Advice needed

Dogs, Cats, Fish, Parrots, Horses, ALL Domestic Pets
davina112
Legendary Laner

Advice needed

Post by davina112 »

Ok, so yesterday I bought a pair of call ducks for hubby. I posted that experience in the other poultry section. Getting them into the coup last night was difficult for us and I think very traumatic for them. So today they have been left in the coup with the door open so they can see out.
I know ducks don't automatically go to bed at dusk like chickens, but does anyone have any advice on a less stressful (for the ducks) way of getting them in at night. I have read that treats can work and that ducks usually like peas !!!! So this evening I will try putting some peas in with them and see if they like them.
Any advice would be gratefully accepted )t'
[center][/center]Davina
perchy

Re: Advice needed

Post by perchy »

Ooh how lovely to have ducks, I know absolutely nothing about ducks, but guess they have to go to bed for safety as much as anything, sorry it has been stressful for you all, maybe a bowl of peas for them, hopefully someone with ducks will be able to help, can we have a picture when you can {hug}

http://www.backyardchickens.com/t/71324 ... hickens-do" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

http://poultrykeeperforum.com/viewtopic.php?f=4&t=5355
davina112
Legendary Laner

Post by davina112 »

Thank Perchy
We have given them peas as a treat in the coup tonight, and they will be staying in there tomorrow as well with peas as a treat. Hopefully the will learn to associate going into the coup with pea treats )t'
They had a little swim on the pond yesterday, before escaping under the fence, down a steep incline into the perimeter of the school. So with hubby and I I not so quick persuit over fences and obstacle courses, they were retrieved via a big fishing net. Poor little things must have been scared to death. If only they understood that they will have a lovely life with us, but they have to stay in the garden and go into the coup sat night.
[center][/center]Davina
Gwenoakes
Legendary Laner

Post by Gwenoakes »

I like ducks. )t'

Think treats may be the way to go, although we had one duck and she always went in her bed at night, was like a large dog kennel, without any treats.

)piicy(
davina112
Legendary Laner

Post by davina112 »

Hi Gwen, thanks.
I will post dome pics, but it will be next weekend now as I don't see any daylight on work days.
[center][/center]Davina
p.penn

Post by p.penn »

My daughter used to have call ducks ( and other ducks) I will see if she can help.
Helen xx

3 children, 3 grandchildren, 3 chooks, 3 fish, a shrimp that thinks its a prawn and a dappy dog.
http://www.acountrygrandma.blogspot.com
Bok bok bok
Lively Laner

Post by Bok bok bok »

I love call ducks, but have to say they have been the trickiest breed I've had!

You need to take into account they are small and fly! They will go with wild ducks, and escape unless you clip their wings. They were uses to call the Wild ducks down,to ponds, hence the name. I'm sure you've already noticed how noisey they are for such small cute little things!

I don't know your set up, but I always had a small pen around their house. I would feed them twice a day am &pm in the pen. In the pm I would close the door to keep them close to home. They then put themselves to bed.

Personally, if I was starting with call ducks again, I would pen around their house, and keep them in for a week feeding them a couple of times a day, so they can settle. Then start to let them out, they should return to the pen when they hear you coming with the food. (Should!)

This helps!

X
2 children, half a springer Spaniel, a Hamster, 2 Goldfish and an allotment. And a very excited, now mummy of some chickens again, Daisey, Dotty and Master Yoda!

A chicken crossing the road is poultry in motion!
davina112
Legendary Laner

Post by davina112 »

Advice much appreciated, their wings are clipped. Surprisingly they have been quiet since they arrived, except when we were trying to capture them go put them back in the coup.
[center][/center]Davina
Willow
Legendary Laner

Post by Willow »

Oh the joy of keeping ducks lol !
We gave up trying to get ours into the coop at night, they were much happier outside & went in to lay - (apart from the time they decided to hide a nest and we found a mountain of eggs behind a bush).
We had a large secure (weldmesh) enclosure for them with the open coop & access to the pond. They'd be out free ranging with the chickens during the day, and as their food was in the enclosure we had no problems getting them back in in the evening.. In the end it was just a matter of calling them "Night night Howard" & walking behind them would get them locked into the pen safely ..
Due to the fact that they all took off and circled the neighbours gardens one year, we decided to clip the wings (only one each). Within days a fox had two of them.. I never clipped wings after that..
They're a pain in the proverbial, messy, and wreck the garden far more than chickens but they're great and fab characters - enjoy )t' )t'
"Everyone is a genius. But if you judge a fish on its ability to climb a tree, it will live its whole life believing that it is stupid"

Albert Einstein
davina112
Legendary Laner

Post by davina112 »

Ok duck update
They were left in the coup all day yesterday, hubby decided to let them out around 1pm today. He stated that although they could get out they didn't do so for a good 2 hours.
I have just arrived home from work and there is no sign of them going back into the coup. Hubby says there is an area under the decking just out of the water they seem to like.
Obviously we cannot herd them in as they are in the pond.
So I guess they will have to be left out. The place they seem to prefer would be difficult for predators to reach. So fingers crossed they will be safe.
I don't know what else to do >shrug<
[center][/center]Davina
Gwenoakes
Legendary Laner

Post by Gwenoakes »

Fingers crossed that they are OK today. )t'
davina112
Legendary Laner

Post by davina112 »

Little duckies seem to be ok, they have totally abandoned the coup, or so it seems. And prefer the outdoor life, I hope they arnt too cold though. Hubby says that yesterday they swam on the pond had a little poodle about and then went back to their hiding place under the decking.
They don't seem to be eating very much of the food we put out, I am hoping they are getting enough from the weed on the pond.
I can't wait for the weekend so I can watch them.
[center][/center]Davina
Gwenoakes
Legendary Laner

Post by Gwenoakes »

)t'
davina112
Legendary Laner

Post by davina112 »

It is pitch black and they are still swimming around on the pond. It is forecast to be very very cold tonight, I hope they will be alright. Why won't they use the warm coup I have lovingly provided for them >shrug<
[center][/center]Davina
davina112
Legendary Laner

Post by davina112 »

Update on the ducks.
They obviously have no intention of using the coup.
The seem to be nocturnal, they spend the majority of the day hiding under the decking, Judy coming out for short semis around the pond. But once it gets dark they come out from under the decking and happily swim around quacking. Hubby gas been having problems sleeping and has been up 2 to 3 am every morning, when he sneaks up to the pond and there they are happy and contented swimming in the dark.
The treats have absolutely no impression on them whatsoever, so I guess we will just have to leave them to it.
I was going to post some pics, but all I have us a picture of a ducks legs and feet under the decking {rofwl}
[center][/center]Davina