The truth about your dogs food......

Dogs, Cats, Fish, Parrots, Horses, ALL Domestic Pets
Gwenoakes
Legendary Laner

Re: The truth about your dogs food......

Post by Gwenoakes »

Just thought I would let you know that I have found another food which has no cereals in. It is Origin Wild Prey, is a dry food, no cereal and 80% meat and apparently Kennel Gate pet shop sell it, but it is not cheap.

Came from one of our prospective roofing clients as we noticed a HUGE dog in a kennel when measuring up a roof and when I asked him about it, it turns out to be the only imported Russian Shepherd in this country and stands to weigh 13.5 stone when fully grown! Looks similar to a GSD but obviously much bigger. He has 20 dogs in total the remainder are GSD and feeds all his on this food, he is an advanced trainer too, but not for pet dogs.

Suprising what you find out if you talk to people.......
Benny&Co
Project Hedgehog Leader

Post by Benny&Co »

Thanks for that Gwen )t'

Well, we've been to see Roman this morning and he doesn't want us to switch Benny's food, citing lots of potential medical problems as Benny's been on his kibble practically all of his life :?

I'm feeling very torn at the moment.

Not only that but both Hubbly and my folks all think we should follow Roman's advice. In fairness, Benny's never had any real tummy troubles, he's healthy and always has a lovely shiney coat.

I've got a raw food Handbook, which I'm going to send to Roman and politely ask his opinion on it all.

>dum<
Bev x
Our family: my-Lovely-Hubbly and I, Benny and our two little Ladies - Betty and Gloria.

RIP dear little Ladies - Lottie, Cottie, Elsie, Dottie, Hilda and Margie. You may have gone, but are never ever forgotten.
kate egg
Legendary Laner

Post by kate egg »

I think you have to keep things in perspective, unless you are feeding the food with lots of colourings and / or really cheap ingredients (I cannot name it here, don't want to cause a law suit!) then the best food that you can afford that suits you and your dog is probably perfectly OK. No they wouldn't go and eat a field of corn in the wild but they would eat the contents of a rabbit's stomach for instance that contained grasses and so on. I asked the girl at Kennelgate once why even the better quality foods contained grains and she gave me a very plausible answer that I cannot remember now.....

Domestic dogs have evolved and have probably eaten many things that they wouldn't have thousands of years ago but that doesn't mean they will always do them harm and that they won't thrive. Wartime dogs thrived on whatever scraps they could get hold of! I think the film was a bit like any newspaper and so on- scare mongering to make a good story.

I feed mine on CSJ you can mainly buy it online, although they do have local stockists. It is a very good well researched food and the prices are very reasonable as they don't have massive marketing overheads. Yes there is some grain (rice) in it but I am happy that it's the best food that I can afford for my dogs. I did make my own dog food for about a year but the poops were very sloppy and it was very time consuming, life got in the way so I stopped. Also tried BARF for a while but wasn't happy that after about 6 weeks there was still sharp bits in the poop.
Benny&Co
Project Hedgehog Leader

Post by Benny&Co »

What is CSJ Kate?
Bev x
Our family: my-Lovely-Hubbly and I, Benny and our two little Ladies - Betty and Gloria.

RIP dear little Ladies - Lottie, Cottie, Elsie, Dottie, Hilda and Margie. You may have gone, but are never ever forgotten.
kate egg
Legendary Laner

Post by kate egg »

CSJ is a good quality food that a lot of my Springer Spaniel owning friends feed to their dogs. That's how I heard about it. They make a variety to suit different requirements and ages. If you have a look at the website http://www.csjk9.com/ there's a contact page where you can tell them about your dog(s) and they assess what they think is the best for your dog and will send samples to try out. (I'm nothing to do with the company by the way, just a happy customer :-D ) I am lucky that my local kennels is a stockist so I don't have to pay carriage costs.