solves nothing ~ just makes you walk funny
albertajune
Legendary Laner

Re: Coconut magic pie.....

Post by albertajune »

That looks a good easy one to try Manda. We are trying to cut down on puds but will make it at the weekend. )t'
I am now a widow and live with my memories.
manda

Post by manda »

Well I was trying to work out how it is from a fattening point of view...it's got no butter in it, has less sugar than a cake, less flour than a cake and doesn't need any filling or icing and it was a pretty big pie (more like a custard tart really I suppose) ...so I reckon from that point of view it's probably more healthy than a cake (well I'm sticking to that rationale anyway )grin2( )
¸.•´¸.•*´¨) ¸.•*¨)✰
(¸.✰´¨(¸.✰ Manda

Living our version of the Good Life with 4 dogs, 6 cats, a cow, a few sheep, Angora Goats and ???? chooks.
Don't get your knickers in a knot..it solves nothing ~ just makes you walk funny
tortzblue
Lively Laner

Post by tortzblue »

That looks really delish Manda. Trouble is Son HATES coconut. I wonder if I could sub anything else? (If not I'll have to eat it all myself... Oh dear! )eat( )
p.penn

Post by p.penn »

Manda -I have never even heard of 'magic pie' before!!!!

Must say it sounds very simple and I have to say that I will almost definitely try this at some point.

I LOVE coconut )eat(
Helen xx

3 children, 3 grandchildren, 3 chooks, 3 fish, a shrimp that thinks its a prawn and a dappy dog.
http://www.acountrygrandma.blogspot.com
manda

Post by manda »

tortzblue wrote:That looks really delish Manda. Trouble is Son HATES coconut. I wonder if I could sub anything else? (If not I'll have to eat it all myself... Oh dear! )eat( )

Funnily enough hubby and his mate both hate coconut but both liked it }hairout{

Made another one today.....it's gone )gr:
¸.•´¸.•*´¨) ¸.•*¨)✰
(¸.✰´¨(¸.✰ Manda

Mad Chick

Post by Mad Chick »

I found a similar one to yours but with no coconut on FB )t'

I don't know how to copy the photo but I can copy the recipe over...

Grandmas Magic Cake -This cake is 'magic' because with just one batter it comes out in 3 layers. Dense bottom layer, custard like middle and fluffy cake on top.

Ingredients:

4 eggs, separated, at room temperature
1 Tbsp water
½ cup + 2 Tablespoons (5.3 oz, 150 g) sugar
1 stick (125 g) butter, melted
¾ cup (4 oz, 115 g) flour
2 cups (500 ml) milk, lukewarm
2 tsp vanilla extract

Directions:

Mix egg whites until stiff.

In another bowl, beat the egg yolks with the sugar, water and vanilla until light. Add melted butter and continue beating for another minute. Then add the flour and mix it in.

Add the milk (it has to be lukewarm, otherwise the butter will harden) and beat until well incorporated.

Gently fold in beaten egg whites using a spatula.

Pour batter into a greased 8 inch x 8 inch (20 x 20 cm) baking dish (do not use spring form because batter is too liquid and the pan could leak) and bake in preheated 325 F oven for about 60 minutes or until the top is golden.

Cool in the pan for at least 3 hours. Serve sprinkled with powdered sugar.

I'm going to try this tomorrow :-D
Lucy x

Always do sober what you said you'd do drunk. That will teach you to keep your mouth shut - Ernest Hemingway
manda

Post by manda »

I made that one as well ..the same time I made the cocnut one {rofwl}

This one is a bit more of a faff because you need more bowls...mins you it's still not that much hassle but it does have more ingredients so it's not as frugal and I have to say apart from the fact that you get a cakey bit on the top it doesn't taste that much different....

The decision from my lot was they were both nice but the little un and hubby (who doesn't like coconut)... preferred the coconut one :-D
¸.•´¸.•*´¨) ¸.•*¨)✰
(¸.✰´¨(¸.✰ Manda

Mad Chick

Post by Mad Chick »

I had a go at making the non coconut one today :?

The only 20cm cake tin I had is lose bottomed and was worried about leakage but looking at the photo, decided a fairly deep sandwich tin would do... wrong!

I ended up filling two sandwich tins with the batter and baked them for an hour. They look like burnt omelettes {rofwl}

They do taste lovely and you can just about see the three layers but they look so awful! I think a deeper dish is definitely needed :oops:
Lucy x

Always do sober what you said you'd do drunk. That will teach you to keep your mouth shut - Ernest Hemingway
manda

Post by manda »

Ah I should have said you need something like a pyrex pie dish or I've got an 8x8 pyrex baking thingy....no loose bottom thingy's as the batter is so liquid.

They don't need to be that deep I think the one's I have are about 2 inches deep and all the batter goes in
¸.•´¸.•*´¨) ¸.•*¨)✰
(¸.✰´¨(¸.✰ Manda

albertajune
Legendary Laner

Post by albertajune »

I made the coconut topped version and was well pleased with it. I've only just seen Lucy's, so another one to try. )t'
I am now a widow and live with my memories.
stace
Legendary Laner

Post by stace »

Pete loves cocnut and i have been looking for a nice coconut sponge over the past week, but might try this one Manda. Everythhing i make is gone within 2 days, i never seem to be out of the kitchen these days. I made a massive victoria sponge on Monday evening 12 of everything and 6 eggs, was gone by wed :oops: At least i know they love my baking i suppose )t' I did try the sponge with jam and coconut on top, they had it with custard, but i wasn't keen on that little to dry for me i think
Bev xx

http://www.freshstartforhens.co.uk/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;"
HedgeHugger
Legendary Laner

Post by HedgeHugger »

I've just given this a go, it's in the oven right now.
I put the ingredients into my Kmix as they were listed, dried first them milk, egg etc.
I mixed it up, very yellow, then poured it into my SILICON (a bit wobbly) pie dish thing,
Only to discover that the flour was still stuck to the base of the mixing bowl, and it hadn't really mixed at all. So cue me having to tip it all back into the mixing bowl from the wibbly silicon pie-dish. Do you think I spilt any? Too blinkin' right I did, all over the worksurface!

I scraped it back into the mixing bowl, sshhhh! :)
manda

Post by manda »

{rofwl} ..what did you think of it?
¸.•´¸.•*´¨) ¸.•*¨)✰
(¸.✰´¨(¸.✰ Manda

HedgeHugger
Legendary Laner

Post by HedgeHugger »

It's 'different' is how I would describe it.
Not in a bad way, I will add :)

The base was almost pancake, and I guess the coconut floats which gives it that wonderful coconutty topping. So the flour must sink?, which gives the base.

It was pretty sweet, sort of like a big custard pie.

If I make another, I'll do half the quantity, It's pretty massive for just 2 of us, normally I would freeze half (or more) of a cake that size.