Cupcake frosting recipe anyone?

Recipes, Cooking tips and maybe some 'Home Made' secrets !
Willow
Legendary Laner

Cupcake frosting recipe anyone?

Post by Willow »

Does anyone know a frosting recipe which is pipeable, tasty and not too sweet??
"Everyone is a genius. But if you judge a fish on its ability to climb a tree, it will live its whole life believing that it is stupid"

Albert Einstein
Mad Chick

Re: Cupcake frosting recipe anyone?

Post by Mad Chick »

I make Italian Meringue buttercream for cupcakes - it's softer and easier to pipe with. I found this recipe while I was researching on youtube how to pipe swirls etc and it really is worth the effort )pg(

Ingredients
5 large egg whites
50g caster sugar
250g caster sugar
100ml water
500g butter, really soft

1. Whip the egg whites until soft peaks (foamy but don't hold their shape), add the 50g sugar a spoonful at a time and then carry on whipping until stiff peaks. Leave to one side.

2. In a pan, place the water and 250g caster sugar. Heat over a low heat, swilling the pan around to dissolve the sugar. When the sugar has melted and syrup turned clear, increase to a medium heat. Boil the syrup until it reaches 121c (this will take around 10 minutes)
I used a digital thermometer for this bit but was a bit of a pain as the syrup wasn't deep enough to register on it so I kept having to tip the pan (thus taking it off the heat) and then it stopped boiling! A sugar thermometer would be best, or a smaller pan..

3. When the syrup reaches 121c, take off the heat. Turn the mixer back on a slow speed and very gradually pour the hot syrup in at a slow steady stream, mixing all the time.

4. When the syrup and meringue are combined, leave the mixer running on slow while the meringue cools - this will take about 8-10 minutes until the bowl is cool to the touch.

5. With the mixer still running on slow, slowly add the butter to the meringue, bit by bit. about half way through adding the butter you will have lost a lot of volume and your mixture will be slightly liquidy, don't worry, just carry on adding the butter and it will thicken again.

6. When all the butter is added, whip up again until it looks like whipped double cream.

It seems like a bit of a pain to make but it really wasn't that bad... and it is possibly the best frosting I have ever tasted. We left ours plain but you can add flavourings like vanilla essence or lemon oil etc. Also being pure white rather than yellowy it looks fab and takes up food colours better than standard buttercream.

Give it a go, it's worth it )c+
Lucy x

Always do sober what you said you'd do drunk. That will teach you to keep your mouth shut - Ernest Hemingway
Willow
Legendary Laner

Post by Willow »

"Everyone is a genius. But if you judge a fish on its ability to climb a tree, it will live its whole life believing that it is stupid"

Albert Einstein
Mercedes
Legendary Laner

Post by Mercedes »

That does sound lovely Lucy. I used to make a lot of cupcakes and gave up because we got fed up of how sweet and sickly the buttercream was. It always looked lovely and was a breeze to pipe but there is only so much you can eat :?
Lyn

Post by Freeranger »

Have also used icing sugar with a couple of drops of vanilla essence then natural yogurt added & mixed a little at a time until the right consistency for decorating.