Best tip of 2013 for 2014?

Thrifty tips, ideas, news & experiences on anything around the home to shopping to re-cycling etc.
Clucky Carol
Lively Laner

Re: Best tip of 2013 for 2014?

Post by Clucky Carol »

Hi All, enjoying reading all the ideas ... Thank you.
I am trying to not throw any food away this year, and so far doing pretty well. It is really making a difference to my buying habits as I am using up the freezer contents and trying to ensure I do use all the "oddsies" that get left in the veg basket at the bottom of the fridge. I think the log of spend is really important ... But we have gone back to our "first married" way. We have a little cash book, write in all the usual expenses, and then keep a note but take out cash for the week. This gives us both a way of keeping an eye on the spend - when it's gone it's gone - it does focus us on what we can afford.

Chickens are doing well, lots of cooked up treats too!

Love Clucky Carol xx
lancashire lass
Legendary Laner

Post by lancashire lass »

I've certainly found writing a shopping list before I go out has been very helpful - what do I need, write it down and then stick to it. As well as just going straight to the aisles where the items are located, not only do I avoid seeing those "oh, I fancy that" but my visit to the supermarket are quicker too LOL - a couple of weeks ago with a list it cost about £13, last week I forgot the list and it cost £29, this week with the list (and limited cash in the purse I might add) £9.50p .... now how's that for evidence that a list works!

With regards to this week's list, I did a rough calculation of how much the shopping should come to before going out. As mentioned, I didn't have much money on me so I was even more careful of what exactly I needed rather than wanted. I know I still have a good stock of food on the shelves and freezer, as well as potato stores so there really is no reason to go and buy more without using those up first. Unfortunately I've run out of winter greens so had to buy something for the chickens to supplement the chickweed and anything else I can find on the plot - so growing a lot more winter stuff will be a priority this year )t'
jackian
Legendary Laner

Post by jackian »

lancashire lass wrote: Unfortunately I've run out of winter greens so had to buy something for the chickens to supplement the chickweed and anything else I can find on the plot - so growing a lot more winter stuff will be a priority this year )t'

This year I grew a lot of chard especially for the chickens and it s just pick the leaves and keeps growing and growing and I still have loads left .It has gone on all through the winter.
As for getting what is only on our list I have just started on line grocery shopping and I am saving money as I am not tempted too much.
It started for my 87 year old dad so he did not have to go to town so much and decided it was a great idea for me and t is working . .
4 lovely girls~~ Clover, the oldie and top chick Bonnie second in command .new girls Bluebell and Blossom.
2 lovely new girls 19-01-2015~~ Chelsea and Ruby.
Eva , Florry , Poppy ,Annie and Rosie R.I.P
The key to everything is patience. You get the chicken by hatching the egg, not by smashing it.” - unknown
Clucky Carol
Lively Laner

Post by Clucky Carol »

Thanks Jackian, am just doing my planting ideas for this year, how much did you plant? Mine love sweet corn, but because of the water issues on Exmoor last year ours wasn't very successful! Difficult to remember the dry Summer now, we are not on mains water but have a well that was dry! Now we have three enormous storage tanks tucked out of sight, they have been consistently refilled all winter, practically on a daily basis! Just wish winter would end, or at least the rain! Xxxx
jackian
Legendary Laner

Post by jackian »

I planted about metre square .Tucked right in the corner out of the way . Even if it goes to seed just break off that bit and it will carry on . You get loads of see ds in a packet and it is similar to spinach so great to eat your self.
4 lovely girls~~ Clover, the oldie and top chick Bonnie second in command .new girls Bluebell and Blossom.
2 lovely new girls 19-01-2015~~ Chelsea and Ruby.
Eva , Florry , Poppy ,Annie and Rosie R.I.P
The key to everything is patience. You get the chicken by hatching the egg, not by smashing it.” - unknown
Mo
Legendary Laner

Post by Mo »

I wonder how it would do in Cheshire. I've never grown it though I used to grow spinach and enjoy spinach topped with a poached egg (which takes away the bitterness and complements the flavour somehow)
Dance caller. http://mo-dance-caller.blogspot.co.uk/p/what-i-do.html
Sunny Clucker enjoyed Folk music and song in mid-Cheshire
Clucky Carol
Lively Laner

Post by Clucky Carol »

Will put chard on the list, sounds great - just dug over my first raised bed, we have very heavy clay soil, so staying off as I have raised beds, but planning my programme of planting, so definitely in, thank you.

Mmmm poached egg on spinach ... Breakfast here I come. {rofwl} xxx
lancashire lass
Legendary Laner

Post by lancashire lass »

Mo wrote:I wonder how it would do in Cheshire. I've never grown it though I used to grow spinach

Chard is actually leaf beet - as in related to beetroot rather than spinach. You can grow "perpetual spinach" which is just a plain green leafy chard, or ones with a variety of coloured stems (ruby, orange, salmon, yellow - usually sold mixed in a packet called "Bright Lights" or pure white called "Silver", then there's Swiss Chard) Very easy to germinate in spring, and just like beetroot, in fertile soil, they do well.

The coloured stems are quite spectacular - the red stems seem to have darker leaves (look almost like rhubarb) Unfortunately I wasn't struck on it as a vegetable so haven't bothered growing it but will do this year )t'
Scrambled
Lively Laner

Post by Scrambled »

lancashire lass wrote: Sounds like a good buy )t' Have you got any plans for your purchase - carrot cake?

I've used the first of them in a cottage pie and think I'll might make some carrot and lentil soup or something too. Daren't make a cake, really need to cut out fun / naughty food :-D

Mo wrote:What do they taste like though? When we bought horse carrots (for the horse) I tried them and decided they were not the same tasty variety sold for people.

No difference in the cottage pie, but it does have quite a lot of herbs and flavouring in it - I haven't eaten any raw yet, in salad so maybe I'd notice a difference then. The only thing that is a bit of a pain is all the peeling, because a lot of them seem to be broken carrots, so it's a big bag of small carrots :? but I think I can live with that.