Why buy Kindling Wood?

Thrifty tips, ideas, news & experiences on anything around the home to shopping to re-cycling etc.
Richard
Lord Lane of Down...... Site Owner

Why buy Kindling Wood?

Post by Richard »

Three small bits of wood I picked up passing a Skip - Using Grandads old hand axe (remember it as a boy so at least 60 yrs old) and five minutes later - job done.

[center]Image

Image[/center]

I'd get less than that for £2.99 at a Petrol Station.

I'm sure many of you do it as well

Richard
New Member? Get more from the Forum and join in 'Members Chat' - you're very welcome
Totally Scrambled
Site Admin

Re: Why buy Kindling Wood?

Post by Totally Scrambled »

Richard,
If that's a photo of your Grandad's old hand axe then I think another visit to the memory clinic is in order 'cos that is a billhook )run(
Would you be interested it oak branches from half an ich to about two inches diameter for use as kindling. I will be cutting back an oak in my garden this Spring and am sure to have quite a bit of this sized wood left over. I can always drop it down to you.
Dom
Ali Woks My World
perchy

Post by perchy »

Well done Dom {hug} you have won the "spot the deliberate mistake" competition )w(
Richard

Post by Richard »

Look it cuts wood, so for me it's a hand axe. :oops:
Note the way it's been lovingly restored with Masking Tape.

True story.....when I was in Retail I used to put some showcards in the window display upside down - so many people came in to tell me......

....then often had a look round :-D

I'm going to get my horse muck now.
New Member? Get more from the Forum and join in 'Members Chat' - you're very welcome
jemberelli
Legendary Laner

Post by jemberelli »

Since moving to a house with an open fire in November, I have turned into a complete wood scavenger! Hubby takes the mick out of me but I'm sure he's happy that it is saving us money! Yesterday I went to buy a splitter maul at bee and queue and, for the first time, there was wood in the free to take away bin at the exit so I loaded quite a bit of handy stuff into the boot! Hubby is away for a week so between sawing/splitting the wood and keeping pup occupied I should be kept nice & busy )t'
No girls at the moment but look forward to getting more in the future. Proud mummy to Hector, a Bedlington Terrier x Jack Russell
Richard

Post by Richard »

Good for you Jembers.

Although occasionally hard work I do find it quite therapeutic. I find you can think a lot when doing that sort of thing and thinking is something the whole world should do a bit more often.

Richard )t' )t'
AL37
Admin Moderator

Post by AL37 »

I never buy sticks either Richard. I have a large plastic tub where any offcuts from various projects get thrown. If its getting low I know its time I made something from wood. )t'
[center]Relax, I could have been a twin.[/center]
Richard

Post by Richard »

)t'

It amazes me to see people buying kindling in the Petrol Stations, for the amount of actual wood it is, it's almost criminal!

I guess one has to account for busy people, those with no space and those who aren't into the more frugal approach.

Richard
Totally Scrambled
Site Admin

Post by Totally Scrambled »

This stack is bigger than when I took the photo, been seasoning under the trees since last Spring. I reckon I'll have at least double that again when I do the oak so if you want any give me a shout Richard.
Dom
Ali Woks My World
Richard

Post by Richard »

Thanks Mate )t'

I usually do a weekly walk down the woods, haven't a clue what some of the trees are which are dead, but it burns well !

I still have access to the logs at the Mill House, that's two years now and the Gardener's just sawn up a load more from the fallen trees.

I'm very lucky.

Richard
HensAloud
Legendary Laner

Post by HensAloud »

I'm always plundering skips, my fave adventure was the one outside a posh hotel in Stratford that was having some renovation work done. I managed to attract the builders attention eventually by jumping up and down waving at the upper floor windows ( still got it {rofwl} ) what's up duck he said so I asked if I could have all the off cuts from the skip 'elp yerself love he said. So I fetched the car and parked it up next to the skip, on a yellow line. I then filled the car, but there was too many choice bits in the bottom to leave So dressed to the nines and wearing heels I jumped in, in full view of shoppers and the busy market oppersite. I did get plenty of amused looks. Then along comes blinkin parking warden/traffic warden or what ever they call themselves nowadays, bearing in mind I was on a double yellow line I thought I was in for a fine or telling off, so I smiled and said hello, he said " well I think I've seen it all now " and walked on. Result car jam packed with new off cuts which David has used for bits and bobs and remainder firewood.
Angela
Usually Barking Up the Wrong Tree
Mo
Legendary Laner

Post by Mo »

They * say that wood warms you twice. First when you saw it and then when you burn it.

*someone or other, I heard it on the wireless - maybe gardeners Question Time years ago.
Dance caller. http://mo-dance-caller.blogspot.co.uk/p/what-i-do.html
Sunny Clucker enjoyed Folk music and song in mid-Cheshire
davina112
Legendary Laner

Post by davina112 »

I came home from work one day and spotted an old (taken apart) wardrobe down the side of the garage. I was not amused and sauce go hubby, I thought we were clearing away rubbish not collecting it. It has been used for kindling all winter for both our stoves, and there's still loads left :oops:
[center][/center]Davina
chookmike
Longlasting Laner

Post by chookmike »

An over wealthy friend of mine buys petrol station kindling and lives in a house in a wood - dead timber all over the place! Just no common sense. You could but a piece of timber at Wiiickes for £1.20 and make a tenners worth of petrol station kindling in 10 minutes and not even get a splinter. Money is wasted on the rich. The only thing I hate about our house is no open fire.

Mike
bmpsands
Legendary Laner

Post by bmpsands »

I've been "stick logging" today. I take my rucksac on the dogwalk and if I pass any likely bits and pieces it comes home with me. The recent windy weather has brought down loads of stuff that is too small to be called logs, but when dried it makes lovely kindling. Today also netted two pieces about 3ft long and with a diameter of approx 3inches. I'm going to claim that these will be proper logs when cut up.
Bea; 19 hens (most of whom I intended to get); 6 bantams (which I never intended to have); old Benji dog and young Toby dog (who I definitely wanted). Three years into country living and loving it.