Pets in flooded areas

Dogs, Cats, Fish, Parrots, Horses, ALL Domestic Pets
albertajune
Legendary Laner

Pets in flooded areas

Post by albertajune »

We don't hear much about the poor animals in the flooded areas who must also be suffering. I have seen a couple of people in boats with their dogs and the awful conditions that some farm animals are having to live in, but wildlife must be suffering greatly as well.
I saw one lady on the news yesterday who was going back to rescue her two small pigs. One is blind and the other deaf and she said they must be terrified. Also a farmer who's family has had to leave their home while he has to stay to see to his sheep who will soon be lambing. Sadly, most animals are seen as belongings that have to be left to fend for themselves when disaster strikes.
I am now a widow and live with my memories.
kitla
Legendary Laner

Re: Pets in flooded areas

Post by kitla »

I've also been wondering how people are managing with their pets, I'd have a job
fitting my lot in a dingy! I was expecting to see requests of help for temporary
homes for them but haven't. It does look like the RSPCA are being quite active,
giving out advice & rescuing/sheltering which is good to see.
"He who is cruel to animals becomes hard also in his dealings with men. We can judge the heart of a man by his treatment of animals."
--Immanuel Kant
p.penn

Post by p.penn »

Yes, awful. I was watching last eve too, and did think that Bailey would be the first thing I thought about - but a springer and 5 chooks in a dinghy? yike*

I wonder about the little mice and hedgehogs too, poor things. {cry}
Helen xx

3 children, 3 grandchildren, 3 chooks, 3 fish, a shrimp that thinks its a prawn and a dappy dog.
http://www.acountrygrandma.blogspot.com
Totally Scrambled
Site Admin

Post by Totally Scrambled »

Most pets you can pick up and move if you need to but spare a thought for the fish.
It might sound silly that fish could suffer from flooding but people who have ponds that flood will loose their fish and chances are that with all the chemicals and sewerage in the water they won't survive. Any in tanks indoors that rely on heat or airation will be at risk if the power goes off or if the water rises enough to top the tank.
A dog, cat, hampster etc. are pretty portable but how do you go about rescuing and pond/tankful of fish?
Dom
Ali Woks My World
Maggie1

Post by Maggie1 »

We are in the middle of farmland and a lot of it is flooded. The farmers just seem to get on with it and move the animals to a higher site or take them in. Last year they brought them in much earlier and was just giving them feed, which you can imagine the price rocketed. Some didn't get their animals out till May so I think it was far worse for them last year than this. There is terrible flooding here as a lot of places but I've seen lambs out already.
albertajune
Legendary Laner

Post by albertajune »

Dom, an interesting comment about the fish. I saw on a news article that one guy who had fish stock for sale had some of them swim away. I must admit that until recently I hadn't considered the pollution, so as you say lots will be killed. Even river fish may end up floundering about on fields as the water subsides.
A tremendous tragedy.
I am now a widow and live with my memories.