New veg garden.....

Gardening to 'grow your own food' from square foot to half an acre !!
Mo
Legendary Laner

Re: New veg garden.....

Post by Mo »

I find the cheapest for seeds is Wilko if I get into town. Their own label. And often they have 3 for the price of the 2 dearest.
Browsing online might give you an idea of what you want.
Dance caller. http://mo-dance-caller.blogspot.co.uk/p/what-i-do.html
Sunny Clucker enjoyed Folk music and song in mid-Cheshire
Thomassio
Lively Laner

Post by Thomassio »

Thanks Karen. I will keep wilkos in mind but unfortunately I'm a little obsessive and so, LL, premier seeds direct have just had an order from me. Saved about 8quid on what I would have ordered from Thompson Morgans so thanks again!
bmpsands
Legendary Laner

Post by bmpsands »

I kow little or nothing about veg growing, but with the help of Laners we started a veggie garden when we moved last year.

Apart from the cabbage white fiasco, which cost us most of our kale crop and all of the sprouts, we had a pretty good year.

We are still eating the french and runner beans. They were very prolific and so easy to freeze so we'll grow even more this year. I pop out to the garden once a week and lift leeks for dinner. They just sit there all through the bad weather and wait for you to go and get them. We grew two rows of onions along two sides of our raised beds. They've almost all gone now, but we supplemented them with "ordinary" onions from the supermarket when cooking things where the quality was less of an issue.

Red lettuce was great. This year we have a polytunnel, so I'm going to start some of that off any day now. Corn salad (lambs lettuce) grew well and so just planting a few each week kept me going all summer.

Beetroot was good. We pickled enough for everyone in our family/friends circle to have home made for Christmas. You can also pick some of the young tops for use in salad without apparently harming the plant too much.

We used one corner of the raised bed for strawberries because our neighbour offered us a dozen plants. Hugely successful.

If you make the same mistake we did in terms of succession planting you will become very popular with friends and family. A glut of anything is usually rehomed successfully and I've had some good barter opportunities. Three jars of pickled beetroot equals 3 jars of homemade jam; 3 cucumbers = 3 caulis etc. Magic.

Honestly, between getting chickens and a veggie plot I feel as though this move to the country has been more beneficial than I could have ever imagined.

Good luck.

Bea
Bea; 19 hens (most of whom I intended to get); 6 bantams (which I never intended to have); old Benji dog and young Toby dog (who I definitely wanted). Three years into country living and loving it.