Richard's Frugal 2014

Thrifty tips, ideas, news & experiences on anything around the home to shopping to re-cycling etc.
Richard
Lord Lane of Down...... Site Owner

Richard's Frugal 2014

Post by Richard »

I have to say I haven't started off on a good note. Come 2nd. January and I spent over £600 on a new PC Tower Unit - but I see that more of an investment as I'm doing more and more Videos and need the Power!

What I must get to grips with is selling some things which have accumulated; I have two Cameras, A Video Camera and various other bits of techy stuff which are sitting around doing nothing.
The lazy side of me say's I'm holding them back for a rainy day (which to some extent is true) and the other side say's sell them ASAP.

My frugality with heating is still on a good level but unsure, if I'm still down the Lane next Winter, if I want to be sawing, axing and splitting wood for hours upon end.

Like many I have a few Direct Debits which need to be looked at.

My big aim is to use Public Transport more. I have a free Bus Pass and free Rail Travel for 32 days a year (or 75% discount if it's a short journey).
This would save me a lot especially when going to Southampton, the round trip petrol costing around £30 each time. Too often I go down there, park the car in my daughters drive for 4 days and don't touch it til I drive back home again.

Most things I'm not too bad on, but must return to the frugal roots I had a few years ago.

I can get by, just, as I am but emergencies can spring up and it's nice to have that little bit extra when thinking of a holiday or treat.

Richard )t'
New Member? Get more from the Forum and join in 'Members Chat' - you're very welcome
anglynn
Lively Laner

Re: Richard's Frugal 2014

Post by anglynn »

Richard,

How nice that you have a bus pass, as well as the rail pass. Quite a nice cost cutter. The only short distance rail we have in my area is a transit from Norfolk (Virginia) and Virginia Beach. I live in the next city over, but the area is out of my comfort zone. I'm not sure if they offer senior discounts or not. I know next month I will qualify for a reduction in property taxes. We'll see how much.
Maggie1

Post by Maggie1 »

We are also lucky here as pensioners get bus and rail free
Richard

Post by Richard »

Hi

The Rail Pass is part of my Pension package so I'm lucky with that. I only pay £1 on London Underground. Luckily I joined the Railway when it was still Public owned and the benefits were not taken away from us when it went private.

I ordered some more Rayburn Fuel today, CPL have buy five and get one free, so a saving of a few £'s.
The chap said to me 'you're not saving much'.
I replied I was and it's worth two weeks of Cat Food that :).

Richard
New Member? Get more from the Forum and join in 'Members Chat' - you're very welcome
Mo
Legendary Laner

Post by Mo »

All English pensioners get free bus travel (local, I think, not long distance coaches) and there are probably cheap train tickets available if you buy a pensioners rail-card. But it used to cover the Park & Ride bus from the outskirts of our nearest town, to the centre. Quite a shock when we tried to use it and were charged.
Dance caller. http://mo-dance-caller.blogspot.co.uk/p/what-i-do.html
Sunny Clucker enjoyed Folk music and song in mid-Cheshire
Richard

Post by Richard »

Right Mo. Bus Passes are free to the over 60's throughout the UK (although I have no doubt that will change with all these retirement age changes).

The Rail Pass is known as the Senior Rail Pass. You buy it (special offer if you pay for a three year) then get a third off rail fares....

http://www.senior-railcard.co.uk/

Richard )t'
anglynn
Lively Laner

Post by anglynn »

Sounds like quite a nice perk. It's nice to hear seniors are respected in your country. Two of the grocery stores in my area have a 10% discount one day a week for seniors. The days are different, so I shop those stores on the respective day.
Richard

Post by Richard »

Sounds a good deal Anglyn.

You may have read that this morning I made a phone call to my Electricity Supplier and got £14 per month knocked off my Direct Debit by changing Tarif.

It's a shame this is through more a complaint than by acting frugally but it's £14 anyway you look at it!

Can't wait for a dry day to get amongst the dead recently fallen trees down the Lane.

Richard
Richard

Post by Richard »

Dry day !!!!!

We had one here two or three days ago so I made my way down to the woods and brought back quite a lot.

Thing is that I have to put what I need into the Rayburn Plate Warmer bit to dry it off for kindling later in the day.

Serves me right, I should have collected more last Autumn - one of those "I'll do that next week" things.

I'm really pleased with my low mileage in the car this month though. I've only used when I've had to and walked to the nearest shop (about one mile away) a few times.

I still have over half a tank which I filled up on 28th. December.

Richard
Richard

Post by Richard »

Perry Court Farm just down the road from me were selling Sprout Trees for £1 so I brought one if only to vary a bit from my own home grown freezer contents of Runners, Carrots, Courgettes etc.

It's a good job they can last up to six weeks, I worked it out I have to eat them every other day mixed with something else for 4 weeks !!

Richard
Clucky Carol
Lively Laner

Post by Clucky Carol »

Hi Richard, what are sprout trees, I've never heard of them? Sounds interesting! Love Clucky xx
Mo
Legendary Laner

Post by Mo »

I assume Richard means that instead of harvesting individual sprouts the farmer has cut off the whole stem, and you do the picking as you want them.
I have one in my porch that OH bought maybe 3 weeks ago. But the outside leaves are going yellow, so I think 6 weeks is optimistic. Richard may have to blanche and freeze some of his.
Dance caller. http://mo-dance-caller.blogspot.co.uk/p/what-i-do.html
Sunny Clucker enjoyed Folk music and song in mid-Cheshire
Clucky Carol
Lively Laner

Post by Clucky Carol »

Aaah thanks Mo, I would never have got there on my own, I thought sprouting seeds of some sort {hug} {rofwl} Bless ...I'm learning! X
Richard

Post by Richard »

Thanks Mo.

Because there's so many overlaps on Forum (still!!) I'll post this here..

Down the Lane Video Diary - early Feb 2014.

[center][youtube]YNJ3k4WtgyY[/youtube][/center]

Richard )t'
barkingmad
Lively Laner

Post by barkingmad »

I loved your video Richard.
Made me smile :-D

My new hens are settling in now and later they will all get to mix in the garden. Although they might need willies bless umm.

I'v been out looking for pallets again to use to reinforce my back garden as my dog keeps finding his way out.. }hairout{ naughty toby