Insurance

Thrifty tips, ideas, news & experiences on anything around the home to shopping to re-cycling etc.
p.penn

Insurance

Post by p.penn »

Now I know I have posted about this before, but honestly, I can hardly believe it.

My previous post was about car insurance a few months back. When I got my renewal notice I thought £37 per month - hmmm, may look around. So I went onto a comparison site and got insurance for £12.50 a month plus a yummy meercat toy! I was really pleased and to be honest, it was a good lesson learned, and I decided never again just to renew an insurance without shopping around.

Right, so back to now. My buildings & contents were due for renewal. When I originally had buildings insurance back in the year dot, it was tied to the mortgage company, but over the years things changed and about 5 years ago, when I had a renewal of nearly £700 (plus contents at about £24 p.m. with a different company) I decided to have a look round at found it for approx £350 with free contents insurance (all the time there were no claims). So that was a massive saving and I could hardly believe it. I have stayed with them for 5 years, but when the renewal came I thought at approx £45 p.m., it was really steep. and I was thinking of actually going without any insurance at all. :?

Then this little voice popped up in my head.....car....look....free meercat....so I h1ad a look. Just over £12 p.m. for contents and buildings. plus baby Oleg is winging his way to me!!! No brainer eh?

The only thing I would say is to check your personal details and cover really carefully, as there seems to be a bit of a discrepancy between the answers you give on the comparison site, and those of the actual insurer and it is your responsibility to check they are correct.

The other thing I would say is when I rang to cancel my other insurer, they did actually lower the price (I think Perchy mentioned this one before) but came nowhere near the price I am now paying. So if you would rather stay with your current insurer, you could get quotes and then talk to them. At least you may get some reduction. :-D
Helen xx

3 children, 3 grandchildren, 3 chooks, 3 fish, a shrimp that thinks its a prawn and a dappy dog.
http://www.acountrygrandma.blogspot.com
perchy

Re: Insurance

Post by perchy »

Well done Helen and Oleg is gorgeous, fortunately for me mine matched the price I was quoted so saved £700 )c(
Maggie1

Post by Maggie1 »

As you say check your details. As you know my Sister died last July. She had been paying £45 a month by direct debit out of her account which in fact is a joint account with myself. When I sold the house in December I phoned them to stop the insurance and was promptly told as I hadn't told them she had died the policy was void from the date of her death and in fact the house and contents haven't been insured since July even though they have been taking £45 out of her account each month.
Dave
Legendary Laner

Post by Dave »

Dog insurance
Was paying £30 per dog (I have two English springers) per month
Went looking and got it £30 for both dogs two years ago )t'
This year it went up to £20 per dog (still ok ish)
We made a claim for a small lump to be removed from one of the dogs early this year.
This year one dog is still £20 per month but the other dog who had the op has gone up to £40 {mr.angry}
The claim was for £450 but with £100 excess plus a 20% loading as the dog is over 5
So £450 the claim -20% = £360 - £100 excess. Yes that's how they worked it out
I ended up with £260 {mr.angry}
Now for the best bit --- as they have increased the dogs premium by £20 for two years, after that the premium will drop to the same as the other one.
£20 extra for two years = £440 and remember that's extra and they only paid out £260 to me.
Not happy and seriously thinking of cancelling
"The trouble with quotes over the Internet is that you never know if they are genuine." -- Abraham Lincoln