Maggies gardening diary 2014

Members adventures in the Vegetable Patch all year round
Maggie1

Maggies gardening diary 2014

Post by Maggie1 »

Well after last years disastrous yield of fruit and veg, and OH inconvenience it's a brand new start. There's a lot of clearing to do and now we've moved our fruit cage, thats all got to be re-planted. The polytunnel also needs clearing as thats just been left and looks like a jungle. One good thing the bulbs are popping up everywhere. At the moment I would be an idiot to try and do anything in the garden as its so wet and would be a waste of time.
little brown hen
Legendary Laner

Re: Maggies gardening diary 2014

Post by little brown hen »

Its the same here Maggie, so wet and horrible Ive gone and done husbandry things, but digging is too heavy for me and its really frustrating. Still its got to stop raining sometime soon I hope. :-D
Mum to Sox and Boo,and hens, Bramble,
Belle,Bourbon,Holly,Ivy, May and June
RIP Daisy my cat,and Spice, Clara, Alice, Biscuit, Cookie Clarice and Henrietta. Over rainbow bridge, but never forgotten.
Maggie1

Post by Maggie1 »

I strolled down to the Polytunnel to pick some kale we've got growing in there. I've utilised where the tomato's grew with daffodils so I get the best of Spring and Summer. Couldn't believe the daffs are in bud and last year I'd planted sweet peas both sides of an arch in there. One side was better than the other. Yesterday I noticed the bad side of sweet peas have shot up the arch and in full leaf, so hopefully I'll get some early sweet peas.
Maggie1

Post by Maggie1 »

3rd March 2014

Well we've had a lovely day with beautiful sunshine till 3 and then it chucked down. The fruit cage has been taken from one side of the garden to the other. So the structure is in situ so I decided to have a dig. I was surprised how crumbly the soil was. I thought it would be just mud. Came in and had some lunch. By the time lunch was done it was starting to look bleak so spent the afternoon in the Polytunnel. We've had rats in there and found their blooming run. We've put poison down and I think we've got rid of the little bug..rs. The sweet pea left from last year is right to the top of the arch now, and the daffs have been lovely in there.
I'd got the hanging baskets from last year that still had strawberries in so I've given them a good soak to see if they are any good. If not I shall plant some up from the old fruit cage. I'd also planted 4 new hanging baskets with strawberries that I'd got cheap from Aldy. I did it last year and we was eating strawberries late April. Hope I'll be as lucky this year.
I'd also bought some Gypsophia and Lily of the valley in Aldy I've potted those up and I've still got a load of dahlias I want to give a start to. I am now absolutely pooped and ready for my tea but the tea fairy has gone on strike so it looks like I've got to get up again.
Maggie1

Post by Maggie1 »

Well for a change we've had some sunshine. Made the most of it and OH cut the grass. The daffs look lovely but oh so windswept.

I planted the strawberries, Gypsophia and Lily of the valley and they have all sprouted. In fact the Lily of the valley has 2 blooms on it
As the strawberries have
Richard
Lord Lane of Down...... Site Owner

Post by Richard »

Nice pictures Maggie, not bad going for the weather you've been having over there.

Richard
New Member? Get more from the Forum and join in 'Members Chat' - you're very welcome
Maggie1

Post by Maggie1 »

shhh we've got sunshine this morning. First time for over a week.
Maggie1

Post by Maggie1 »

13th April 2014

Had a week away in UK and its surprising how the stuff has grown. My front garden is a mass of colour with the wallflowers, daffodils and tulips.
I managed to get out yesterday morning and dead head everything so it looks a bit tidier. In the afternoon I set a whole load of seeds 6 different pots of annual seeds and 6 pots of perennial seeds. I did some sweet peas as well. Also sowed a load of runner beans in pots. I do that each year rather than put them straight into the ground.
Went into the Polytunnel and the peas I sowed just over a week ago are about 2 inches high. Sadly all the daffs are all over in there so waiting now for their leaves to go yellow before I get rid and clear that area for my tomatoes which I have potted on. The strawberries in the hanging baskets have really come on nice and strong and about 6 inches high. My bonus this year was, earlier on I was clearing the old sweet peas away and found 3 small ones struggling. So I cleared all the dead and wound the struggler's up the arch. Look what I picked yesterday. The perfume from them is intoxicating.